Thread Locking

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Can I add at this point that, although they don't tell you how many posts make up your rank, there IS an FAQ facility at the top for basic info!
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Wow, I never saw that before :P I've used Memberlist, Profile, Inbox, and Logout, but never registered that FAQ is there.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

Iain wrote:I haven't got a clue how many posts equate to what avator....not something thats ever interested me in the slightest, but if I knew I'd tell you. The reason why we have always locked such threads is that it ALWAYS goes into discussion about people being delighted they are now gold users / comparing each others avators and finally someone posting 3 times for no reason because they are about to move up an avator. It is all to stop people trying to bump up their word count.

I repeat what I keep saying.... if anyone wants to help moderating I'd only be too happy to receive the help, given that I am fast getting fed up of Chit Chat.
I suppose that's why it's called Welford Ropad Chit Chat then, as that's exactly what it's for. ..... There's always stupid rules and regulations for everything. Time to not bother also maybe. You try and show an interest and then get kicked in the butt. ?????

It has to be male bulls**t as usual.... Sorry, but it gets me down. :evil:
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Ashby Rock Chick wrote:I suppose that's why it's called Welford Ropad Chit Chat then, as that's exactly what it's for. ..... There's always stupid rules and regulations for everything. Time to not bother also maybe. You try and show an interest and then get kicked in the butt. ?????

It has to be male bulls**t as usual.... Sorry, but it gets me down.
I wish some people would get some perspective. Although on this occasion Im not sure who I side with. I used to enjoy the chit chat side of things. I had some cracking debates about a number of things and got shot down because the board was getting 'boring' in the words of one unnamed user.

Therefore in my eyes it seems ironic that Iain is locking threads because they degenerate into mindless rubbish. The whole forum is mindless rubbish! Fake airlines, forum parties (honestly, how depressing is that! Have a real party!), one users bathtime thoughts, favourite cartoon characters and an 8 page discussion on GCSE's where the title is so poor grammatically that the user who started it would be lucky to get any GCSE's! Its garbage, hence why my posting on this side has dipped rather dramatically recently.

I've always found the whole internet forum thing to be a slightly depressing concept if its used to make friends. I adore the debates with like-minded folks, sometimes (and rarely now) its fantastic.

If the quality improves, then fair enough. If it remains garbage, Iain mate, I'd just nominate one of the 'clique' to moderate the thing and be done with it. I'll be back when the quality improves, until then enjoy your fake airline!
matt_j_12
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by matt_j_12 »

The moderating is slowly taking away the character of the board, and slowly but surely everyone will get bored sick, because theirs no fun!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Have all the fun you want! Thats what I'm trying to make sure everyone (INCLUDING NEW MEMBERS) can do. But understand I DO have to make sure that threads don't get too long and I do have to make sure threads stay on topic. I'm trying to be as lenient as I can to make sure I can make sure you're all still having fun and that I can ensure that but clearly its not good enough for a lot of you who seem intent on having a moan any time I try and do anything in the best interests of the board.

Chit Chat was originally set up to stop the few non-rugby, but interesting and debatable threads, to be set up without interfering with the rugby chat on the fans forum. Since then Chit Chat has become something else with users registering to use this forum who have pretty much no rugby interest whatsoever. Thats not what this forum was intended for but so be it. If it was up to me I might not have set up an off-topic forum as I think that any forum on an official club website should really be rugby related. But hey, not my call so I'll continue to moderate it. I will only lock or delete a topic for the following reasons:

1. If it has got too long and run its course
2. If it becomes vulgar or full of innuendo
3. If it contains anything libellous
4. If it contains anything offensive or abusive
5. Any spamming.
6. If the thread goes horrendously off topic

I will also delete any individual posts if it isn't in keeping with the thread (such as general chat on the introduction thread, or if an offensive post spoils a good thread)

Just meet me half way please??
matt_j_12
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by matt_j_12 »

Ill never complain again. Or at least try
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Ashby Rock Chick wrote:
Iain wrote:I haven't got a clue how many posts equate to what avator....not something thats ever interested me in the slightest, but if I knew I'd tell you. The reason why we have always locked such threads is that it ALWAYS goes into discussion about people being delighted they are now gold users / comparing each others avators and finally someone posting 3 times for no reason because they are about to move up an avator. It is all to stop people trying to bump up their word count.

I repeat what I keep saying.... if anyone wants to help moderating I'd only be too happy to receive the help, given that I am fast getting fed up of Chit Chat.
I suppose that's why it's called Welford Ropad Chit Chat then, as that's exactly what it's for. ..... There's always stupid rules and regulations for everything. Time to not bother also maybe. You try and show an interest and then get kicked in the butt. ?????

It has to be male bulls**t as usual.... Sorry, but it gets me down. :evil:
not necessarily, I'm a woman and I agree with Iain in this instance, it doesn't take much to use the search facility to look for previous threads about titles and post counts. Quite frankly I wish they would do away with the post count AND user titles because it causes people to post simply to increase their post count and change their user title.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

IsraeliTiger wrote:Alright guys, lay off. I personally disagreed with the NEWT being locked, but this rule (locking threads about post count) is perfectly logical and has been enforced throughout my time here. I'm starting to think you just want an excuse to criticise Iain, he's doing a fine job as far as I can see. On the political forum I used to moderate, such a thread (NEWT) would be deleted without any discussion or poll.
That said, I adapt depending on which forum I moderate (I've moderated a few), and would be more than happy to help you Iain. :)
Okay, guys take a chill pill one and all. Iain does a fine job that's agreed by all I appreciate that at the end of the day he is doing his job. :D

However, if you are fairly new on here (which I am) and don't know about the rules (which I didn't), then sometimes questions are bound to arise (like mine did). And it's okay just deleting the thread or poll but how rude would that seem if you did not know about the thread locking rule. or on any other "touchy" topic.

I thought I'd done something really wrong when the thread got locked!!!

Is there a list of these rules somewhere. Should I go to confession now I've been so bad??? :twisted: Sign, pass ME those pills. :?
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Kinoulton wrote:Mine says Gold Member.

This is similar to the soubriquet normally applied to David Beckham.
Hey Kinny, you must be special with that Gold Member!! :D
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Rizzo wrote:Maybe a suggestion?

Could we make a sticky post at the top of this forum, regarding titles and post counts associated with them?

Tiger Cub is 1-49
Top Cat is 50-99
Senior Member is 100-349
Bronze Member is 350-499
Silver Member is 500-749
Gold Member is 750-999
Super User is 1000 upwards

Then hopefully people would be able just to look at the top and it would be there :)

I like that suggestion Rizzo, it's perfectly logical!!!! That would end the silly rule then. Are people really sad enough to bump their posts up just to get the Gold Member status etc? They should get out instead of sitting at the computer all day (says she although at work so have no choice). xxxxxxx :wink:

possibly including an explanation that you cannot upload or use your own choice of avatar, you have to have the ones given by the site.

Could also include basic instructions on how to add a signature comment or poem etc to your posts.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Ashby Rock Chick wrote:However, if you are fairly new on here (which I am) and don't know about the rules (which I didn't), then sometimes questions are bound to arise (like mine did). And it's okay just deleting the thread or poll but how rude would that seem if you did not know about the thread locking rule. or on any other "touchy" topic.

Is there a list of these rules somewhere. Should I go to confession now I've been so bad??? :twisted: Sign, pass ME those pills. :?
As far as I know, Ashby (hope you don't mind me calling you that!) there isn't a list of Rules as such, I have looked. I understand that there aren't a set of "Rules and Regulations" because it's hoped that people don't need such things and it makes the board seem more impersonal. I suppose the things that Iain posted in his message above would be the basic rules. i.e.

"1. If it has got too long and run its course
5. Any spamming.

I will also delete any individual posts if it isn't in keeping with the thread (such as general chat on the introduction thread, or if an offensive post spoils a good thread"
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Rizzo wrote:
Ashby Rock Chick wrote:However, if you are fairly new on here (which I am) and don't know about the rules (which I didn't), then sometimes questions are bound to arise (like mine did). And it's okay just deleting the thread or poll but how rude would that seem if you did not know about the thread locking rule. or on any other "touchy" topic.

As far as I know, Ashby (hope you don't mind me calling you that!) there isn't a list of Rules as such, I have looked. I understand that there aren't a set of "Rules and Regulations" because it's hoped that people don't need such things and it makes the board seem more impersonal. I suppose the things that Iain posted in his message above would be the basic rules. i.e.

"1. If it has got too long and run its course
5. Any spamming.

I will also delete any individual posts if it isn't in keeping with the thread (such as general chat on the introduction thread, or if an offensive post spoils a good thread"
Thanks for that Rizzo me duck!! (as we say here in Leicestershire/Derbyshire).

I had a good laugh at that, especially No 2. (Are you reading this Kinny????). :D
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Innuendo? Moi?

I think Iain knows that I never intentionally post innuendo.

It's just that some of you read what I've written and decide to take it up the wrong way.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Kinoulton wrote:Innuendo? Moi?

I think Iain knows that I never intentionally post innuendo.

It's just that some of you read what I've written and decide to take it up the wrong way.
I think I have appendicitis from laughing. .... Has you nose grown bigger lately? :lol:

P.s. Did you watch the show jumping at Hickstead yesterday? I was trying to work in the pub and it kept distracting me. 8)