what do we think of......

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

no.1ellisfan
Super User
Super User

what do we think of......

Post by no.1ellisfan »

getting national DNA/fingerprint databases for use by the police?

just been reading some stuff on this before logging on here and thought it'd be an interesting topic for discussion (or at least it is for a wierdo scientist like me :lol: )

personally i dont see the problem with doing it, surely its not that much of an invasion of privacy and it'd help loads with catching criminals. what do you guys think?
has anybody seen the plot........i seem to have lost it!!
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

I'm a lawless cornish pirate - so no way. If you had complete faith and trust in the police and were squeaky clean you'd love it. But back in the real world - no thanks. It seems too easy to plant someone's dna and frame people "scientifically". I have no regard for "authority" and rules made by the majority. In my opinion the majority of people I meet are crazy. You're not getting my dna!

Good topic though!
Don't mess with The Mothers!
Jess
Super User
Super User

Post by Jess »

I agree totally, i don't really have a problem with it, and i suppose it would be a good way of catching criminals
Donncha O'Callaghan and Bruce Reihana are the best players that ever lived. Don't even bother to argue with me.

And - however good Imanol Harinordoquy is, he is still an idiot
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I want to become a police officer and so my fingerprints will be on record if i do join up but personally i dont agree with it at all. At the moment the police take your finger prints if you commit a crime and therefore they should have them but if you're a good citizenb then why should you have you privacy invaded by this stupid idea. And i would consider your fingerprints to be data and the Data Protection Act says that you may only hold data on a subject if you need it and it is being used, data that is unneccessaay to you should no longer be held, therefore surely they would have to change that law as for the most part peopoles fingerprints are not going to be needewd or used. I also belive this is a huge iunvasion of our privacy and it just means we're becoming more and more like Big Brother, we're the most observed country on CCTV and now they're thinking about this, i think its tragic and i think there would be riots and all sorts of trouble if it happened.

And besides if im a policeman it means i won't have any fun investigating people as i'll just log onto a computer and know who it is. BORING :wink:
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Looks like you've started writing in triplicate already!
Don't mess with The Mothers!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

he he he i think that happened because it went into DEBUG MODE and then i had to refresh, oh well, lol :lol:
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

I think it's a fantastic idea.
No longer will rape/murder trials be unsolved or someone allowed to walk free through lack of conclusive DNA/fingerprint material

I don't think entertainment comes into solving crimes Sim
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

That was a joke Silens

It won't help in cases where there is a lack or DNA or fingerprints if you think about it. Trials fail because there is a lack of DNA or fingerprints at the scene not because you don't have the suspects fingerprints, it won't make a difference to case with lack of DNA it'll just mean people who slip up and leave DNA or fin gerprints behind will get caught easier, so its not that much of a help as criminals will just work harder on not leaving DNA behind. and what if people want to frame people then it will be easier they get the DNA and then trace it to someone, often people aren't traced by DNA (unless already on record), they are usually tracked down as part of an investgation and then the DNA backs it up, i think it could be very dangerous!!!
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
no.1ellisfan
Super User
Super User

Post by no.1ellisfan »

but a lot of the time the problem is not the lack of DNA or prints at the scene, coz believe me they can be lifted from almost anything, but using it to connect a suspect to the scene. any DNA/prints that are found are useless until you have a suspect to compare them with which relies on the police doing a hell of a lot of work and they might never get the right suspect. if we had databases then the info from the crime scene could be used to identify a suspect straight away, thus saving a lot of police time and money. and as for the framing thing, its just as easy to frame someone now as it would be with a DNA database in operation
has anybody seen the plot........i seem to have lost it!!
Headers
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Headers »

when i was aressted (im sorry to say but i was ) fingerprints where taken and DNA but i was told they could be withdrawn be me if i was found not guilty (Which i was ) but in all i think its a good idea if you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about . And god forbid you are found dead or washed up some where the cops can ID you quicker
is growing bonsai a big thing
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

Sorry Sim, touchy subject for me, I don't mean to snap.
In the cases where DNA/fingerprints are found but no suspects then it would help with locating and making arrests.
Like Headers says, it would be a great help with trying to ID bodies
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I wouldn't have a problem with it being done to me, or my family members. None of us have anything to conceal, so why should we be concerned?

In any event, biometric data is collected whenever you go through an airport security check and they store that.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

they should fingerprint kids in school same as they do givin them polio jabs and stuff, then make em watch a video to show that all those hollywood films are bad and should not be used to highlight new ways of murdering some poor :censored:, and bruce willis should present it cause everyone loves the willis he's a bonafide mad dag crazy sheep mother :censored: legend man.
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

My problem isn't with having my fingerprints taken as i said i am joining the police force and so my prints will be on database, i don't have a choice. My problem is i believe it is a huge breach of Human rights, to be forced to give your DNA and fingerprints, a lot of people would object to i and therefore it would be forcing people to do it. Why should we give our DNA etc, why do the police need it, they don't many people will never commit a crime and therefore there information will be being kept for no reason, in my eyes its a huge injustice and if it was put through i think we'd be becmoing more like a dictatorship.
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

getting dragged into a bush, r@ped and beaten to within an inch of your life is also a breach of your human rights too. and then knowing that the person who did it is still out there is a bit of a b*gger too!
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!