Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Post by Offside »

Seems like Eddie is using this like a Saxons tour. At some stage there needs to be a mechanism to test new combinations of young players who can emerge at this level but there seems to be first team and media must win or nothing currently. If we do not care who wins that is fine but it risks people not paying to watch and it is not money over sport or pride for the at matter.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:36 am Glad to see JVP and Porter starting, two players in prime form.

As for Underhill he is the complete opposite and will be a weak link.

Surely after his intro Arundell is a must to start, put the wind up the Aussies when he came on and showed his power and pace is a problem and tough to counter, Freeman for me will just get bullied and not be on the Aussie concern radar.

I think the key change needed to be the Farrell/Smith axis, it does not work but stubborn EJ persists, in the end it will be his downfall and he thinks he is always right and he will have to pushed before he walks the plank.

Think Aussies will take control early doors and win by 7+.
You think the work horse trojan Underhill is a weak link? Really?
I also hate to say it as he is a Saint, Freeman is class and IMO just as good a fullback as Freddie
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Australia will still carry hard into Smith to make the yards and get us on our heels, which is where the penalties occur, trying to slow the ball down, getting off the line too quickly etc. I do feel sorry for the lads who have come in or who are on the bench, international rugby is a tough gig and you have to adapt pretty quickly - it's sink or swim sadly. Arundell looks great going forward, but I'd question on the few occasions I've seen him, his defensive abilities, kicking game etc at the very top level. The kicking game especially is a key element, which is why Nowell and May have pretty much been his first choice, when fit. You got the pace on one wing and the busier guy on the other wing, looking for work, carrying and using physicality. The back line getting up to speed in a short space of time is a tricky one. Underhill will work his socks off but he's injury prone and a penalty magnet. I'd like to have seen Willis in there.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:13 am
baz1664 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:36 am Glad to see JVP and Porter starting, two players in prime form.

Surely after his intro Arundell is a must to start, put the wind up the Aussies when he came on and showed his power and pace is a problem and tough to counter, Freeman for me will just get bullied and not be on the Aussie concern radar.

I think the key change needed to be the Farrell/Smith axis, it does not work but stubborn EJ persists, in the end it will be his downfall and he thinks he is always right and he will have to pushed before he walks the plank.

I also hate to say it as he is a Saint, Freeman is class and IMO just as good a fullback as Freddie
Freddie is by far the best under the high ball I have seen. He is at least as good as any other English full back with perhaps the running / gas of Arundell. Freeman is good but as good? No.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Underhill has been awful in recent tests, has had a below par premiership season and someone who really shouldn’t be in this squad on form.

As for Freeman he is young, shown some talent in the prem but for me Arundell looks raw and ready to make a dent in the Aussie defence. Steward is a different class and has all the hallmarks of a world class 15!!

I hope EJ decisions prove me wrong but it feels this series has 3 zip written all over it.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:12 pm

Underhill has been awful in recent tests, has had a below par premiership season and someone who really shouldn’t be in this squad on form.

As for Freeman he is young, shown some talent in the prem but for me Arundell looks raw and ready to make a dent in the Aussie defence. Steward is a different class and has all the hallmarks of a world class 15!!

I hope EJ decisions prove me wrong but it feels this series has 3 zip written all over it.
we will have to agree to disagree on Underhill
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Is it just me who has concerns about a 6 2 bench with both back subs only able to cover one position...if Smith, Farrell or Porter go down we could be in trouble. It also means we won't bring on Arundell until relatively late. Really happy for Porter and JVP
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Downsouth wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:12 pm Is it just me who has concerns about a 6 2 bench with both back subs only able to cover one position...if Smith, Farrell or Porter go down we could be in trouble. It also means we won't bring on Arundell until relatively late. Really happy for Porter and JVP
He's taken a gamble and either Nowell, or possibly Freeman, would move to 13 with Faz or Porter moving in as required.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:12 pm
Arundell still defensively a bit of an unknown quantity at domestic level, let alone internationally. Freeman at least should guarantee defensive solidity until Arundell is let loose against tired defenders.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Downsouth wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:12 pm Is it just me who has concerns about a 6 2 bench with both back subs only able to cover one position...if Smith, Farrell or Porter go down we could be in trouble. It also means we won't bring on Arundell until relatively late. Really happy for Porter and JVP
I'm happy with the split on the bench, odds of two injuries in the backs are very low.

9 JVP/Care
10 Smith/Farrell
11/14 Nowell/Freeman/Steward/Arundell
12 Farrell/Porter
13 Porter/Nowell
15 Steward/Freeman/Arundell

So no matter where we have an injury we'll be able to cover it. Nowell for example has started at 13 more times than Porter.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I hate the 6/2 split, just think it narrows down your options too much. Don’t know why, but it always feels negative to me.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:48 pm
I'm happy with the split on the bench, odds of two injuries in the backs are very low.

9 JVP/Care
10 Smith/Farrell
11/14 Nowell/Freeman/Steward/Arundell
12 Farrell/Porter
13 Porter/Nowell
15 Steward/Freeman/Arundell

So no matter where we have an injury we'll be able to cover it. Nowell for example has started at 13 more times than Porter.
Well that's jinxed it :smt005

Care could always drop into the wing if there's a real need. Eddie has also talked about Freeman covering 13 previously.

I get the 6/2 bench split, Australia were very good at the breakdown last weekend. Should allow our backrow to go hard and empty the tank, roll on the replacements and keep the intensity high. Should be some good impact off the bench.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Don't think the balance on the bench is too much of a concern. Getting Smith + Farrell to work is more significant, as is JVP having a good game. TBH if this was always the plan for game 2, I'd have liked to see him get more playing time in game 1. I am also wondering what has become of Randall?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:07 am I hate the 6/2 split, just think it narrows down your options too much. Don’t know why, but it always feels negative to me.
Not if the options are in the 23 anyway, in this case with every back bar JVP, Care and Smith recognised in at least 2 positions. Obviously fitness isn't a concern, so he considers back row flexibility and versatility more important.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Offside wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:54 am Seems like Eddie is using this like a Saxons tour.
He has no choice really, does he?