No Flash stuff please!!!

Technical forum for feedback and comments on the website.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

No Flash stuff please!!!

Post by MelChannerFan »

Could I make a plea for the Flash Player availability NOT to be checked on every page?

I have probably the slowest broadband possible (600Kbps), but most web sites respond reasonably well except when extremely busy.

On the Tigers site, it apears to check for the Flash player on every page (I cannot see why), and I have a problem installing it with my Internet Security (Zonealarm). It appears to consider Flash Player a threat, and it probably is.

I have tried everything I know to get over this - the same thing happened with V9 and I managed to get round that - but this time I am stuck!

As a result, It takes the best part of a minute to navigate to every web page on your site, and the navigation is not the most ergonimic. so I am thinking of giving up on it.
Rizzo

Re: No Flash stuff please!!!

Post by Rizzo »

I will flag this up for the admin team.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Many thanks

It took 5 minutes to construct this reply!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I am sorry, but the Flash player part runs the News Ticker across the top of the site, and as this is a requirement of the club for the new website layout, the Flash player element has to stay.

The webmaster suggests you try downloading the up to date Flash element
http://www.adobe.com/products/player_ce ... ashplayer/
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
noq
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by noq »

Try using Firefox with the Adblock+ and noscript extensions - gives you more choice on what is run on your machine and you can block flash. Noscript prevents flash from running by default and you have to click on it to start it.
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Thanks for the last two posts - sorry I have taken so long in replying, but I hate sitting in front of the screen for 10 minutes just to make a post.

Points to note:
1. I HAVE downloaded (and installed Flash Player many times v9 and v10). I have even switched off Zonealarm while installing - I will not switch off while accessing the internet. Each time the installation claims to be successful but every web site requiring it says it is not there. Most of them just ask once and it done not significantly affect performance.

2. To be frank, I hate the rolling News anyway. When you try to selecy someting, you often get the next one because of timing problems.

3. I cannot see how Firefox will help by refuing to run Flash Player. Surely I would still get the same problem with delays while the web page invokes it.

4. I have tried to get an answer to this problem from Zonealarm and user groups with no luck so far. Can't we please have a minimal option so that people like me can just read news and contribute to forums? It must be really horrific with dial-up.
noq
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by noq »

MelChannerFan wrote:Thanks for the last two posts - sorry I have taken so long in replying, but I hate sitting in front of the screen for 10 minutes just to make a post.

Points to note:
3. I cannot see how Firefox will help by refuing to run Flash Player. Surely I would still get the same problem with delays while the web page invokes it.
But thats the beauty of it - adblock/noscript will prevent the web page invoking it.
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Thanks Noq - will give Firefox a try