FAQs & information re avatars, titles & signatures

Technical forum for feedback and comments on the website.

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rizzo

FAQs & information re avatars, titles & signatures

Post by Rizzo »

I thought it might help new users to have this information readily to hand, hopefully so people won't need to keep asking.

User titles below your username to the left are allocated with the number of posts you have made. At present the titles progress as follows:

New Member is 1 - 24
Tiger Cub is 25 -49
Top Cat is 50-99
Senior Member is 100-349
Bronze Member is 350-499
Silver Member is 500-749
Gold Member is 750-1999
Super User is 2000 onwards

The avatars (picture alongside/below your username) are connected directly to the user titles and number of posts made. You cannot upload your own avatar pictures I'm afraid, nor can you add a picture/photo into your signature. This is the way the forum is set up, and not only does it save bandwidth, it also means the forum pages are quicker to load without pictures. You can always post a URL link to a photo or picture if you wish.

Signatures are the phrase, words or whatever you want to put at the bottom of all your posts which will be added automatically whenever you post something. You can do this by clicking on "profile" above, scroll down to where it says "profile information" and entering the text you want to use into the box marked "signature". Be sure to click the button further down where it says "always attach signature".

The Forum now shortens URL links automatically. However, should you wish to make a link into a short version, you can go to http://www.tinyurl.com and follow the simple instructions there. This saves the screen being stretched and becoming unreadable. If you have problems please PM one of the moderators for help.

There is a profanity/swear filter on this forum which is automatically activated. Thus you may find that some words containing banned words are also censored. e.g. the word gr a pes (as in fruit) contains a banned word and the censor icon will be inserted if you type it in full without a space or something. You can post about our beloved forwards coach Richard Cockerill without problem, and I believe Danny Grewcock is also allowed now! However, the new development player with the surname D!ck is not - unless you adapt it as I have done. Please don't try and get round the profanity filter for swearing's sake - it will be sussed out and amended.

If you wish to change your registered email address or username, please send one of the Moderators a PM and we will see what we can do to help you. Obviously you cannot use a name which is already registered to someone else on here.

If your log-in tells you that your password is incorrect, there should be a link below to allow you to have a temporary password sent to the email address you used when you registered. you should then be able to use the temporary password to access your profile and change the password to something personal and memorable. Again, if you have major problems with this, you need to PM the Webmaster or Admin.

The Webmaster does not control the time clock on the forum. You have to change it yourself in your profile to accord with the time zone in which you are situated. Click on Profile near the top of the screen and then scroll down to timezone and change it to +1 for summertime, or as appropriate. Obviously it would be set to GMT in winter. The default setting for the clock is GMT - so if you log out and log in without resetting and saving your clock settings, it will go back to GMT. You can also utilise the button in the line below the place where you choose time settings - this says "summer time/daylight savings time" - click this to yes and save.
The settings are done individually in order that those people in other countries can set the time for their own personal location, rather than having one set time for the forum as a whole. (thanks TJS10 for that explanation.)

PMs (private messages_ stay in your Outbox until the recipient has read the message.
You must check the "keep me logged in" box if you don't want to have to log in every time you post a message.

That's all I can think of at the moment, if anyone wants any other information or thinks of something that would be helpful to add to this sticky, please let me know.
Last edited by Rizzo on Mon May 05, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
HongKongTiger

Post by HongKongTiger »

Rizzo, is this still the case as I've only just become a Tiger Cub after 25 posts - sorry to be pedantic :shock:
The South Stand Rocks !
:smt038
tigerman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigerman »

posts 1-24 are classed as a new member then posts 25-49 are classed as tiger cub
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

You are correct. I have edited the main post.
Demelza - another Mother
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

your excellent and most informative bit on technical forum

Post by APJones »

very good . the bit I was looking for was the last but one paragraph

OTH I have joined the supporters site twice before. I've been a fan for a lot of years and a club member for the the last season (now with my family as members) However I can't use my first membership on the supporters forum because I can't remember both the email account or password. So oopandunder is dead to me and the 2nd username is gone also, but it was clever.
Might I suggest therefore that to tidy the site up a bit any members profile if it hasn't been activated or used for say 6 months since joining, then email them at their last known email address and politely kick em off or ask them to confirm that they want to stay on.
I guess there are a great number of people like me who have joined and forgot how to access the site.
Look how many members have zero contributions.
Alan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

It could be done, but it would take ages - with 4000+ users going through each one to see if they'd posted, when they'd last posted, emailing them etc (assuming their email hadn't changed) would be prohibitively time consuming.

Also some people do join and lurk for some time without actually posting, then suddenly decide to jump in at the deep end ;o)

Can't speak for Iain of course, but as we're both voluntary unpaid Moderators and not employed by the Club - and we do this in our own time - I simply wouldn't have the time to do it.
Demelza - another Mother
andy182
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by andy182 »

there is a way to do it using php as I did it when I had my own forum. Cant remember how though without looking at all the admin stuff that goes with it and if it is only available on the newer versions of the software.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

It was just a suggestion, I'm sure it could be done via the webmasters software - automatically.
I'm sure that there are a lot of duplicate/redundant or moribund forum members that could be removed tho
Rgds
Alan
however - I have another question pls see new thread

All you forum moderators do a good thankless job, well done and keep up the good work, heres my thanks.
APJos and pit15
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Please remember though that the Moderators are here to moderate the board, we don't have ability to change what's on various pages ourselves, most things have to be reported to the club or admin who deal with them when able.
Demelza - another Mother
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

My reply above doesn't look like I mean it,

But really , lots of thanks to the moderators.
And to the guys sorting out the H Cup ticket debacle.

It is a thankless task (I've done it ) and I agree it is the webmasters job to ensure things run smoothly on the site.

So getting rid of the unused members names, after sending them an email would free up space and names that new members could use.
Cheers
APJos and pit15
Lily Tigrinum
Tiger Cub

Post by Lily Tigrinum »

I keep getting double posts, I think it is happening after I leave the computer for a while and then try to refresh using my browser keys. Is it a software glitch? :o?
Desdemona, designer of the Cosmic Muffin

...every Mother needs an Older Brother
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

it may be a glitch, there are other users who often find their posts show up twice. It's not a big problem though and it comes and goes, one of the Moderators will remove duplicates when we check the forums.
Demelza - another Mother
SaltyJackTar
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: FAQs & information re avatars, titles & signatures

Post by SaltyJackTar »

Thank you Rizzo for the useful information. Can now understand how "promotion" and an avatar is gained. Don't feel so bad about being a new kid on the block now!! :smt041