What shall I read now?

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

What shall I read now?

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Owing to the great success of the Tiger's book club a few months ago, I thought I'd pick your brains again. I have just finished (I am very slow - I follow the words with my index finger!) Birdsong (cheers Kin) and need a new read. Really enjoyed that.

Hate chick lit, and mysteries. Lke thought provoking...

Any ideas?
Don't mess with The Mothers!
anything_but_ordinary
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by anything_but_ordinary »

Beach Road is supberp
ITS ME EMILY!
JUS FANCIED A CHANGE!!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

What's that about Emily?
anything_but_ordinary
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

the chapters are different people in the story about a murder that the police are blamin a boy for, he didnt do it, he is a good boy best basketball player in the area so yeah its quite wierd actually but very good

i'm not very good at describing books am i
ITS ME EMILY!
JUS FANCIED A CHANGE!!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I understand what you are meaning, so no probs. It sounds pretty intereresting. And a different approach to the story also.
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Give Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel a read. Its about a medium. Very trippy but pretty hilarious and dark at the same time. And the new Nick Hornby book. That man is my god.
anything_but_ordinary
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

sammy thats blasphemous
ITS ME EMILY!
JUS FANCIED A CHANGE!!!
sammy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sammy »

Why? Seriously. Nick Hornby and Austin Healey. The latest one was called 'A long way down' and was fantastic. How can a book on suicide be that funny?
King Kong
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by King Kong »

brief history of time- as far as physics books go it is really simple and well written. A 3 year old could understand it.
Dickens is always worth a read.
Gate
Super User
Super User

Post by Gate »

"Quite Ugly One Morning" by Christopher Brookmyre has the best opening of any book I have ever read.
Cornish Tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cornish Tiger »

Thanks guys. Knew I could rely on you. Have read Brief History of Time - agree it is good, but being a science moron I actually found it hard to follow and had to read it in one go to keep the thoughts making sense. Like Dickens but have read a lot already. And it seems like work...my trouble is I did a degree in Eng Lit and it's taken me years to actually enjoy reading again.

Might try Nick Hornby. Is he very blokey? Did he write About a Boy?

Have just amazoned Beach Road and Beyond Black. They sound good. Thanks Sammy and Em.
Don't mess with The Mothers!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is worth a read. I'm also stuck into Bernard Cornwell at the moment, his new book Lords of the North is interesting.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Gonzo

Post by Gonzo »

CT, I sympathise with your English degree situation. I did the same degree and the horrendous over-analysis of books put me off reading too. For years I only read magazines!

Back into books now thankfully. If you've not read 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time', give it a go. Funny, heartbreaking and thought provoking all at the same time. 'The Life of Pi' is also a good read.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Totally agree on The Life of Pi and The Curious Incident. Both brilliant.

My favourite read ever was The Magus by John Fowles. Fantastic.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
IsraeliTiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IsraeliTiger »

Life if Pi is good. I also enjoyed the Grail trilogy by Bernard Cornwell. Whats Lords of the North about?

And Terry Pratchett, read The Colour Of Magic, its the first in his Discworld series, brilliant brilliant book. Its a 30 book series, so it'll keep you amused for a while too.
Kinoulton wrote:Surely that's much more in depth than your average corporate box punter can tolerate. How about "If the entire crowd shut up, you shut up. Otherwise we'll close your bar."