Lose v Loose

Non- Rugby Related Chat. Please note that this forum is moderated. If you wish to make comments for the club's attention please do so in Fans Forum and not this one.

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Lose v Loose

Post by LE18 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:19 pm

I apologise in advance and hope the Mods will allow this Topic, I mean no disrespect but just want to help.

Like others who have mentioned this, the English Language, and the way we pronounce and emphasise the word, can lead to spelling mistakes, which can, if repeated, become annoying.

To Lose, means to lose a match and not win.

Loose is the position Genge plays, ie Loose Head Prop.

Sorry for those who argue spelling doesn't matter, but to some it can be annoying and I hope you will take this in good faith.

h's dad
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: In front of pc

Re: Lose v Loose

Post by h's dad » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:33 pm

LE18 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:19 pm
I apologise in advance and hope the Mods will allow this Topic, I mean no disrespect but just want to help.

Like others who have mentioned this, the English Language, and the way we pronounce and emphasise the word, can lead to spelling mistakes, which can, if repeated, become annoying.

To Lose, means to lose a match and not win.

Loose is the position Genge plays, ie Loose Head Prop.

Sorry for those who argue spelling doesn't matter, but to some it can be annoying and I hope you will take this in good faith.
While I may agree with your sentiment, none of us are perfect and the general consensus is that this is something that nit-pickers just have to put up with. If you do feel really strongly about this I suggest you take it up with the schools and teachers rather than this forum. Speaking of this forum, could this thread please be moved to chit chat (although not many seem to know where that is)? I'm sure fans forum is the wrong place for it.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 511
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Re: Lose v Loose

Post by Traveller » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:04 pm

h's dad wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:33 pm
LE18 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:19 pm
I apologise in advance and hope the Mods will allow this Topic, I mean no disrespect but just want to help.

Like others who have mentioned this, the English Language, and the way we pronounce and emphasise the word, can lead to spelling mistakes, which can, if repeated, become annoying.

To Lose, means to lose a match and not win.

Loose is the position Genge plays, ie Loose Head Prop.

Sorry for those who argue spelling doesn't matter, but to some it can be annoying and I hope you will take this in good faith.
While I may agree with your sentiment, none of us are perfect and the general consensus is that this is something that nit-pickers just have to put up with. If you do feel really strongly about this I suggest you take it up with the schools and teachers rather than this forum. Speaking of this forum, could this thread please be moved to chit chat (although not many seem to know where that is)? I'm sure fans forum is the wrong place for it.
Whilst we're at it can we please have some attentiveness around the proper pronunciation of the word 'tomato'. You may say 'tomato', but the proper pronunciation is 'tomato'. I now that mite seam off bearly ennui you's. I'm at a lose end.

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2274
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Lose v Loose

Post by kpj tiger » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Apologies for the spelling error of lose on the Bath thread (and probably many others), I understand that it can be annoying when people spell poorly on a platform like this where the only way to communicate is through writing, but as somebody who is dyslexic and received no extra support during school, spelling has always been a battle for me, especially in comparison to my spoken English.

I know no malice was intended with this thread or on the Bath thread and I personally don't get upset at all when people correct me, but I know there are many other people, especially those with severe dyslexia, who can get upset if they are publicly called out, so I would urge people to be as diplomatic and polite as possible when correcting people's spelling.

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5385
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: Lose v Loose

Post by Tigerbeat » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:16 pm

Spelling is not a requirement for posting on the forum.

Users command of the English language may vary so need to be respected.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Lose v Loose

Post by LE18 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:21 pm

kpj tiger wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Apologies for the spelling error of lose on the Bath thread (and probably many others), I understand that it can be annoying when people spell poorly on a platform like this where the only way to communicate is through writing, but as somebody who is dyslexic and received no extra support during school, spelling has always been a battle for me, especially in comparison to my spoken English.

I know no malice was intended with this thread or on the Bath thread and I personally don't get upset at all when people correct me, but I know there are many other people, especially those with severe dyslexia, who can get upset if they are publicly called out, so I would urge people to be as diplomatic and polite as possible when correcting people's spelling.
Kpj Tiger,

I am sorry I meant no malice to anyone, there are so many on this forum that mistakenly spell that word wrongly, I just hoped that my Topic might help, but alas, the big "noises" have had this moved to Chit Chat and no one reads this, so it was a mistake and a waste of my time just trying to help people and eliminate a very common mistake.

