Forum Page Design

Technical forum for feedback and comments on the website.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AlphaWiseOwl

Forum Page Design

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

Could you either move, or duplicate, the "Display Post" line and the associated options section to the top of the page so that you do not have to scroll down to find it?

Also, what is UTC[DST] time when it's at home? The last time I checked, Leicester was still in the UK so why is GMT or BST time not the default setting?
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Forum Page Design

Post by GT1 »

Probably better to post this on the technical forum!
This is the rugby forum although you wonder sometimes :smt023
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

DST stands for daylight saving time and there are other countries who put there clocks forward in summer.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

Yes I do know that other countires use DST but DST has no significance in the UK, only GMT/BST. It begs the question as to why a UK Rugby club would use anything other than GMT/BST - that's all. Maybe we should transport Leicester to PCT or EST or any one of the hundred other time zones - now there's a thought :smt041
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The interface for the forum is, I think, designed in the USA hence the DST option name. I do not believe it is possible to change the layout for individual viewing but I don't actually understand what you mean by moving the "Display Post" - every forum I use you have to scroll up and down to view threads and posts.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

Er - so why do we have to put up with a USA design? I don't see the Detroit Tigers baseball team using a European format for their site and I doubt that would ever happen.

The line I am suggesting could be moved is the one (black with white font) titled "Display Options" where you choose to show posts in Ascending/Descending order. It just makes sense to me (at least) to have that at the top of he page rather than the bottom. However, if it is indeed a US fixed template design it would probably cost an arm and a leg to alter.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I will pass on your comments to the Club's IT department.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

AlphaWiseOwl wrote:Yes I do know that other countires use DST but DST has no significance in the UK, only GMT/BST. It begs the question as to why a UK Rugby club would use anything other than GMT/BST - that's all. Maybe we should transport Leicester to PCT or EST or any one of the hundred other time zones - now there's a thought :smt041
Sadly you are wrong - the UK now officially (since 1972 by international agreement) uses UTC (Co-ordinated Universal Time - it's UTC 'cos the French stuck their noses in and demanded TUC and we (the rest) wanted CUT so we compromised at UTC) as the basis for its time and BST is the same as DST for UTC zone 0 (zero) or Z (zulu) which is approximately the same as GMT (I say approximately as it's inaccurate now at the sub-second level).
Hence this message about UTC is nothing whatsoever to do with the USA or zones, and solely to do with a statement of compliance to agreed international standards.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

DickyP wrote:
AlphaWiseOwl wrote:Yes I do know that other countires use DST but DST has no significance in the UK, only GMT/BST. It begs the question as to why a UK Rugby club would use anything other than GMT/BST - that's all. Maybe we should transport Leicester to PCT or EST or any one of the hundred other time zones - now there's a thought :smt041
Sadly you are wrong - the UK now officially (since 1972 by international agreement) uses UTC (Co-ordinated Universal Time - it's UTC 'cos the French stuck their noses in and demanded TUC and we (the rest) wanted CUT so we compromised at UTC) as the basis for its time and BST is the same as DST for UTC zone 0 (zero) or Z (zulu) which is approximately the same as GMT (I say approximately as it's inaccurate now at the sub-second level).
Hence this message about UTC is nothing whatsoever to do with the USA or zones, and solely to do with a statement of compliance to agreed international standards.
You may be right but that is what is wrong with the world today. What we need are a few gunboats and some gumption. Harumph.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

h's dad wrote:
DickyP wrote:
You may be right but that is what is wrong with the world today. What we need are a few gunboats and some gumption. Harumph.
That's why I said 'sadly' - I'm sick of change for change's sake for no discernible advantage. At least I can see a degree of logic in this one unlike many other changes.

I think it's amusing that as soon as we get a bit of deep snow the TV weathermen/girls go back to talking in inches, which people understand/visualize instead of centimetres which are just numbers.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

DickyP wrote: I think it's amusing that as soon as we get a bit of deep snow the TV weathermen/girls go back to talking in inches, which people understand/visualize instead of centimetres which are just numbers.

I think this depends on which generation you are- i think anyone under 35 would probably understand metric better than imperial- I'm of an age where I'm happy with either though so it's win/ win!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

vin rouge wrote:
DickyP wrote: I think it's amusing that as soon as we get a bit of deep snow the TV weathermen/girls go back to talking in inches, which people understand/visualize instead of centimetres which are just numbers.

I think this depends on which generation you are- i think anyone under 35 would probably understand metric better than imperial- I'm of an age where I'm happy with either though so it's win/ win!
I agree up to a point - especially so on temperature where we're pretty much all metric these days, although I personally still think in Fahrenheit.

Size is a different matter altogether - I deal with teenagers a lot and they all talk in feet and inches about their heights and for measures where metric is inadequate and difficult to visualize such as 4 inches through to about 2 feet (approx 60 cm). Hence yards which are a similar measure to metres are seldom used. Simple experiment - ask someone to show you 30 cm and ask them to show you a foot - and see the answers you get and how accurate they are. For that matter ask any bloke about a girls bust size and see how seldom you get an answer in cm/mm!