David O'Leary steps down as Aston Villa Manager

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

David O'Leary steps down as Aston Villa Manager

Post by simon redshaw »

Former Arsenal player, David O'Leary, has stood down by mutual consent of Aston Villa. David O'Leary has also been manager of Leeds. There had been reports of player unease at the role of Doug Ellis and an investigation was made into comments alleged to have been made against Ellis. O'Leary was cleared of any such involvement but he and the club have parted ways.

Just a bit of news for anyone with a Villa leniency! Maybe not all that unexpected considering what has happened to Villa over recent years and they struggled last season and really the year before. Not everyone though is a great fan of Doug Ellis and although he appears the immovable object is it not time he stepped down for the good of the club?

Anyone with any thoughts on that?
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Deadly Doug should Do the Decent Deed and Disappear.

He's far to old and set in his ways to move with the times.

I'm working in Birmingham again now and still not a single person round here has a good word for him.

Having said that, O'Leary can be a right plank at times.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I used to live near Villa Park and would head down there on a spare weekend. Not sure why, a combination of a chairman who is as tight as the proverbial and a manager who has instilled some of the most boring kick and rush tactics in the land made it a very painful experience.
As for this statement allagedly coming from the players, no smoke without fire I imagine.
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

A new job looms for Mr Curbishley methinks.

My wife always thought David O'Leary was an insurance salesman - 'because he looks like one in that long coat.'

She was amazed to discover he'd played hundreds of games for Arsenal!!
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

I rate O'Leary very highly. Look at what happened to Leeds after he left. Aston Villa were mid-table, the most mediocre team in the league barring Spurs, he joined and got them into UEFA regularly. But the last season or two weren't too impressive.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."