Lifeguard hoodies

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lifeguard hoodies

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Stirred on by Sim's fine garden trampoline thread - I have my own beef - Lifeguard t shirts and hoodies.

Please if you come down to Cornwall (or wherever else they sell them) please don't buy them. They are causing such problems on the beaches since some twerp places started selling them. It's driving all the lifeguards crazy. The real ones wear these red tops with the yellow writing so they can easily be spotted by anyone on the beach that need emergency help. Now, people are lulled into a false sense of security because they see all these supposed lifeguards about - but they're all drunken morons who bought the t shirt half an hour ago.

Went to Unleashed festival last night, and there were loads of them wearing them. Really a stupid idea. If you need resuscitating in a hurry and people waste valuable minutes running rounds asking these twerps. Oooh it gets me dander up!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

no accounting for stupidity, is there? Hope someone gets on to this quickly and bans them - it could mean the difference between life and death
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Lifeguard hoodies

Post by Osprey in Leicester »

Cornish Tiger wrote:Stirred on by Sim's fine garden trampoline thread - I have my own beef - Lifeguard t shirts and hoodies.

Please if you come down to Cornwall (or wherever else they sell them) please don't buy them. They are causing such problems on the beaches since some twerp places started selling them. It's driving all the lifeguards crazy. The real ones wear these red tops with the yellow writing so they can easily be spotted by anyone on the beach that need emergency help. Now, people are lulled into a false sense of security because they see all these supposed lifeguards about - but they're all drunken morons who bought the t shirt half an hour ago.

Went to Unleashed festival last night, and there were loads of them wearing them. Really a stupid idea. If you need resuscitating in a hurry and people waste valuable minutes running rounds asking these twerps. Oooh it gets me dander up!
At the end of the day you would want the nearest person with CPR training to step forward anyway regardless if they were a lifeguard or not, Ive had the training and I wouldnt wait for a lifeguard to turn up Id have a go myself.
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Good for you OIL. Perhaps it wasn't the best example. OK, you see someone getting taken out by a rip current... I'd want a lifeguard on a life saving board then, and quick. Or getting eaten by all the Great Whites we apparently have around now (according to some bizarre docu I saw the other day!)
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cornish Tiger wrote:Good for you OIL. Perhaps it wasn't the best example. OK, you see someone getting taken out by a rip current... I'd want a lifeguard on a life saving board then, and quick. Or getting eaten by all the Great Whites we apparently have around now (according to some bizarre docu I saw the other day!)
Ah but what if there was a surfer on his board nearby would you want him to help you when the lifeguard was only just leaving the beach ! ?
100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

Cornish Tiger wrote:Good for you OIL. Perhaps it wasn't the best example. OK, you see someone getting taken out by a rip current... I'd want a lifeguard on a life saving board then, and quick. Or getting eaten by all the Great Whites we apparently have around now (according to some bizarre docu I saw the other day!)
i saw the same tv programme - it was weird!!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

CT i totally agree i think its so stupid, ok if you want to buy one yeh but to wear it on the beach is a total lack of common sense and i think it is extremely irresponsible. There shold be rulkes about wearing tem on the beach etc, but would people take any notice??
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
no.1ellisfan
Super User
Super User

Post by no.1ellisfan »

am totally agreeing with you on this one, it seems a stupid thing for people to be doing. ban them!
has anybody seen the plot........i seem to have lost it!!
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

that is pretty silly alright. some people have no sense.
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Osprey in Leicester wrote: Ah but what if there was a surfer on his board nearby would you want him to help you when the lifeguard was only just leaving the beach ! ?
:D I love a good pedant, me :D ...but...
If there was a surfer on his board near by he would be in as much trouble as you were. The life saving boards are specially designed to be more buoyant and cut through the waves, and the lifeguards are specially designed to know what to do. Sometimes cutting a diagonal line isn't enough, and 2 people on a regular board is too risky.
Osprey in Leicester
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cornish Tiger wrote:
Osprey in Leicester wrote: Ah but what if there was a surfer on his board nearby would you want him to help you when the lifeguard was only just leaving the beach ! ?
:D I love a good pedant, me :D ...but...
If there was a surfer on his board near by he would be in as much trouble as you were. The life saving boards are specially designed to be more buoyant and cut through the waves, and the lifeguards are specially designed to know what to do. Sometimes cutting a diagonal line isn't enough, and 2 people on a regular board is too risky.
I just stick to body boarding myself, first time I did it was on fistral beach actually when the world surfing championships were there years ago. Got a row of one of the lifeguards for being in the wrong area :oops:
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Yeah - the whole flag thing people pay no attention to at all. I wonder if there is a better way of dividing the beach a bit better, but it needs to be able to be moved easily as the currents will shift about such a lot. The frustrating thing is people who don't even ask what the flags mean - just think-pretty flags, I'll just run on in. It's supposed to divide the beach into an area for swimmers and body boarders that is the safest, (red and yellow flags) then checkers for the big boys - the area of surf which is a bit more dangerous but hell they can handle it, and red flags mean don't be daft. And keep checking the flags, because they have to move them all the time depending where the rips move to. Trouble is how many people going on holiday know that?
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I know what the flags mean, becasue this sort of stuff interests me, genrally emergency services do, but another reason, its common sense if you're going on to the beach find out what everything means. In Aus when my bro went they gave you little fold out cards with it all on, great idea, but then again would people actually read them???
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Most of the beaches I go to have a big sign in the car park with it all on - but not many people read it. There are massive signs saying danger falling rocks but people still have picnics under them. You really wonder what you have to do. I frequent Strangles beach which is nearly impossible to get to, so wonderfully quiet this time of year. No life guards - no people (the odd nudist) and the rock falls there are astonishing. You really need to be very wary. Sometimes the path has disappeared under a mud slide and you have to start again. You would stand no hope of getting any help to you bar the air ambulance, and no phone signal to call them. But occassionally people are there, picnicking under the cliffs, kids in the rips. No idea of the tide times. It really makes me want to slap them!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Yep i know exactly what you mean. i was at Peranithnoe beach last year and the tide came in, we were jumping off huge rocks and the waves were massive i nearly got slammed against the rock as i was climbing back up but my brothers mate told me to dive into the water. I like to think even though that happened i am fairly responsible when near the sea, i know my limitations and i knew when it was time to stop, i was also fairly careful about the waves but still the sea is a very very dangerous place and genrally tourists have no idea.