what do we think of......

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

Why do they need it?
Help protect the victims.
Look into the eyes of a r*pe victim Sim and then ask if its still a bad idea?
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

No i agree, victims do need to be protected but not in this way i just see it as a huge injustice to force people to give there DNA and it is unlawful in my eyes. Many people won't agree with it and i don't see why we should be made to give these things out.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

It isn't actually unlawful unless the police or authoritised used force to obtain DNA etc. My husband gave DNA samples over 20 years ago like most young men in the Narborough area - after the murders of Lynda Mann and Dawn Ashworth. He was asked, he gladly gave the required samples. I stand by what I said before, if you have nothing to hide, then there is no reason why you shouldn't give such data.

Human rights is a phrase that is bandied about in the media, over-used by radicals and usually in the wrong context or situation. The lawlessness in this country sinks further into the depths each year. I don't necessarily think a national DNA database would prevent crime, but it would certainly help catch those responsible.

Now if only the Courts could be relied upon to give sensible sentences....
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

I totally agree if you haven't done anything worng and in the case that you mentioned yes the police asked and people genrally co-operated, but we're talking about taking everyone DNA now before anything particular has occured, and therefore people wouldn't agree to this and therfore force would have to be used. I think it is rediculous to do it and it is rediculous, the police don't need it, they don't actually need it if you think about it. Yes it would make things easier but i think it would be an injustice to make popel give there DNA away.

I myself wouldn't want my DNA on files but i have no choice with my chosen career path.

Besides, how long is it going to take to collect all DNA/ fingerprints, how long to ensure everyone has given there DNA, how will we know people haven't said they're someone else, where will it all be kept, who is going to take it, who is going to fund it, who is going to continue the maintenace of the system, how are we going to know that in the process that tubes haven't got mixed up, how are we going to enusure that the people doing it are trustorhty (police checks go into your family, mum, dad, brother) this will take huge amounts of time, how long will is it going to take tobuild a system capable of holding this information, when are you goign to take babies DNA and fingerprints, when people revolt how many people will be hurt especially police in riots (which will happen, and we know they will).

I could go on and on and on, its a rediculus idea, i estimate it would be ten years at least by the time all of the system building and vetting had been done. and never mind the amount of time it will take for all of the laws etc to go through.

In the long run the money time and headache including the trouble when people go up aginst the government isn't worth it. Let the police do there jobs. the money would be much better spent on inprvoing policing, adding more street lights and CCTV facilities everywhere to ensure safety, adding more officers to the forces, improving the countrs including stopping this rubbish where the police do there jobs and then the system lets everyone down except the suspect.
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
SilensFatuus
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by SilensFatuus »

I snort at the CCTV camera idea.
I know of a case where a young women was :censored: by 2 men she knew and it the CPS wouldn't allow it to come to trail because the only evidence was her statement (theyd drugged her) and CCTV footage.

I stand by this, it may take time but I feel the benefits far outway the negatives. I would gladly give mine up.
Cherry and Whites ~ European Challenge Champions
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Slight digression from topic (I don't have a fixed view on this one, as I can see both sides of the argument and have splinters in the butt from fence-sitting), but Rizzo's mention of the Narborough case reminded me of the Joseph Wambaugh book about it - The Blooding. Welll worth reading.
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Well CCTV footage in Bridgnorth is being used in plenty of cases and i can assure you that it is very useful but yet again i said that the money would be better spent helping sorting these things out and getting htings to court and that case where the CPS failed is exactly what i emant, they fail the victims not the police, but the money would be much better spent. If you said in this case the CPS only had those two items of evidence then the DNA and fingerprints would be useless!!!!!

I see that the Negatives way out weight positives.
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

According to the legal bigwigs the most fundamental change to UK law was sneakily slipped in via the breathaliser.

Prior to that our constitution made it impossible for the police to force us to provide incriminating evidence against ourselves.

The breathaliser laws drove a coach and horses through that particular human right but no one moaned about the breathaliser because it was very effective.

I don't see providing DNA as a great big deal. All it will do is help police establish that you were, at some point, at the scene of the crime.

The question as to whether you committed the crime, or whether a crime was committed at all, has still to be proved.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: what do we think of......

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

no.1ellisfan wrote:getting national DNA/fingerprint databases for use by the police?

just been reading some stuff on this before logging on here and thought it'd be an interesting topic for discussion (or at least it is for a wierdo scientist like me :lol: )

personally i dont see the problem with doing it, surely its not that much of an invasion of privacy and it'd help loads with catching criminals. what do you guys think?
I too think the idea is a total invasion of personal privacy. Mind you, what isn't these days. They'll be implanting us all next when we are at the docs for something minimal or sneaking in when we are asleep.

Fair enough to fingerprint people when they have been arrested and if they are found not guilty to take it off the records but Big Brother is everywhere, no one is safe!!! :?
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

My sentiments exactly, soon they'll be taking our individuality away from us!!
(Keeno n' Sim Group)