Web site preformance

Technical forum for feedback and comments on the website.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Web site preformance

Post by MelChannerFan »

I posted this on the Tech Forum but got no joy.

Does anyone know what has happened to the web site in the last few days?

The performance now is horrific and it keep insisting I download the Adobe Flash player and if I agree it takes me round in circles!!!
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Web site preformance

Post by Snorbins »

Not had a problem on any of the machines I use.
Have you got the latest flash player? If not it might be worth downloading whilst out of the Tigers site. Just a thought.
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

I have tried all sorts of tricks to download v10 of Flash Player:
as I said, the Tigers site takes me in circles, I tried from BBC and Adobe and in each case I click "Install" and nothing happens.

I had a similar problem with v9 and I thing I solved it by downloading then installing, but that option does not seem to be available.

Is it some sort of interaction with Zonealarm?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Disregarding Adobe for a moment, this forum has the worst performance of those I regularly visit.

Re Flash player, that sounds like a registry problem. I had a similar problem once, but after running every clean up utility I had (incl. those provided by McAfee and Windows OneCare) the problem seemed to resolve itself.

HTH.
ALECW

Post by ALECW »

I am no expert on these things but i rather like the new look of this websight , apologies if I am missing something :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
USED TO BE WESTMIDS ALEC
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Melchannerfan, it has not yet been answered on technical forum because I didn;t see the point in posting to say I was asking someone to look into it. Just because you don't get a response immediately doesn't mean it is being ignored, sorry if you thought so.

I will now say (a) it has been flagged up as a problem with Sotic and (b) I am experiencing no problems with the forum or site running slowly or having trouble loading, nor have I had any such problems in the last week or so.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

I think it's because you use Zonealarm. I use it and a had a problem a while ago. I think I had to shut down Zonealarm for the time it took to download and install Adobe. It shouldn't be a problem, as there won't be a virus in Adobe. However, if you use Zonealarm's firewall, you might want to temporarily use Windows own whilst downloading to stop anyone accessing your comp.
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Thanks for the last two posts. Sorry I have been so longing in replying but the response was so bad I had to give up and let the "Silver Surfer" have a turn at the PC or she gets impatient.

I guess the fundamenal Flash Player probem must be caused by ZoneAlarm. I did manage to find v10 to download, I then ran Install with ZoneAlarm disabled and it appeared to Install OK.
However the web sites still cant find it.

However, I do not understand why the Tigers web site has to try to install it on every page. I only want to read the messages, and listen to the match commentaries (which worked OK on Saturday).

If only we could simply get the match day DVDs again instead of all this clever stuff.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I don't have any problem at home but at work (not that I log on during working hours of course!) I only have a problem in that everything is a bit slow. colleagues who access roundyball sites don't seem to have the same problems so I have claimed discrimination.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

It is I am afraid a typical failing in Techy types in my experience. They like updating something to make it look flashy and to show how clever they are but with no regard for the user. One assumes it is the reason for the whole thing slowing down and unless you have the latest super dooper kit It is like pulling teeth.

Do we really need rolling news on the front screen ... What was wong with a list that we looked down and decided which story we wanted to read - now you go to click and it's gone - It is typical - designed for a generation of people with the attention span of a goldfish with a frontal lobotomy - it is all complete nonsense - it is slow and a really poor user quality ..........Never mind .......it looks great and I bet the bloke who did it is really pleased with himself.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Sorry you dislike the site so much, mightymouse, but I have to say the majority of feedback received indicates that most people like the new look and functionality, there were a few teething troubles with the forum in the first week or so, but most people I've heard from or spoken to seem to like it.

As for the news, you can always click on the "news" button at the top and then choose "Tigers news" from the drop down menu for a list, you don't have to use the scrolling news bar.
Demelza - another Mother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

This is being looked into and a reply will be posted in the Technical Forum. I will move this thread to Technical and leave a shadow here for information only.
Demelza - another Mother
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Rizzo said:
[As for the news, you can always click on the "news" button at the top and then choose "Tigers news" from the drop down menu for a list, you don't have to use the scrolling news bar][/quote]

That is all very well, but if it takes best part of a minute between web pages which searching for the wretched Flash Player, it is no joke invooking an extra 3 pages.

One would think with their turnover, Tigers could employ professional web designers who know about things like performance and ergonomics.