A POLITE SUGGESTION

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

100%rugbygirl
Super User
Super User

Post by 100%rugbygirl »

i used to be really bad at slipping in text speak into my posts (or so i got told) so i try and spell things properly (or as well as i can)

it can annoying sometimes even for me when somebodies posts are in text speak but i can understand how it can happen

so i apologise for any incorrect spelling or grammar but generally there are more important things to worry about
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

well we can tell there is no rugby on at the minute as everyone on here seems to be having digs at everybody else on here, well as they say it is silly season on here, but why not try to encourage users rather than knock them, or is that to much to ask from people who follow the same sport & most of whom follow the same team?
no.1ellisfan
Super User
Super User

Post by no.1ellisfan »

dont mean to sound off with anyone here but i reckon a thread like this could put a lot of people off posting. yes, by all means complain about text speak being used if you cant understand what is being said but lets not criticise too much on spelling and spare a thought for the people who post on here that may make genuine spelling mistakes because of dyslexia not laziness
has anybody seen the plot........i seem to have lost it!!
matt_j_12
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by matt_j_12 »

sammy wrote:
matt_j_12 wrote:
sammy wrote:Agreed entirely. I see poor grammar, spelling and punctuation and I immediately think idiot. I absolutely adore the thread entitled GCSE,S. You should be lucky love, I'd say GCSE might be a bit more manageable for someone of your linguistic prowess!
Well you just keep going round judging people on their english then! see how far it gets u
Its got me a long way so far 'Mat'! You keep spelling you without a y and an o and we'll see how far it gets you!
You must know a lot of idiots then. does that mean all dyslexic people are idiots?
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Matt, there's a difference between spelling mistakes, which I can understand, and writing "how r u m8?". One is an honest mistake, one is just downright laziness.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

My pet hate is the double negative, for example 'I didn't do nothing'. I also find that the use of 'ink' instead of 'ing' drives me a little potty ('I haven't done anythink').

Who is more guilty, the speaker or me ? Am I intolerant, or should the speaker be corrected ?
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I don't see why it should put people off posting here, we've already established that quite a lot of board dwellers dislike text speak because it's hard to decipher, and we have had non-native English speakers post on this board (Nikos for example) so surely it's only courteous to write in a way that everyone can understand?

As for correcting people when they speak badly as mentioned above, I wouldn't do it to a stranger - but I do it to my daughter and have done since she was small.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

matt_j_12 wrote:
sammy wrote:
matt_j_12 wrote: Well you just keep going round judging people on their english then! see how far it gets u
Its got me a long way so far 'Mat'! You keep spelling you without a y and an o and we'll see how far it gets you!
You must know a lot of idiots then. does that mean all dyslexic people are idiots?
Im not going to get into the whole 'Im dyslexic, therefore I cannot spell thing'. I thought it made it a bit harder to spell, not outright impossible. Since primary school Mat I haven't found a single dyslexic who use's their problem as an excuse. Its just a pain in the bum. So no, all dyslexics aren't idiots. But then again most dyslexics I know can spell. I have the utmost respect for those people who can get beyond a problem like that. My lovely girlfriend is a dyslexic and last time I checked she could spell you.

Its text speak and laziness that gets on my nerves. But, in truth its not exactly a big deal. I doubt if anybody on here cares if their spelling annoys me. Im sure I'll get over it.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Well said Sammy, Israeli Tiger et al.

We all make mistakes and there are some words I seem to always spell incorrectly and spellcheck is always stepping in.

However, I try hard, out of respect for everybody, to put my points across coherently.

When I receive texts saying "how r u m8", I really can't be bothered to reply.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

tigerman wrote:well we can tell there is no rugby on at the minute as everyone on here seems to be having digs at everybody else on here, well as they say it is silly season on here, but why not try to encourage users rather than knock them, or is that to much to ask from people who follow the same sport & most of whom follow the same team?
I agree with you 100% Mr Tigerman Sir. Why spend your life knocking people for who and what they are. It's all down to personal opinion at the end of the day. A little encouragement goes a long way. :D
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
anything_but_ordinary
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by anything_but_ordinary »

what a completely dull thread if someone has used incorrect grammer or punctuation then dont read or reply to the so called thread and safe urself the bother of being percieved as stuck up.

when people are typing, like myslef, their words in their head go quicker than what they can type so there will be obvious spelling mistakes but if people cant see that then i think its pathetic picking people up for bad punctuation and grammer when it doesnt really matter, no one is in school the letter isnt going to the queen so what does it matter.
ITS ME EMILY!
JUS FANCIED A CHANGE!!!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Emily nobody minds harmless spelling mistakes. Text speak is merely the pet hate of a lot of people on the board (mine included) as it just indicates laziness and immaturity. The problem is now people are teaching themselves to do text speak it replaces proper English. People ARE now beginning to use it in exams and formal written pieces, which is wrong.

What I still don't get is why use text speak at all? Its quicker and easier to spell correctly using predictive text!!
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

anything_but_ordinary wrote:what a completely dull thread if someone has used incorrect grammer or punctuation then dont read or reply to the so called thread and safe urself the bother of being percieved as stuck up.

when people are typing, like myslef, their words in their head go quicker than what they can type so there will be obvious spelling mistakes but if people cant see that then i think its pathetic picking people up for bad punctuation and grammer when it doesnt really matter, no one is in school the letter isnt going to the queen so what does it matter.
It would be a great shame if someone who wants to post a valid opinion on here didn't do it for fear of reprisal. Isn't that why these chat forums are here? So that people from all walks of life can voice their opinions. There's too much "ism" in the world as it is. It's good to keep an open mind and an open heart and to help people achieve better standards if that is within your capabilities. We all have our likes and dislikes, that's what makes the world an interesting place. :D

Keep on posting everybody, whether you can spell or not!!!! I'm a secretary but I still don't spot my own mistakes sometimes. We can't all be good at everything. :oops:
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I think there is grave danger of two sides agreeing here.

Everyone is going to make mistakes. I would guess though, that when people like Sammy are having a bit of a dig, they aren't scrutinising everyone's work to see if it is word perfect. He merely finds it a bit irksome when people make no effort at all to communicate clearly.

I would absolutely hate it if people stopped contributing because they thought there was some sort of "standard" to live up to.

Live and let live.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

sammy wrote:Its text speak and laziness that gets on my nerves. But, in truth its not exactly a big deal. I doubt if anybody on here cares if their spelling annoys me. Im sure I'll get over it.
I love quoting myself, as you can see I agree entirely with you Kinoulton. Its not a big deal, its a pet hate, something that I can do without. I don't see it as dull 'anything but ordinary', I see fake airlines as dull. Each to their own, just without the text speak please!