Any chance of an Iphone app?

Technical forum for feedback and comments on the website.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Any chance of an Iphone app?

Post by POSTIGER »

Hello powers that be. I was wondering if there were any plans to introduce an Iphone-friendly version of this website. I noticed that Leicester City FC are working towards offering a premium application and wondered if it had been considered by Tigers?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Rizzo

Re: Any chance of an Iphone app?

Post by Rizzo »

Not having an iPhone, I'm not entirely sure what a Tigers iPhone app would do, but I will direct this post to the webmaster.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Thanks Rizzo. Basically it is just a mobile friendly version of this very site. The text etc is made bigger so you can buy tickets, post on the forum etc from your mobile phone. A lot of newspapers and people like Skysports offer them, I just wondered if we might see a Tigers version.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I understand this is hopefully to be made available in mid to late April.
Demelza - another Mother
Tiger Ghost
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tiger Ghost »

Great stuff. Look forward to trying it out
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Thanks Rizzo and powers that be! I'll let you know how I get on with it.

...if you're interested that is!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Really looking forward to getting this app when it is launched. Can't be long now? Do we know if we will be able to access the Forums via it?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I don't suppose we can ask when this app is being released. It would be nice to have it before the season finished :smt023
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I believe it's been with Apple for testing and approval, but we hope to have news of a Beta version (for testing) by next weekend with a bit of luck.
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

The first version of the Tigers iPhone app is now available in the iTunes app store.

All feedback welcome on this thread please.
Demelza - another Mother
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Have downloaded it and not massively impressed. Comparing it to the standard GP app there are the following:

Advantages:
- Have squd info to hand
- Have the HC table and LV table (albeit only the Tigers group so we can't see what our competiotors in other groups are doing)
- I assume that as the HC and LV tables are included then we would also get live scores for these competitions which is currently not the case in the GP app.

Disadvantages:
- On live scores you only get the Tigers live score whilst on the GP app you get all the premiership live scores. It is useful knowing what other teams are doing.
- News only gives Tigers news whilst the GP app gives news for each premiership club. It is sometimes nice to know what is going on with the other teams.

Recomendations:
- Show live scores for all premiership games
- Push notification for changes in score on matches selected by the user
- News section defaults to Tigers but you can look at news for all clubs.
- Show full tables for HC and LV (and also international so we can follow our Tigers players on the international stage)
- Very important to have Forum access from the app.

I can't imagine the above changes would be too hard to implement (as most are already included on the GP app which is designed by the same people) but they would offer a significant improvement. At present I doubt the app will be used as it is basically a watered down version of the GP app.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Will S wrote:Have downloaded it and not massively impressed. Comparing it to the standard GP app there are the following:

Advantages:
- Have squd info to hand
- Have the HC table and LV table (albeit only the Tigers group so we can't see what our competiotors in other groups are doing)
- I assume that as the HC and LV tables are included then we would also get live scores for these competitions which is currently not the case in the GP app.

Disadvantages:
- On live scores you only get the Tigers live score whilst on the GP app you get all the premiership live scores. It is useful knowing what other teams are doing.
- News only gives Tigers news whilst the GP app gives news for each premiership club. It is sometimes nice to know what is going on with the other teams.

Recomendations:
- Show full tables for HC and LV (and also international so we can follow our Tigers players on the international stage)

I can't imagine the above changes would be too hard to implement (as most are already included on the GP app which is designed by the same people) but they would offer a significant improvement. At present I doubt the app will be used as it is basically a watered down version of the GP app.
It's a Leicester Tigers specific App Will - what were you expecting!? I have to agree with you about Forum access though. Literally downloaded it in the last 5 mins so will reserve judgment until i've had a right good nosey.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

[quote="POSTIGER"]It's a Leicester Tigers specific App Will - what were you expecting!?[quote]

Tigers fans are still going to be interested in what the teams around them are doing, their news, scores, upcoming fixtures etc.

Ultimately what I am saying is that the standard GP App, which is free and made by the same people, is obviously the template for the Tigers app. The GP App shows all clubs news, upcoming fixtures, past results, all live scores etc.

Now, there are two trains of thought when converting the standard app into a Tigers specific app:

1) Remove all items that are non Tigers specific from the current app (e.g. other team news, fixtures and scores etc)
2) Add to the current app a few items that makes it more Tigers specific (e.g. in Tigers colours (which they have done), Tigers news / fixtures / scores etc as the default settings and always come up first (but you can still go have a look at other clubs news / fixtures / scores etc), Forum access etc, etc.

I am just a bit dissapointed that they appear to have taken the easier option out of the two when it wouldn't have taken much work to do the latter.

I want to use the Tigers App but what is the point when the GP App does everything and alot more. I would use the Tigers App if it just did exactly the same as the GP App but was in Tigers colours!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Please remember this is only the first (beta) version.

Feedback here will be brought to the attention of the IT people.
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Response on queries and points raised above:

I have some feedback on the iPhone App for the forum.

We are looking into providing live scores for the current round of matches in a future release. Hopefully in time for next season.

We are looking to provide this for the Tigers matches, again hopefully in time for next season

This is obviously a Tigers based app, and like our website is the place to come for Tigers news.

Again we’d like to provide this in time for next season

The forum system is not designed in a mobile format. We would be happy to provide a link to the forum as a webpage, but it would not be as easy to navigate as a dedicated app. If the forum users let us know if they’d like to trial this, let me know.

Future improvements will also include the provision of video content and links to the facebook site for feedback / discussion.

All further feedback gratefully received!!!
Demelza - another Mother