Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: ERC Champions cup draw

Post by Scott1 »

Oh I like Ulster too!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I might be on my own but the format of two pools just doesn’t appeal. Last year’s attendance figures were some of the worst witnessed probably because of taking away the 4 teams in a group with top guaranteed qualification.
Maybe it’s just having to get used to this new way of doing things. Time will tell.
Personally I’d just take another Gallagher Premiership next season as I don’t think any Premiership Squad stands much chance of glory in Europe with the salary cap reduction.
2023-24 might be different!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:33 pm I might be on my own but the format of two pools just doesn’t appeal. Last year’s attendance figures were some of the worst witnessed probably because of taking away the 4 teams in a group with top guaranteed qualification.
Maybe it’s just having to get used to this new way of doing things. Time will tell.
Personally I’d just take another Gallagher Premiership next season as I don’t think any Premiership Squad stands much chance of glory in Europe with the salary cap reduction.
2023-24 might be different!!
You're not no your own! Give me groups of 4 any day,plus now there's no whipping boys it would make the highest second place runners up qualification interesting too
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Oh dear - a shark in each pool - reminds me of Thunderball.

I really don’t like this format and especially the excessive travel demands by including Saffers. I doubt I’ll renew my BTSport sub.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

2022/23 HEINEKEN CHAMPIONS CUP

POOL A (with opponents in brackets)
Castres Olympique (Exeter Chiefs, Edinburgh Rugby)
Saracens (Lyon, Edinburgh Rugby)
Bulls (Exeter Chiefs, Lyon)
Union Bordeaux-Bègles (Gloucester Rugby, Sharks)
Harlequins (Racing 92, Sharks)
Leinster Rugby (Racing 92, Gloucester Rugby)
Racing 92 (Harlequins, Leinster Rugby)
Gloucester Rugby (Union Bordeaux-Bègles, Leinster Rugby)
Sharks (Union Bordeaux-Bègles, Harlequins)
Lyon (Saracens, Bulls)
Exeter Chiefs (Castres Olympique, Bulls)
Edinburgh Rugby (Castres Olympique, Saracens)

POOL B (with opponents in brackets)
Montpellier Hérault Rugby (London Irish, Ospreys)
Leicester Tigers (ASM Clermont Auvergne, Ospreys)
Stormers (ASM Clermont Auvergne, London Irish)
Stade Toulousain (Sale Sharks, Munster Rugby)
Northampton Saints (Stade Rochelais, Munster Rugby)
Ulster Rugby (Stade Rochelais, Sale Sharks)
Stade Rochelais (Northampton Saints, Ulster Rugby)
Sale Sharks (Stade Toulousain, Ulster Rugby)
Munster Rugby (Stade Toulousain, Northampton Saints)
ASM Clermont Auvergne (Leicester Tigers, Stormers)
London Irish (Montpellier Hérault Rugby, Stormers)
Ospreys (Montpellier Hérault Rugby, Leicester Tigers)
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

How it works

The Champions Cup is the top-tier competition for clubs from England's Premiership, France's Top 14 and the United Rugby Championship, in which sides from Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Wales and South Africa compete.

The 2022-23 Champions and Challenge Cup season will be played over eight weekends, with four rounds of matches in the pool stage and the opening round of fixtures in both competitions taking place on the weekend of 9-11 December.

In the new format, each team has been drawn to face two opponents, home and away. However, those two opponents do not in turn face each other in a closed mini-league of three; they have their own two teams to face. So, in the draw set out below, Castres will play Exeter and Edinburgh home and away, but Exeter will face Castres and Bulls, Bulls will face Exeter and Lyon, and so on.

The organiser European Professional Club Rugby sets out the rationale for which sides are drawn together here.

At the end of the four rounds of pool games, the top eight teams in each pool progress to a last-16 stage, followed by quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals - which will be played at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin - the Challenge Cup decider on Friday 19 May and the Champions Cup final the following day.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So it’s exactly the same as last season bar only a one legged second round then
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not a jock wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 pm Oh dear - a shark in each pool - reminds me of Thunderball.

I really don’t like this format and especially the excessive travel demands by including Saffers. I doubt I’ll renew my BTSport sub.
Why,do you have to travel to South Africa to pay your BT bill then? 😭
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:19 pm So it’s exactly the same as last season bar only a one legged second round then
I don't know why they changed it for this year I thought that was one of the more interesting aspects of the comp last year.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:22 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:19 pm So it’s exactly the same as last season bar only a one legged second round then
I don't know why they changed it for this year I thought that was one of the more interesting aspects of the comp last year.
Yes,I liked the 2 legs,it just about helped me put up with the ridiculous format.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Agreed :smt023
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m only assuming it’s a token effort at cutting the number of games being played. You are right though it added a certain element of jeopardy to that final weekend
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I would've gone 6 groups of 4 ,you play 3 teams home and away. Do away with second round and 6 group winners and 2 best runners up go straight into QF. One more game than this year if you get to the final but the same as last. Simples!
mikeeboy89

Post by mikeeboy89 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:19 pm
wigworth wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:17 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:15 pm

Thought we got Ospreys? 🤔
We did but they play a different team to who we play.
So they havnt got Ospreys then lol,is there a link to who play who please? It's a ridiculous format and I don't understand why we can't have groups of 4 like the good old days!

Lol Stormers got Irish and Clermont