Garden Trampolines!

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sim
Super User
Super User

Garden Trampolines!

Post by Sim »

I trampoline at a proffessionl club and i have done since i was 5 (now 17 very nearly 18). I am in the process oof becmong a coach. Gerden trampoline have become more and more popular in Britain (if you don't know what i mean they're the round big round things 13ft wide that you can get from Argos and places). My rant is that i think it should be illigal to seel these trampolines.

For those who don't know much about the sport it is a very technical sport and you're bouncing at approx. 10 - 15 ft off the trampoline so around 20 - 25 ft. off the ground. It takes a long time to learn the moves like sumersalts and other complex moves but hundreds of young kids out there do these moves on trampolines in there back gardens risking there lives. I think it is terrible that parents would buy them these and allow them to put there lives at risk, a girl i know who had been trampoling for 22 years was doing a sumersalt a move simple to her and hse over rottated breaking both wrists. This technical sport is something that should only ever been performed under supervision from quallified British Gymnastics Trampoline coaches, so why are there possible death traps so readily availble.

Whats your opinion guys, i really want to know what people think???
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

you can't make it illegal sim, otherwise where does legal or illegal start & end, these kids are only trying to have fun in their own gardens, not trying to be olympic champions, but fair play if they do become one :lol:
no.1ellisfan
Super User
Super User

Post by no.1ellisfan »

my friend who had been trampolining for a few years broke her leg doing it so i can totally understand what you are saying Sim. dont reckon they should be made illegal though, its the responsibility of parents to make sure that kids use them safely
has anybody seen the plot........i seem to have lost it!!
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

my friend has got one, but she doesn't do somersaults or anything, they are just fun for bouncing around! and playing games! last year at her birthday i was soooooooo hyper (one of the most hyper moments ive ever had!) and that was pretty fun :roll:

and anyone read lewis moody's book where he was talking about austin healey's bbq and the trampoline competition?! :lol: :D
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com
100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

i got a little trampoline for my birthday!!!

its soooo much fun
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

i have a trampoline in my garden, i used to somersaults on it, but i'm too scared now so i don't! there have been a few injuries on it though. me and my sister and some friends often all do a seatdrop game which involves everyone doing a seatdrop at the same time and see who goes highest. this has occasionally resulted in people landing on the metal edge and occasionally even falling off. no serious injuries caused. Trampolines are dangerous things, but if you are too careful then it is just boring!
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Too right....we bought our kids a trampoline 2 years ago....they love it to bits...its so much fun, especially when I go on there !!! I always say to them to be careful and they don't try somersaults or anything silly like that. We have a net around the outside so they won't fall off onto the ground.

Ban the sale of them.....do me a favour !!!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Trampoline on for :censored:'s sake and if you get injured get better.

I've broken my leg, collar bone and 5 different fingers playing football and I had a head like elephant man after one game of rugby.

Shall we ban those sports too?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

We have one too. The kids clubbed together their wages and bought it themselves, so I didn't technically get it for them. I just get to drag it round the garden when I'm trying to mow. Daughter just sunbathes on it mainly. Son is death defying. Daughter's boyfriend likes to jump on and bounce daughter off it. Very funny. Yes, they could all get hurt. But all I ever hear is giggling. We are often the venue for teenage parties, and we ban it after any alcohol. Never had any problems. We have a Quadbike too, but the only person that has got hurt was my husband who was run over by my daughter. She was timing her lap and was looking at her watch. Sadly, so was he!

The only trampoline accident any of my kids friends have had was at my daughters trampoline club where her friend fell off and broke her arm. I understand your concern Sim, but as long as parents are responsible, it's good to teach kids how far they can push themselves, and take a risk now and then.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Right, heres comes argument number two ( i know the illigal bit is a bit silly but....).

Nets, no use if u fall and break your neck. We're all rugby fans and we all know what can happen if a line out goes wrong and the jumper lands badly (Remember the Australia player in the World Cup), on a trampoline you are bouncing easily as high as them but you have no-one to assisst you.

Jess not having a go but just to tell you the injuries in your game is becasue you are "kipping" someone. When you land if you land just at the right time or i suppose the wrong time you will cause another persons bounce to be affected which means they will either bounce about half a foot or they may bounce very very high and have no control over which direction they go, doing it at the same time is a big no no as it causes accidents, you should do it one aftyer the other.

I agree that bouncing correctly can be accidnet free but it is a very techinical sport and something that you shouldn't do without supervision. A lad i know was doing a really simple move no sumersault or anything like that and he landed wring and broke his wrist. He was experienced and very good and he hurt himself.

Finally, if there ever was an acciden and your kid or your friend is lay on the bed (trampoline) hurt what are you going to pack the bed out with. At clubs you have lots of safety matts which u put under the bed for the paramedice to slide on, at home there aren't any, and the paramedice risks making the broken leg or knee or torn ligemants or even broken neck even worse. Sorry guys but you have to see it from my point they are accidents waiting to happen. And its not as though i don't know what im talking about i have done this for nearly 13 years and i am at coaching level. At least try and see my point.
mrsmoody
Super User
Super User

Post by mrsmoody »

go si-im! go si-im! go si-im!! woooo!!! wooo!!! go si-im!

(is that better? :D hehe)
Kellogs frosties, brings out the tiger in you!

http://Hannah-Fantastic.bebo.com
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Sim wrote:
Jess not having a go but just to tell you the injuries in your game is becasue you are "kipping" someone. When you land if you land just at the right time or i suppose the wrong time you will cause another persons bounce to be affected which means they will either bounce about half a foot or they may bounce very very high and have no control over which direction they go, doing it at the same time is a big no no as it causes accidents, you should do it one aftyer the other.
sim, don't worry, we've stopped playing it now, as we are all far too big to all fit on the trampoline, we'd probably break it! i totally understand what you are saying, but when you are younger, you don't really think of the consequences.
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
Spiffy Lewis

Post by Spiffy Lewis »

any of you guys go golfing? I've been thinking about doing just that... I heard it actually improves your PERSONALITY! Is this true?
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

i do see your point. my friends and i often have house parties where ridiculous amounts of alcohol are consumed, just because parents are away etc etc. lots of the houses have these large trampolines and i have lost count of the amount of accidents we have had.
there are of course bumps and bruises on everyone. then there was a sprained wrist and ankle, next there were broken bones. but the worst incident was when one of the lads, who was very drunk, was showing us how he could go and then trying different moves. he came out of the air face first and missed the trampoline. he landed on a concrete driveway. luckily he was so drunk that he didnt tense his body and so broke no bones, he got up and walked away laughing and swigging from a can. it was a scary sight though!
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Spiffy Lewis wrote:any of you guys go golfing? I've been thinking about doing just that... I heard it actually improves your PERSONALITY! Is this true?
It's true.

You need to get the silly trousers so you look like Rupert Bear has got dressed in the dark. And at very inappropriate times, like when you're at work, you need to pretend to swing your club, even though you aren't holding one.

Finally, make sure that whenever you meet another golfer you tell them about posh courses you've been on, like the Belfry.

You'll end up with loads of friends, have a successful career bestowed upon you by a fellow golfer who runs an oil conglomarate, and you will have your pick of the most beautiful women in the world.

What are you waiting for? :wink:
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!