Sorry again.

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2274
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: Lose v Loose

Post by kpj tiger » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:28 pm

LE18 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:21 pm
kpj tiger wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Apologies for the spelling error of lose on the Bath thread (and probably many others), I understand that it can be annoying when people spell poorly on a platform like this where the only way to communicate is through writing, but as somebody who is dyslexic and received no extra support during school, spelling has always been a battle for me, especially in comparison to my spoken English.

I know no malice was intended with this thread or on the Bath thread and I personally don't get upset at all when people correct me, but I know there are many other people, especially those with severe dyslexia, who can get upset if they are publicly called out, so I would urge people to be as diplomatic and polite as possible when correcting people's spelling.
Kpj Tiger,

I am sorry I meant no malice to anyone, there are so many on this forum that mistakenly spell that word wrongly, I just hoped that my Topic might help, but alas, the big "noises" have had this moved to Chit Chat and no one reads this, so it was a mistake and a waste of my time just trying to help people and eliminate a very common mistake.

Sorry again.
Like I say I know no offence was intended nor was I offended, I think It is good when people try to educate but I have seen posts on this forum in the past that have verged on mocking people, my post was merely intended on making people aware that sometimes it's not down to ignorance and that the mocking tone people have used in the past doesn't help

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Lose v Loose

Post by LE18 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:41 pm

:smt052
kpj tiger wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:28 pm
LE18 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:21 pm
kpj tiger wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Apologies for the spelling error of lose on the Bath thread (and probably many others), I understand that it can be annoying when people spell poorly on a platform like this where the only way to communicate is through writing, but as somebody who is dyslexic and received no extra support during school, spelling has always been a battle for me, especially in comparison to my spoken English.

I know no malice was intended with this thread or on the Bath thread and I personally don't get upset at all when people correct me, but I know there are many other people, especially those with severe dyslexia, who can get upset if they are publicly called out, so I would urge people to be as diplomatic and polite as possible when correcting people's spelling.
Kpj Tiger,

I am sorry I meant no malice to anyone, there are so many on this forum that mistakenly spell that word wrongly, I just hoped that my Topic might help, but alas, the big "noises" have had this moved to Chit Chat and no one reads this, so it was a mistake and a waste of my time just trying to help people and eliminate a very common mistake.

Sorry again.
Like I say I know no offence was intended nor was I offended, I think It is good when people try to educate but I have seen posts on this forum in the past that have verged on mocking people, my post was merely intended on making people aware that sometimes it's not down to ignorance and that the mocking tone people have used in the past doesn't help
:smt052

h's dad
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 pm
Location: In front of pc

Re: Lose v Loose

Post by h's dad » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:45 pm

LE18 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:21 pm
kpj tiger wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Apologies for the spelling error of lose on the Bath thread (and probably many others), I understand that it can be annoying when people spell poorly on a platform like this where the only way to communicate is through writing, but as somebody who is dyslexic and received no extra support during school, spelling has always been a battle for me, especially in comparison to my spoken English.

I know no malice was intended with this thread or on the Bath thread and I personally don't get upset at all when people correct me, but I know there are many other people, especially those with severe dyslexia, who can get upset if they are publicly called out, so I would urge people to be as diplomatic and polite as possible when correcting people's spelling.
Kpj Tiger,

I am sorry I meant no malice to anyone, there are so many on this forum that mistakenly spell that word wrongly, I just hoped that my Topic might help, but alas, the big "noises" have had this moved to Chit Chat and no one reads this, so it was a mistake and a waste of my time just trying to help people and eliminate a very common mistake.

Sorry again.
The fans forum is for rugby related topics, actually it states Tigers related but I guess there is some leeway, or maybe the description need reviewing (hint to Mods) but if someone wants to put their (not there or they're) grammar gripes on it, is it ok if I put my odds and sods for sale on it? No? Didn't think so. I'm sure it's supposed to be either a Tigers forum or a rugby forum; not a grammar or even a general forum. It's a shame chit chat has fallen into virtual disuse; I did enjoy a lot of what went on here.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests