Will Psycho deal with Thatcher?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Will Psycho deal with Thatcher?

Post by Kinoulton »

You may have noticed that I'm a massive fan of Stuart Pearce, as a player, as a leader and as a man.

But that could all change depending on how he deals with last nights incident.

For those that didn't see it, Ben Thatcher ran full speed at Pedro Mendes who was concentrating on playing the ball. Thatcher smashed him in the face with his forarm, knocking him to the ground, landed on him and sort of "rode" him into the advertising boards.

It was sickening and cowardly, Mendes just didn't see him coming. He had a fit and was rushed to hospital.

I would expect a man of Pearce's stature to at the very least put him on the transfer list and freeze him out of any training or any participation in any club activities.

Admittedly Pearce's somewhat guarded comments broadcast this morning were recorded just after the final whistle when he probably hadn't had time to think. And his view of the incident from the dug-out will have been poor. (Even the ref only awarded a booking.)

But surely when he's had chance to see the thing on TV he'll take action?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I didn't see that incident as I didn't watch the football last night. However, the incident sounds extremely bad and Thatcher could have caused serious damage to Mendes well being. I don't mean there that he hasn't but that he might still have.

My gut instinct is that Stuart Pearce as a Manager would at least not say anything anway against Thatcher in front of the cameras or be guarded as any Manager will not condemn an invidual in front of the media but that Man City will hold an internal investigation into Ben Thatcher's conduct as more then likely the FA will. Firstly as the incident was caught on camera and secondly, it would probably have been reported by the referee or another official anyway.

I would hope that Stuart Pearce takes action against the player in the way you suggest. I am not going to condemn Pyscho yet though. Lets wait and see what happens.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

The problem is that the FA may be constrained by their own rules. The referee did "deal" with the incident at the time by awarding a free-kick and a yellow card. This effectively stops the FA intervening any further.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Pity about that. Seems disappointing that their own rules prevent the FA from taking further action. So the onus is fully on City to punish the player. Hopefully, the club will act to punish such an unpleasant act by Thatcher, to say the least.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 281686.stm

At the risk of irritating the roundy ball people, what a stupid set of rules. If the ref didn't fully see the incident & therefore acted on what he saw at the time, but that was actually an inadequate punishment, there ought to be the equivalent of a citing officer. He probably wouldn't be used often, but it's a good safeguard.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Just watched the video of this on sky sports - absolutely disgusting - should be banned from football altogether! I am a fan of stuart pearce and hopefully he will drop this mindless jake from the team - no need for it!

Not sure how to put the link in, sory.
Never move faster than your guardian angel can fly...
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 281686.stm

I think justice could be seen at some time.

Dave - just copy the whole link at the top of the web page (including the http) and post it into your reply. Beware of really long links, though!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

If that was only a yellow card offence then approximately 23454567 previous bookings should now be rescinded!!
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Thanks DCat - looks as though it has gone from SS now...
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Having started this thread, I'd just like to say that Thatcher should be dealt with within the world of football and not the police.

You cannot compare what happens on the field of play (be it football or Rugby) with what happens in the street.

True, if someone ran at you in the street and smashed you in the face, you'd want them arrested. But this wasn't in the street.

The sports field is an environment where you can perfectly legally take someone's legs away, so long as they are carrying the ball (rugby). You can barge them to the ground, in order to get the ball (football). You can kick them in the shins, provided you touched the ball just before you did so (football again).

So whilst the Thatcher incident was violent and dangerous, let's treat it in context and keep the police out of it.
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

[quote="simon redshaw"]I didn't see that incident

ha ha ha like manager like fan!!! :lol: :lol: i know you arsenal fans love wenger but this hero worship is gettin a bit ridiculous!! :wink:
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one Tiger! What can I say to that! :wink:

Anyway, I have got a proper alibi as I couldn't see the game as I was at work! :wink:
Dave W
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dave W »

Not sure I agree fully with you Kin re police involvement. Okay it happened whilst playing football but what if fletcher had broken his jaw or worse still; when he was unconscious he swallowed his tongue and died - should he then be immune to police prosecution. I do agree that if it was a genuine tackle then fair enough the FA have to deal with it but his tackle was with intent and that's not on! Anyway, doubt the police will do anything, just look how many times John Prescott keeps getting investigated and he gets away with it, oh and pete doherty :lol:
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well, the police are invetigating, so it seems.
Keeno
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Keeno »

pierce has spoken on radio1 or the bbc and has said that what thatcher did is indefendable so thats him condemning it and we'll see what happens
Shoved out! I'll work my way back up Karen n Sim!!