A POLITE SUGGESTION

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

matt_j_12
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by matt_j_12 »

Yep that applys to me, my English is terrible. But i do know how to type words properly, i jsut cant be bothered half the time.
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

I try to use them but not always sure whether there in the right place :? Just taken my English GCSE as well! :D
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

im perfectly capable of using apostrophes and other punctuations, i just dont bother. it is just a rugby forum after all. im not a fan of using them typing!
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Thanks or use my good old friend spelling and grammar :D
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Agreed entirely. I see poor grammar, spelling and punctuation and I immediately think idiot. I absolutely adore the thread entitled GCSE,S. You should be lucky love, I'd say GCSE might be a bit more manageable for someone of your linguistic prowess!
Sim
Super User
Super User

Post by Sim »

Ye'h my englis'h i's terrible, i never put them in the right place i do apologis'e to anyone of you who i annoyine when putting them in the wrong place. S'orry.

he he he, ok my english isn't that bad but still its pretty bad.
great service....great idea (cheers Mr Branson)
(Keeno n' Sim Group)
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I blame text messaging. But even then.... use predictive text!! Its easier to spell words correctly and actually quicker to do so!

I remember meeting a very nice girl a while back, and we swapped numbers. I got a text message a while later saying something along the lines of "Hey woz gud 2 mt u last nite we shud def mt agen soon wot u fink? Ma head is still sore after all da drink we had"

I declined to reply. My opinion of her changed very quickly because of that text!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

My spelling has actually improved from using predictive text messaging! I now can use an apostrophe without looking stupid. OK, I wasn't exactly illiterate beforehand but predictive text messaging has certainly helped.
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

I'm a secretary but computers still make it all easy. All you have to do is either press the spell check or the theasuarus button and it's all done for you. :shock:

I also work in a pub too some evenings and the till is also set up so that you do not have to add up or even work out how much change to give. I'm actually glad about that as although I'm pretty good at English but my Maths is terrible. 8)

Convenience is the name of the game these days. I've just bought a Tom Tom One satellite navigation system as I'm a hopeless at directions when I'm driving on my own. Sorry to let the side down girls but it's a fact. :o

HAVE YOU READ THIS ONE IAIN???
Last edited by Ashby Rock Chick on Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Don't fall foul of thinking you can type sloppily for most of your life and then switch on the good grammar for a job application, or some other important piece.

It doesn't work. It does not work!

Write good English. It shows respect for your readers, and they appreciate it.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

Kinoulton wrote:Don't fall foul of thinking you can type sloppily for most of your life and then switch on the good grammar for a job application, or some other important piece.

It doesn't work. It does not work!

Write good English. It shows respect for your readers, and they appreciate it.
I agree there Kinny. I also chat on a site called faceparty.com and never talk to anyone who cannot write fairly decently. You know when they say "wiv" that they are dodgy. I'm may be a working class, down to earth, real ale drinking girl but I still have some standards :D
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
matt_j_12
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by matt_j_12 »

sammy wrote:Agreed entirely. I see poor grammar, spelling and punctuation and I immediately think idiot. I absolutely adore the thread entitled GCSE,S. You should be lucky love, I'd say GCSE might be a bit more manageable for someone of your linguistic prowess!
Well you just keep going round judging people on their english then! see how far it gets u
orla - mumha abú!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by orla - mumha abú! »

i have to admit that i dont write correctly on here and that i often abbreviate things in text messages. but only to have space, and only for things like you (u) and really obvious ones. i hate when people text without vowels, it makes them seem dim and its really hard to read! id be with Iain on not texting someone back who text like that. they just wouldnt be the kind of person i would want to go out with!
sorry if i offend anyone with my inaccurate grammar, but i have a really high standard of irish, just check my leaving cert! :wink:
to the brave and faithful nothing is impossible

European Champions 2006!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

matt_j_12 wrote:
sammy wrote:Agreed entirely. I see poor grammar, spelling and punctuation and I immediately think idiot. I absolutely adore the thread entitled GCSE,S. You should be lucky love, I'd say GCSE might be a bit more manageable for someone of your linguistic prowess!
Well you just keep going round judging people on their english then! see how far it gets u
Its got me a long way so far 'Mat'! You keep spelling you without a y and an o and we'll see how far it gets you!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I'm a legal secretary - it wouldn't get me very far to use spelling, grammar or punctuation incorrectly! Plus any of you who claim you're not bothered or that it doesn't matter - would YOU like your legal paperwork mis-spelled and badly written? I doubt it.

Sadly, I see misuse of punctuation and grammatical errors quite often. The last office I worked in - they sacked an office junior because her English was so bad and she seemed incapable of understanding what was wrong with it.

Maybe on message boards it doesn't matter as much, but in my experience, sloppy English on social things like this leads to sloppy English habits generally and no University or employer worth their salt will ignore such mistakes in applications and letters etc.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother