Central contracts in cricket?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellbutthatcouldbe

Central contracts in cricket?

Post by wellbutthatcouldbe »

The threads about the RFU/PRL battle in rugby has made me wonder about what the other cricket fans on here think about central contracts in English cricket.

My own view is that you cannot underestimate the importance of central contracts in the success enjoyed by England in 2004 and the Ashes. I doubt we would have got through the five Ashes Tests with just one injury (Jones) if particularly the bowlers were being flogged to death for their counties in between Tests. I also think that the Ashes will do more for each county in the long term (in terms of new supporters and kids becoming involved) than the counties could ever do for themselves, even with their star players.

However, I would have to admit, as my county Gloucestershire are probably one of about three teams not to have had anyone put on a central contract since they were introduced, that I don't have the same interest in this question that, say, a Lancastrian would.

Any other views?
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I think they work brillinatly in cricket and they are as you say crutial for the success for England. Players get enough training and if they're in bad fomr they can always pop back and get a few over under there bealt etc.

On a rugby side i don't think they would work, we have plety of county teams in cricket playing first class cricket and a cricket squad isn't as big as a rugby squad therefore they wrok well but to take all of the England players away from rugby clubs would be terrible as we have fewer first class teams and they'd need more players.

So in conclusion, Cricket Central Contracts work and are fantastic, Rugby Central Contract won't work and would be a travisty for Premier league English Rugby.