Topic Reply Notifications

Technical forum for feedback and comments on the website.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Topic Reply Notifications

Post by Sherpa2 »

Just a couple of thoughts that I think would make the notification messages a bit more useful, although I do appreciate that different email services will display differently.

Typically all I see on my webmail is
"Topic Reply Notification - CEN..."

I would like to suggest we abbreviate the Topic Reply Notification to TRN, limit the Thread title to say 20 characters and add the posters ID. For example:
TRN Central Contracts are - Sherpa2

Just a thought.
I used to be indecisive now I just can't make up my mind
Gray

Post by Gray »

The other forums I post on which use the same software have a "View posts since last visit" button.
ie, I log on, click the button and every thread which has a new post in is listed, with as link to it. Saves having to go into each forum and scrolling past loads of "Sticky threads", and seeing the times of the latest postings....
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

Thats an even better idea than the email notification.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Slightly confused by what it is you're after?
If you're referring to getting an email notification every time someone responds to a thread you've posted in or a thread you've requested notification about replies - this can be turned on or off via your profile. I don't think there is any way to change how the emails are formatted.

As for the bit about reading topics where new posts have been made - when I open a particular forum, the threads with new posts are orange flagged, those without are grey.

Mind you, I'm logged in virtually all the time anyway ;)
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Sherpa2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sherpa2 »

Hi Rizzo,
Sorry to be confusing. I like receiving the email notifications so I purposefully turn them on when I am interested in a thread. Trouble is, I can't log on regularly so I get loads of messages and I can't see enough information to allow me to select the ones I wan't to look at first (sometimes don't have long) - so yes, I am asking if the format of the subject line can be changed.

The time between log ons is the reason the high lighting method on the forum itself doesn't work well for me - although I do think it is a great feature.

It was just a thought so no big deal - I will wade through 60 or messages in my inbox :D
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Thats not something either myself or Rizzo can sort for you but the Webmaster will read this forum and may be able to change the format if they agree with your points.
Gray

Post by Gray »

The other main site I use also highlight new threads in a nice bright colour. But that site has 22 different technical/social forums, so to check each is a bit time consuming, especially during the daytime.