Who will light the Olympic flame in London - 2012?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Who will light the Olympic flame in London - 2012?

Post by Kinoulton »

Obviously there are some very strong contenders such as Sir Steve Redgrave, Lord Coe and Kelly Holmes.

But you can also take a punt on some way out contenders like Sven at 80/1, Phil The Power Taylor at 125/1 :shock: , Gazza at 150/1, Jacques Chirac at 500/1 :wink: , and a somewhat miserly 20/1 on Spudhead Rooney.

Some are going for Andrew Murray which might be a shrewd punt at this stage.

Any other shrewd / daft ideas?

How about Deadly Doug Ellis?
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Lets have Deadly Doug and then something might happen to him on the way up or down to lighting the flame to the benefit of all Villa fans! :wink:

Sorry for that nastiness but don't like the bloke! I am not an out and out Villan but Villa are one of my teams after the Gooners.
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Lord Coe or Kelly Holmes.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

BelperJon wrote:How about Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson?
Good shout.

Or. How about Zara Philips on horseback? She's get my attention.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

I very much doubt the London Olympics will take place. Either none of the Stadia will be completed on time. Or the 'Muslim's' who will be running Britain by then will ban it. :lol:
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It will go ahead OK. But with modern day health & safety regs, we might have the flame being carried by Sharron Davies flanked by two burly firemen.

And not for the first time, I hear you cry.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Kinoulton wrote:It will go ahead OK. But with modern day health & safety regs, we might have the flame being carried by Sharron Davies flanked by two burly firemen.

And not for the first time, I hear you cry.
Yes I have heard that Wembley Stadium will be open just in time for the Olympics. But to be on the safe side they have Arsenals new stadium as a back up. :lol:
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

But don't forget there's six years to go. Any number of great sportsmen might come through in the next six years.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Exactly. Hence the speculation on Andrew Murray.

Though somehow I can't see Rooney becoming the face of British sport, much as I admire his play.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

I can see the spectacular scene now, as Andy Goode drop-kicks the torch fifty metres and lights the flame.

On the live BBC commentary, Austin Healey tells Gary Lineker he would have kicked it from eighty metres!! :lol:
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Gonzo wrote:I can see the spectacular scene now, as Andy Goode drop-kicks the torch fifty metres and lights the flame.

On the live BBC commentary, Austin Healey tells Gary Lineker he would have kicked it from eighty metres!! :lol:
Nice!

Slightly off topic but you maybe saw Sports Relief presented by Gary Lineker and Chris Evans? Apparently before the show, Lineker asked Chris why he'd been asked to do it, as he was nothing to do with sport.

Chris Evans quipped: "Because they needed a decent TV presenter, Gary."

Anyway, Healey would make mincemeat of Lineker in a battle of wits. No contest whatsoever.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Kinoulton wrote:
Gonzo wrote:I can see the spectacular scene now, as Andy Goode drop-kicks the torch fifty metres and lights the flame.

Nice!

Slightly off topic but you maybe saw Sports Relief presented by Gary Lineker and Chris Evans? Apparently before the show, Lineker asked Chris why he'd been asked to do it, as he was nothing to do with sport.

Chris Evans quipped: "Because they needed a decent TV presenter, Gary."

Anyway, Healey would make mincemeat of Lineker in a battle of wits. No contest whatsoever.

It would be great if the Beeb would let Healey and Dawson inject some humour into their 6N coverage. Might help us smile through the pain of following England!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well there's a thought for the flame.

Pick the Lions all time greatest back line and let them pass the thing between them as they proceed towards the stadium.

Obviously there would be NO chance of them dropping it. :?
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Kinny, it would all go well until a prop suddenly turns up in the back line and charges into the first immovable object.

Can you tell I was a winger in my playing days?
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

And I was a bit of a prop! :lol: