Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Aus v England - 09th July 2022 - Team to save Eddies job!

Post by Soggypitch »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:12 pm Seems that Curry will be out of the second test because of HIA. Surely Jones has to roll the dice and change things up.

Genge (c) LCD Stuart
Itoje Lawes
Willis Vunipola Ludlam
Care Farrell
Porter Marchant
May Steward Nowell

Vunipola George Heyes Chessum Underhill JVP Smith Aurendell
I agree with that team and 23. England need a more pragmatic game plan which Farrell can deliver, and we know Porter is solid in defence and can break the line in attack. The Aussie 12 is a big threat, Porter will help to negate that.
Nowell deserves to keep his place, he was constantly looking for work, unlike big Joe who just doesn't get involved enough. BV was doing all the heavy carrying, surely Joe could have used his own considerable physique to have shared some of that load?
Soggypitch
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Tom Curry is to return to England after withdrawing form the tour with concussion.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Ludlam deserves to start, he was everywhere, very busy and physical, doesn't stop. The Farrell/Smith thing is being made a massive thing now. I say keep it like it is and see how it goes with another weeks' training. I can see what they're trying to do, Farrell at first receiver with Smith exploiting the space out wide, but you need to dent holes to tie in the defence, which we were doing but just couldn't find the gaps. I haven't watched it again so it's difficult to say whether the space was there and we just didn't execute properly or whether it was simply good defence by Australia - I mean, it's not all about bad England play I'm sure. There were some promising bits in there, Stuart had his best game in an England shirt, Nowell was busy, Ludlam as many have mentioned. Arundell....took his try well, although two Australians got in each other's way and couldn't tackle him, but the swerve to avoid the last defender was class. I'm inclined to say start him but I'm always wary that he'll get a battering and his confidence will go - but if you don't try these things I guess - I don't think his defence is that great yet and these players tend to burst onto the scene and then defences work them out and they have to improvise, that's when you see how good players are. How many times have you seen someone carving it up when they start out in rugby, and then are never seen again ? Quite a few.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

If Smith is to continue at 10 in future times I would like to see a back line of
Randall/JVP, Smith, Arundell, Porter, Marchant, Malins, Steward.

Speed out side and a back 3 that can all play 15.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:41 pm If Smith is to continue at 10 in future times I would like to see a back line of

Given IMO Porter is comfortably a better 13 than a 12, Kelly for me is the answer at 12

I'd go a longer term plan

JVP
Smith
Arundell
Kelly
Marchant
Freeman
Steward

Porter in the 22/23 shirt
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:48 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:41 pm If Smith is to continue at 10 in future times I would like to see a back line of

Given IMO Porter is comfortably a better 13 than a 12, Kelly for me is the answer at 12

JVP
Smith
Arundell
Kelly
Marchant
Freeman
Steward

But isn't Kelly still injured and recuperating here in England having played 3 minutes v Saints.? And the next game is on Saturday in Australia :smt017 Wellies are being worn!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Bge3095 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:41 pm From what i see englands problem in the backs can be sorted with a ten playing ten and full time 12/13s not shoehorning like EJ has been doing.
full time 12/13s If that is the case there is no room for Porter then
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

EJ said after the game that he is persisting with the "two ball-players" system. So Smith and Farrell both start.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:41 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:09 pm Best all round 10 in the premiership is Farrell so play him there. If Jones is experimenting then use Smith as a finisher we keep being told it’s a 23 man game.
He won’t be next year when Tigers have Pollard at 10, if he is the best then why doesn’t his second dad EJ play him at 10, squeezing him in at centre just weakens Englands poor attack even more. It’s clear EJ will hug him and slot him in whenever he is fit, what form he is in, that just shows why EJ won’t move English rugby forward!!
South Africa don't have a 10 and Pollard still. can't get in the squad, he can't even get a start in France
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wormus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:43 pm

JVP
Smith
Arundell
Kelly
Marchant
Freeman
Steward

But isn't Kelly still injured and recuperating here in England having played 3 minutes v Saints.? And the next game is on Saturday in Australia :smt017 Wellies are being worn!
Given Malins was listed as one of the team and he's not in the Australia squad I quoted against I assumed it was more of a longer term plan rather than for Saturday...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:53 pm
baz1664 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:41 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:09 pm Best all round 10 in the premiership is Farrell so play him there. If Jones is experimenting then use Smith as a finisher we keep being told it’s a 23 man game.
He won’t be next year when Tigers have Pollard at 10, if he is the best then why doesn’t his second dad EJ play him at 10, squeezing him in at centre just weakens Englands poor attack even more. It’s clear EJ will hug him and slot him in whenever he is fit, what form he is in, that just shows why EJ won’t move English rugby forward!!
South Africa don't have a 10 and Pollard still. can't get in the squad, he can't even get a start in France
Pollard was unavailable to play last Saturday due to time off post the top 14 final. I assume he will start the next game, he is in the squad though.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:02 pm
wormus wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:43 pm

JVP
Smith
Arundell
Kelly
Marchant
Freeman
Steward

Given Malins was listed as one of the team and he's not in the Australia squad I quoted against I assumed it was more of a longer term plan rather than for Saturday...
I really rate Freeman. Feel he could be a great option at 14 and replace Nowell in the squad, who to be fair played alright against Australia. But we need some speedsters out wide.
Bge3095

Post by Bge3095 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:45 pm
Bge3095 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:41 pm From what i see englands problem in the backs can be sorted with a ten playing ten and full time 12/13s not shoehorning like EJ has been doing.
full time 12/13s If that is the case there is no room for Porter then
Would you not say Porters strongest position is 13?
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:46 pm EJ said after the game that he is persisting with the "two ball-players" system. So Smith and Farrell both start.
I still think this is a bit muddled, especially as Farrell (and I'm not a Farrell-hater by any stretch) isn't really a ball player. If he is going with this then the team's line speed needs to be a lot quicker and they need to be even more aggressive at the breakdown to give these two the chance to play. In the last game, Smith stood deep but still seemed to get closed down pretty quickly. I'd say Underhill would be a decent pick in that regard.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugby streaming.

For a few months now, the streaming site vkrugbyonsofa worked well, but it appears to work no longer, and so I couldn't watch any games last weekend.
Does anyone have any suggestions for other streams?
Thanks!
Semper in excretia