Lifeguard hoodies

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ollie smith rules
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ollie smith rules »

Sim wrote: we were jumping off huge rocks and the waves were massive i nearly got slammed against the rock as i was climbing back up but my brothers mate told me to dive into the water.
Tut tut sim. Shouldn't jump off rocks in the first place - didn't u c wt happened to someone on sea side rescue!!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

It is amazing how amny people ignore the signs though and believe they know whats best.

However, it can still be dangerous playing on the beach if you try and build a hole too big - last yr a girl was suffocated and died coz she got trapped
:-) TIGERS rock especially Ollie, CRANE, Moody, Crofty, and Matt C :-)
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Yep that happened on Peranithnoe on the beach i was tlaking about happened two days before i got down there. And they couldn't bring a helecoper in either becuase of the down draft if i remember correctly, but then again the girl was 3 i think or 5 and her parents let her build a 7 ft whole, thats taller then most people genrally are, very irresponible of the parents really.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Ollie smith rules
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yup tharts right and it was v irresponsible of the parents.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I mean as much as i feel sorry for the parents for there loss you have to aks why they let there 3 year old daughter dig a whole that most gronw men and women couldn't get out of? You have to wonder what they were thinking. I think the whole family hadf been helping with the whole but to let her be in there on her own????? I ask my self why????

For those who don't know what we're talking about click on the link below. It happened nearly a year ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/4151632.stm
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

It's all a symptom of the same thing, isn't it. People just don't bother to find out about the danger because beaches just don't look dangerous. Holes in the sand seem like fun, not death traps. Normally it's kids crawling into holes dug by a bunch of lads who didn't realise were dangerous and didn't fill in when they left, not the family actually digging it for them - but I'm sure that family weren't knowingly putting their toddler in danger - they just hadn't thought it was dangerous. I really think people think if the beach doesn't have big warnings on like a swimming pool does - with don't dig big holes, dont take photos on the edge of cliffs (how we nearly lost one this week, but he ended up falling about 50ft but luckily got caught on a ledge) then there must be no danger. Programmes like Seaside Rescue really help though. We used to live at Crackington Haven which has a line of rocks down the centre of the beach which you can't see when the tides in. Anyone who didn't know it was there would get grazed knees etc when they surfed in. And people used to complain that we should shut the beach because it was dangerous - NO. Just obey the flags you twerps.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I love seaside rescue. I tend to think i am quite clued up about the beach partly because my parents were always very cautious and a lot to do with my love when i was younger with the emergency services so i found out about the RNLI etc and you learn things. But seaside rescue is a great programme and really does show so much, but i think a huge thing that needs to be considered is a roadshow that goes to every school in land and warns about the problems. Do this about a month before the summer holidays and hopefully it will stick in peoples mind. It may cost a bit but probably not that muvh and you can't put a price on potentially saving tens of lives each summer at the beach or preventing accidents in the first place.
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

You are so right Sim. I wish it happened. I know they often do talks pre summer hols about kite flying near pylons, jumping into reservoirs, playing on the railway etc. A good beach safety talk and a guide which goes home to all parents would be fantastic.

Round here most of the kids go to Surf Club so all the locals are pretty clued up. Mine know cpr and first aid as well as general safety in water. They start at about 8yrs in most villages, up to 16, and then they help out. My daughter used to be a Beach Patrol girl at Cracky. They just wander the beach warning people about the cliffs, and rocks, using dinghies, and picking up glass and other dangerous stuff. They all have first aid certificates, too. All voluntary, she liked it as you feel very important in the t shirt and the local life guards were fit! She couldn't believe the stupidity of some of the emmets though. It's almost like they want to kill their kids!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I seriously think part of the problem is that since we started to copy the USA in going litigation mad we now have far too many warnings about everything.

"This coffee could be hot", "This bag of peanuts may contain peanuts", "This beer is really nice but if you have more than two bottles you're going to pickle your liver, ruin your family and die operating machinery".

So people now ignore all warnings.

How you explain to people that raising a red flag on a beach is a serious matter and not just part of the nanny state, I don't know.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I think what you have to do is shock people into realising the dangers. show the pictures and video of Joe bloggs who went out whne he shouldn't and drowned and show storys of the families it has happened to because you find a lot of poarents will tell there stories for things like this because they don't want it to happen to other people. Shock tactics work with kids, but genrally most other things don't.

Hey Cornish lets start a campaign to have road shows, and MAKE the government fund it.
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Good plan Sim. I wonder if RoSPA or someone do it already anywhere? You have to think someone would have thought of it before - often it takes a breaved parent to get these things going.

I agree Kin about the daft warnings meaning you don't pay attention much. Driving earlier on the M5 today there were 50 signs and you tend to think..yeah I'll slow down when I see something, because 9 times out of 10 you crawl along and then see no reason at all. So it does make you blasé. Perhaps we should put a skull and crossbones on the red flag?
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

RoSPA? Sorry don't know what it is. I think if you proposed it to the government with the backing of the coastguard etc they would take notice, its something we should consider and i mean it, because i think someone has to do this, but it should be going to every school in the country, it may cost a bit but as i said there would be a greater good that would come of it.
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

http://www.rospa.org.uk/waterandleisuresafety/index.htm

Just had a very quick glance at the Rospa site (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) They do seem to have some Water Safety, though couldn't see specific beach safety. Don't have time to really check as am rushing to get a book done for Thursday...Interestingly book is about activities to do with your children on your holidays - and I'm writing it. Maybe I should bung a safety section in - but have tried to convince this publisher to do a beach safety book before and they wont because "it puts holidaying in Cornwall in a negative light"...Hmm.

Interestingly for you - RoSPA site- there's a trampoline section. happy reading...
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Both a very interesting read especially the trampoline one. Anyway im off now my dad wants to use the computer.
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

http://www.beachsafety.org.uk/:censored:/download/default.asp

This one's good too, even has a game for littluns. So it's all out there. It's just getting people to use it.

Have now added a beach safety section in my Beach games chapter. Have a meeting Thursday, will see if I can get it through!
Ollie smith rules
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cornish Tiger wrote:Don't have time to really check as am rushing to get a book done for Thursday...Interestingly book is about activities to do with your children on your holidays - and I'm writing it. Maybe I should bung a safety section in - but have tried to convince this publisher to do a beach safety book before and they wont because "it puts holidaying in Cornwall in a negative light"...Hmm.
Good luck with your book. Thats just silly about not letting you do it. :shock: There are enough accidents down here over the summer so i think it would be a v good idea :D Also like the roadshow idea