Leavers - any news?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Leavers - any news?

Post by GB72 »

Totally agree, all we can do is wish him the best and hope that his injuries are career changing and not life changing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Has he had concussion/injury troubles previously?
21/22 8 games
20/21 12 games
19/20 10 games
18/19 10 games
17/18 18 games
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Marco had a nasty concussion in Jan 2020
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:52 pm Marco had a nasty concussion in Jan 2020
Thanks RB 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:53 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:52 pm Marco had a nasty concussion in Jan 2020
Thanks RB 👍
Only takes one, good luck to the bloke being symptom free in "ordinary" life would be a plus it can't be much fun dealing with it away from your family.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: “Players who may leave at some point but we’re not quite sure when” ?

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

As they're both rumoured to be going to Aus they're probably leaving November/December time to coincide with the start of their season, guessing we're hoping to keep them as cover for the AIs
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I thought MVS was said to be about ready for the play offs but they had decided to give him the summer rather than rush him back.

So why was he released? Is he retiring? Was it mutually convenient, perhaps family not settled in the UK?

A chunk of salary cap to spend? Or had we already factored that in?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:54 pm I thought MVS was said to be about ready for the play offs but they had decided to give him the summer rather than rush him back.

So why was he released? Is he retiring? Was it mutually convenient, perhaps family not settled in the UK?

That never came from the club more what supporters were being told by 3rd parties.
Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t set foot on a rugby pitch again, and even if it’s another 6 months no advantage to him staying at the club.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:54 pm I thought MVS was said to be about ready for the play offs but they had decided to give him the summer rather than rush him back.

There's a tiered recovery system, he might have been progressing and then had a setback. It's his first season abroad, if it's going to take a long time to get back then he might be more comfortable recovering back home in SA and then going from there. He won't be lacking suitors should he recover, I certainly hope he does.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Given the departure of MVS and if we have any spare cap left I wonder if it might be worth enquiring about Polledri.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:41 pm Given the departure of MVS and if we have any spare cap left I wonder if it might be worth enquiring about Polledri.
Love the guy when fit, but he's a real gamble, doubt we'll be interested.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:58 pm
wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:41 pm Given the departure of MVS and if we have any spare cap left I wonder if it might be worth enquiring about Polledri.
Unless we feel with Reffell and Ilione plus versatility options that we have cover and can risk a performance based contract. It would have to be better than what Glaws has on the table with him.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:37 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:58 pm
Unless we feel with Reffell and Ilione plus versatility options that we have cover and can risk a performance based contract. It would have to be better than what Glaws has on the table with him.
Personally think he's signed already too, Glaws have released their leavers list and he wasn't on it so suspect he's signed & sealed at Glaws
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:30 pm Real shame about MVS though I don’t think anyone can be 100% surprised. Hope he regains full health and if that means no more rugby so be it.
Very sad loss for Tigers, but so reminiscent of the David Denton injury at Twickenham that led to his retirement.
I hope MVS recovers and he takes good advise before pulling his boots on again.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

You do have to be concerned if he returns to playing.

The impact didn’t seem huge but the effect on him was. You see this in boxers: blows that didn’t seem to concern the fighter early in their career seem to knock them out. Pro boxers in Britain have annual head scans and any signs of change indicating damage/concern and their licence is revoked for their own protection. We have head injury protocols in rugby but there is a need to protect players from their own bravery. A player who has taken this long to recover from concussion perhaps should have the decision over their future playing career considered by an independent team of assessors (Independent of player and employer) for their own long term health?