Red's profound thoughts whilst lying in the bath vol 1:

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

redtiger
Super User
Super User

Red's profound thoughts whilst lying in the bath vol 1:

Post by redtiger »

couldn't fit the full title in. basically it's about bands nowadays and shelf life. i always have deep thoughts whilst soaping myself in the morning. i was reading some article in the star by that total t*t who's mr "i discovered arctic monkeys", "arctic monkeys are my discovery i own them DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!" don't know his name i shall call him Mr T.Osser. basically Mr Osser was going on about Morrissey for criticizing the arctic lads, and Mr Osser was saying "Morrissey you're old you're past it you're not important shut up"...well actually Mr Osser, Morrissey is still here after 20 plus years, him and people like u2 who, by their very nature should not have made it far because they are not really commercial artists, well u2 are now obviously. No bands with any charcater or any real genuine ability to become iconic. bands like arctic monkeys are better than most but do you really see them surviving in any form for too long?? coldplay are a massive band and they've done some great songs but no one can name them, chris martin poss has a chance i guess he's quite opinionated but where are the real characters?? last great bands for me are arguably oasis, nirvana and radiohead
Forgot the resty - vesty is the besty!
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

Interesting bathtime thoughts Red.............my morning bath thoughts normally involve just trying to stay awake and not risk drowning myself!

Musical longevity is an interesting thing, because it's not necessarily linked to musical greatness, but often to an ability to reinvent oneself. Look at Madonna and Kylie. I'm not a fan of their music but they've lasted so long through clever image makers managing to change their looks and their musical style.

I'm thrilled Morrissey's still making music. Didn't really like him in the 80s, but with growing maturity and wisdom (!) has come an appreciation of his genius.
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

same here on morrissey, and i agree on madonna, never liked her but fair play for keeping on going. as much as i hate him, i think doherty is one of the few people in the new millennium who has potential to be an icon still going in 20 years or so, i doubt it will happen but if he gets off the smack, apologises to well, everyone, he could go far, beneath it all there is ability and he has the history to build a fanbase. as much as i hate him, i think the music industry needs some dohertys, but in a slightly less extreme way.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

my bathtime meditations are usually along the lines of "why does someone else always use the hot water up before I have a bath?" "why didn't I lock the door?" and "no I can't come and find the (insert item here) cos I am in the BATH!"

Occasionally, if the event is well-planned, my thoughts are likely to be covering sips of cold wine, top ups of hot water and whether or not I can slide right down in the new large whirlpool bath without slipping in the maelstrom of bubbles and drowning myself.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Ashby Rock Chick
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Bathtime Blues

Post by Ashby Rock Chick »

Mmm bathtime thoughts eh, can't put them all down here or else the Mods will be after me again.

I too lie in the bath and reflect on life, love (or lack of it) and the state of the world whilst I am shaving my legs, rubbing the hard skin off my feet and singing any of the silly kids songs I am currently learning on my guitar, (which have a bad habit of sticking in my head for days). I even take my rubber duck for a swim sometimes.

What can I say Red but I can't name any Morrisey songs either apart from Girlfriend in a Coma. He is a bit of a yoddler to me. Music producers these days are good at turning out bands that are "trendy" and who you won't have heard of in another 6 months. I cannot stand Arctic Monkeys and have to get rid of them pronto if they come on Kerrang or any other radio station I listen to. They have no soul or character whatsoever, I find the music bland.

Mr Doherty will never stay clean for long enough to become an icon, he is Mr .T. Osser himself. These self opinionated boy bands are a one season addiction.

People like Madonna get it right and are 100% fantastic at changing their look and sound to keep people interested.

I suppose it's all just a matter of taste, each to their own and all that. It's good to have choice.
:lol:
Personally though, I am glad Top of The Pops has been killed. It died a death years ago. 8)
You gotta fight for your right to .... PARTY!
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Bath time pondering normally goes as far as it that bubble bath cost Mrs spike (insert stupid amount of money here) why can't they make the bubbles the same colour as the liquid?
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

have to say rizzo you do concentrate hard on stayin alive in that bath :lol: its a jungle out there. arctic monkeys suffer the same problem as most other next big things nowadays, just too much overhype and exposure, its too much pressure to soon. they're just kids at the end of the day so don't build them up like god.
RoyalBlueStuey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RoyalBlueStuey »

Call me an old fuddy-duddy but I hate the idea of washing my face in the same water I wash my backside in.
Everton is the dominant species. I am Everton
http://garstontowers.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/garstontowers
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

note to self: don't whack on any serious posts, it gets them natives restless :wink: :roll:
RoyalBlueStuey
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RoyalBlueStuey »

Sorry mate...............it was just too much of a change in direction for me. I reverted to type. :oops:
Everton is the dominant species. I am Everton
http://garstontowers.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/garstontowers
redtiger
Super User
Super User

Post by redtiger »

that's ok stu, i come up with complete gibberish on everyone else's posts so here's my payback ha ha!! :lol:
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

My theory is that the best songs come when a bunch of people get together and make it happen.

Of course, someone is in charge of writing the basic music and the words, but when they start performing it gets exciting.

Like when Pete Townsend wrote Happy Jack, it was probably no more than a whimsical ditty until Keith Moon got hold of it and proceeded to BLAT BLAT BLAT on his drums like a madman everytime there was a long enough gap for him to do so.

How many times has a group's leader gone solo and got absolutely nowhere? Paul Weller might be an exception, but even he couldn't recreate the rawness of The Jam.

So to my mind when a chap sits alone and writes a song, either for himself or someone else, it will have only his ideas and is in danger of being lame.

Give me a group that's come up the right way, creating music together, playing it in pubs, and finding out what works.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Well, the Wedding Present are still going 20 years on. And so am I. Not sure which of those two is the more remarkable in all the circumstances.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Kinoulton wrote: Give me a group that's come up the right way, creating music together, playing it in pubs, and finding out what works.
Bon Jovi. Began as a small bar band in New Jersey, wrote their own stuff from the start, played anywhere and everywhere in the early days (including Granby Halls in 1984) - their manager at the time said they would play a pay toilet and use their own change!

Now they sell out stadiums worldwide, they may not be "cool" but they've stayed the distance. JBJ now claims that they are still "just a bar band that plays BIG bars" :lol:
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I first saw Black Sabbath in a youth club in Arnold. 2 shillings and 6 pence to get in (12.5 p, kids), no bar, just a tuck shop.

They were bleeping brilliant.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!