Geraint Jones replaced by Chris Read - your opinion

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Geraint Jones replaced by Chris Read - your opinion

Post by simon redshaw »

Geraint Jones was injured anyway but was dropped from the England squad and Chris Read was brought back in. Many would say about time. As I understand it the decision for Jones to be dropped was forced on Duncan Fletcher by David Graveney and Geoff Miller? , who were able to stand up to Fletcher and make him see reason. I also understand it was the latter two behind Monty Panesar coming into the side as he wouldn't have done if Fletcher had had his way.

If that is true it just shows how conservative Fletcher is in his thinking and how his approach is very negative and not good for the future of English cricket. I have never been a great fan of Duncan Fletcher and in his interviews he hardly seems to break a smile even when we win and is usually critical. But the more I read things like that the more I wish he was out of the head Coach position for the good of English cricket.

Aside from that, do you think It was fair that Geraint Jones was dropped and do you think Chris Read can now make the position his own in the long term?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

At test level it isn't enough for a keeper just to be a good keeper. He simply has to be able to weigh in with the bat as well. For me the correct decision. However Read hasn't taken his chances up to now, so he simply must do this time.
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

Geraint Jones has improved his keeping, but his batting just seems to get worse. Give Chris Read a go and see what happens. it could all be a big mistake. but i think in the situation its the right decision.
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I agree with you all that it was right that Chris Read was brought back into the side. It allows the Jones vs Read issue to be sorted out and we will have an idea who is the best all-round wicketkeeper/batsman. Read must take his chance now as Iain says.

Jon, I fully agree with your analysis of England's tail and I think Monty will be preferred spinner now especially as he is a more attacking bowler. However, as Bob Willis says, there is a case for playing two spinners at some stage in Australia so Ashley Giles would also come into play. I also understand that Sajid Mahmood may develop into more of a lower order all-rounder at some stage. The trouble is he is not worth his place in the side at the moment for his bowling. Maybe I am too harsh on Duncan Fletcher and maybe he has had a fair amount of influence in England's success in recent years. However, I do feel he is very conservative and obstructive at least selection-wise and that is not helping our cause. Also, when you compare him to Bob Woolmer, he seems like a damp squib, particularly when you consider their ideas. Regarding Preparation and attention to detail they may be fairly similiar but I know which coach I would rather have. That would be Bob, the former Kent player.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Are we all forgetting James Foster who in my opinion is better than both, the only reason he was taken out of the England squad was because he broke his arm and since then he has become a much better keeper and a better batsman, in my opinion the more consistant of the three but he just seems to have been forgotten.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

James Foster is good, certainly with the bat. However, I'm not convinced he is better then Read with the gloves.

Certainly there don't seem to be any other wicket-keepers in the equation other then Read and Jones as far as the selectors are concerned. At least not at Test level.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I've said many times, on this site, that Read should be selected ahead of Jones but the timing has made me feel sorry for both of them.

If the selectors were getting close to this decision then Jones must have known he had the sword of Damocles hanging over him every time he went out to bat.

Now it's Read who knows that he has a very Test innings in which to prove himself and if he gets out from an early delivery then he's probably used up his last life.

I think the selectors should have decided who was keeping for the whole series, and then told that keeper that they would stick with him whatever. This chopping around now isn't doing either of them any favours.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

i like crazy geraint jones i think he's a character and his wicket keeping is good so i hope he works on his batting and gets back in the side and then bats a century using only a penknife as a bat. and the man monty, hope he gets a few runs and stays in the side
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I would have picked Prior from Sussex over Read.....good keeper and got some useful runs so far this season. Last season he got 700 runs at 31.00 and this season he has scored 613 with an average of 43.00....Read however has only scored 300 odd runs at 27.00.....so he's a better batsman ??
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Don't care. Read's from Notts. :D
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Exactly....Prior should be in !!!! :wink:
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Great knock by Read today yesterday wasn't it....he was lucky to be still in after his first few deliveries.
BRING BACK JONES !! We will need his enthusiasm for the Ashes.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well put me in the side then.

I'm very enthusiastic.

Can't bat to save my life though.
ayriss

Post by ayriss »

I say to stick with Read at the moment, he did very well yesterday considering the rest of the batting order was collapsing around him, and batting through to fifty was a great achievment considering he doesnt usually get a look in at the England squad, he took his chance well and Geriant hadn't been putting in his normal with the bat recently, bring on the ashes, and bring on some more Read! :o
Visual Basic 6.0 for dummies - the reason God invented books!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well said.

He's scored 93 runs over his two innings, took 2 catches in Pakistan's first innings and has already taken another 2 in their second innings.