When will we see the first team next season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

When will we see the first team next season

Post by Ian Cant »

With South Africa touring here in the Autumn and with so many of our players in the England squad when are we likely to the players who played in the Gallagher Premiership!
Thank goodness we won the thing this last season as the next one will be a huge test of a squad with so many players missing for long periods!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: When will we see the first team next season

Post by sapajo »

I reckon December time post autumn internationals
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:42 pm With South Africa touring here in the Autumn and with so many of our players in the England squad when are we likely to the players who played in the Gallagher Premiership!
Thank goodness we won the thing this last season as the next one will be a huge test of a squad with so many players missing for long periods!
Will the Autumn be any different to this season?

This season we lost
Genge
Steward
Youngs
Dolly
Martin
Scott
Weise
Moroni
Montoya

Next Season we stand to lose

Montoya
Heyes
Chessum
Reffell
Weise
Youngs
Pollard
Steward
As well as potentially JVP, Nadolo, Kini, Porter or Kelly, Watson as possibles

So best case we'll lose one less than this season although the worst case could be a lot worse
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Presumably the first 2 ERCC rounds in December will be the earliest we'll likely see close to full whack?

1.Cronin 2.Montoya 3.Cole 4.Chessum 5.Green 6.Hanro 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Youngs 10.Pollard 11.Potter 12.Kelly 13.Porter 14.Watson 15.Steward

16.Clare 17.Nephi 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Martin 21.JvP 22.Burns 23.Scott

Quibbles about selection such as Cole or Heyes starting, Youngs or JvP starting, Henderson squeezing back in, etc those players could all theoretically be available for the first European games.

Possibly too soon for Dolly but no way to really know with the clubs understandable injury policy.

With van Staden moving on there might be a back row to add to that...
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Last season when we beat Saints at Franklin’s we had Weise, Ford, Staden, all playing for us which made a huge difference though of course Staden picked up his concussion in that game. I was at the end it happened a feared it would be a particularly serious one.
I really do hope we can pull through the Autumn period to be in or close to the top 4!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ian Cant wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:20 pm Last season when we beat Saints at Franklin’s we had Weise, Ford, Staden, all playing for us which made a huge difference though of course Staden picked up his concussion in that game. I was at the end it happened a feared it would be a particularly serious one.
I really do hope we can pull through the Autumn period to be in or close to the top 4!
Surely it was at Bristol on Boxing Day?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

LE18 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:13 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:20 pm Last season when we beat Saints at Franklin’s we had Weise, Ford, Staden, all playing for us which made a huge difference though of course Staden picked up his concussion in that game. I was at the end it happened a feared it would be a particularly serious one.
Surely it was at Bristol on Boxing Day?
Yup, it was in the Brizzle game
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:56 pm Presumably the first 2 ERCC rounds in December will be the earliest we'll likely see close to full whack?
Last season we had 3-4 weeks before the Autumn internationals with the SH players (Motoya, MVS, Wiese) back. The Rugby Championship finishes a week earlier this year too in September, rather than the first weekend in October.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Likely callups: Montoya, Heyes, Chessum, Reffell, Wiese, Youngs, JvP, Pollard, Watson, Steward
Possible: Leatigaga, Porter, Nadolo, Kini, Saumaki

1.Cronin 2.Clare 3.Cole 4.Wells 5.Green 6.Martin 7.Cracknell 8.Hanro
9.Wigglesworth 10.Burns 11.Potter 12.Kelly 13.Scott 14.Ashton 15.Kini/Hegarty/Simmons/Signing

16.TCD 17.Whitcombe 18.Hurd 19.Snyman 20.Jansen 21.Edwards 22.Gopperth 23.Nadolo

It's still a very decent potential side during the AIs.

Kelly is a possibility for England if he picks up exactly where he left off but with Gopperth, Scott and Cokanasiga there is good 12 cover. Realistically I think 2 of Kelly, Porter and Scott should be available during the Autumn. I'd say there's a decent chance of Heyes, JvP, Kelly and Porter all being around the squads but several released back for the weekend for instance.

Hooker's a bit thin if Dolly is still out but it was looking very thin at the start of this season and look at where Dolly is now!

15 in the above hypothetical is why I'd be very happy with a Jason Woodward/Rob Miller/Mike Brown/Ahsee Tuala type signing at fullback given Steward is a nailed on callup for the AIs and 6N.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:25 pm
ABClub wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:56 pm Presumably the first 2 ERCC rounds in December will be the earliest we'll likely see close to full whack?
Last season we had 3-4 weeks before the Autumn internationals with the SH players (Motoya, MVS, Wiese) back. The Rugby Championship finishes a week earlier this year too in September, rather than the first weekend in October.
Might some of our England players be on their rest period then this season though?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Last test 16th July, so assuming they are "resting" after full time, they should be free to play in R3 of the Premiership (24/25 Sep) unless there's a Friday night fixture!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:29 pm Last test 16th July, so assuming they are "resting" after full time, they should be free to play in R3 of the Premiership (24/25 Sep) unless there's a Friday night fixture!
Fair, hopefully the case!

Some England players who didn't play many minutes for the Lions got dispensation to return earlier as well it's worth noting. So if Heyes, Chessum, JvP and Porter play exclusively from the bench that might be the case for instance.

I'm very much hoping that Heyes and Chessum in particular get starts over the series though.

Steward will need a decent rest with how much rugby he's played so no qualms there whatsoever. Largely that's why I'm keen to take a chance on an experienced full back signing.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:37 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:29 pm Last test 16th July, so assuming they are "resting" after full time, they should be free to play in R3 of the Premiership (24/25 Sep) unless there's a Friday night fixture!
Fair, hopefully the case!

Some England players who didn't play many minutes for the Lions got dispensation to return earlier as well it's worth noting. So if Heyes, Chessum, JvP and Porter play exclusively from the bench that might be the case for instance.

I'm very much hoping that Heyes and Chessum in particular get starts over the series though.

Steward will need a decent rest with how much rugby he's played so no qualms there whatsoever. Largely that's why I'm keen to take a chance on an experienced full back signing.
This aged well! :smt003

Steward will deserve a full break. Hopefully as you say Heyes and Chessum will get starts.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Yes Van Staden picked up his second concussion at Bristol and was very similar in how bad it was to the Saints one. As with Denton, it’s the severity of them in quick succession that is so worrying for any player.
It’s all academic now and as long as he is ok to lead a normal life that is the priority.
Great player: too short a career.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

What I would say is that players like Gopperth, Burns and Wigglesworth will be worth their weight in gold during these periods. With a huge number of players likely to be away for a big chunk of the season having Wigglesworth at 9, Burns at 10 with Gopperth as cover on the bench for both centre and FH is incredible strength in depth for such key positions. Very clever signings. It was only a few seasons ago we were fielding the likes of Joe Ford & Hardwick or Reid & McPhillips as FH options during these International windows. Nothing against those players but I think the Burns & Gopperth combo is huge step up.

Add in to that the huge amount of game time that some of our "squad players" got this season and I think we will be in good shape :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!