What shall I read now?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Curious Incident was my pick of best book ever on the last booky thread. It is fantastic, so I guess I'll like Pi and The Magus. Off to Amazon.

I keep meaning to try Pratchett, IT, as he has written so much it will stop me having to wonder what to read ever again. Good plan. I'll have a look at Cornwell too, though the titles sound a bit mystic? I find that hard to get into, being about as mystic as a house brick, but I'll have a go.
Don't mess with The Mothers!
Wattsman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Wattsman »

Cornwall isn't mystic... the odd paddle in the rockpools on the edge of the sea of religion, but mostly blood, war and pillage. Much use of taverns and swords and gore and conniving monks.

Pratchett is very funny, though his work has matured from wholly fantasy based into more realistic work recently, an improvement from very good to excellent. Night Watch is the best of the discworld series. The man's very funny and incredibly imaginative.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Cornish Tiger wrote:Thanks guys. Knew I could rely on you. Have read Brief History of Time - agree it is good, but being a science moron I actually found it hard to follow and had to read it in one go to keep the thoughts making sense. Like Dickens but have read a lot already. And it seems like work...my trouble is I did a degree in Eng Lit and it's taken me years to actually enjoy reading again.

Might try Nick Hornby. Is he very blokey? Did he write About a Boy?

Have just amazoned Beach Road and Beyond Black. They sound good. Thanks Sammy and Em.
Hornby's not really Blokey. Very musical though, if you like your music you'll love Nick Hornby. He's incredibly popular for a good reason. Either read High Fidelity or A Long Way Down. Both outstanding books.
SPIKE@srufc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SPIKE@srufc »

Try some of these;

The wasp factory - Iain Banks

Reaper Man - Terry Pratchett

The 5 people you meet in heaven - can't remember the author...........

Johnno's autobiography is a good read.

My youngest son tells me the Captain Underpants books are very good. :wink:
SPIKE

It's not the winning or losing but the taking apart which matters.
Deacon-bro

Post by Deacon-bro »

Nick Hornby's 'How to be good' is not at all blokey. In fact it's written from the perspective of a woman. I really enjoyed it.
Lou

Post by Lou »

all of Terry Pratchetts books are worth a read, they are great and should keep you occupied for a while

Also would recommend Bryce Courtenay's Potato Factory Trilogy, well worth a go especially if you fancy something a little different.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

Pratchett is good. Not enough swearing, though. I have to admit to a guilty pleasure in Robert Jordan's never-frickin-ending Wheel of Time. Michael Connolly or James Lee Burke are pretty good in the "literary" end of crime novels where you still get guns going off and a reasonable profanity count. Carl Hiaasen is terrific; but nobody comes near Elmore Leonard. He is the daddy.
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

SPIKE@srufc wrote:My youngest son tells me the Captain Underpants books are very good. :wink:
Now you're talking! Mr Underpants is very funny. Your son has the best taste - metal and captain underpants :D
Don't mess with The Mothers!
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

For Captain Underpants fans:

http://www.pilkey.com/

Enjoy!
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »