Tsunami in Java

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Tsunami in Java

Post by simon redshaw »

From BBC NEWS:

There has been a Tsunami in Java caused by a 7.7 magnitude undersea earthquake which struck off Pangandaran yesterday afternoon. At least 300 people have been killed and 140 more are reported missing. Government officials are saying that another tsunami is unlikely and are urging people not to panic. Indonesian troops and police have arrived in the area to help with the search for those missing. Body bags and other essential items have also begun to arrive, and relief aid such as food and tents are on their way for thousands of people displaced by the tsunami.

[quote]

I will spare you the other horrific details. You can only feel very sorry for these people having had to cope with another very horrific Tsunami (the one we all know about) not so long ago and you wonder how much more they will have to suffer. I feel very sad for them indeed and hope that in some way their lives can improve and that mother nature will allow them to start to live more comfortably and safely.
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

Simon, I have to say, you are truly a lovely, sensitive guy.

I watched Sport Relief on Saturday night and it reduced me to tears on 3 occasions. I find that people don't care enough about anything in this world.

Lets hope this Java tsunami isn't as big as the last one. :x
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Fortunately the tsunami wasn't as big as before.

However, it seems the Earthquake that caused it was still pretty big. Which means it will have been detected by agencies in America.

I've been scanning the news to see if they managed to issue any sort of warning this time, as prior to the boxing day tsunami they detected a massive earthquake under the ocean and didn't bother telling anyone.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Tragic, you don't realise how lucky we are lving here until things like this happen and then you forget until it happens again, the amazing thing is people who live in places hit by Natural Disasters always seem to driven to caryy on and in high spirits no matter what is throw at them, maybe because its a way of life for them now but i dnt think if it happened to us here in England we would be the same.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It's an interesting point Sim, but I think we would rally round if, God forbid, we were hit by something big.

Look how the Americans responded to 911.

Prior to that they would all cancel their European holidays at the slightest hint of a bit of trouble, be it BSE, IRA bombs or whatever.

But 911 suddenly brought out this stoicism in them that we hadn't previously recognised.

In Britain, our grandparents kept their peckers up during WWII which couldn't have been easy if they lived in a City where everyone knew someone who had died in an air raid.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Kinny - in answer to your question about the warning - no, not really.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 192716.stm

I do wonder whether the Indonesian Government has the willpower and competence to actually see a warning system through to something that works
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

From reading that article it would seem that the key element required would be a string of warning sirens along the coast.

You would have thought that rather than go for an elaborate communications system they could issue some bloke with a satelite phone as used by TV and radio reporters and he could set the sirens off when he gets a phone call.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Don't be silly - that would be far too easy.
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex