2022/23 wish list

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

2022/23 wish list

Post by tigerburnie »

I know the dust has barely settled and there are summer tours, but I guess after a couple of weeks off for a holiday, the squad will be back at work soon. Pre season will be vital as we said good bye to a couple of key players and their replacements will need time to bed in,1 and 10 not only a couple key positions, but a couple of leaders gone.
I'm excited to see the new squad though, with some of our own academy lads stepping up and a sprinkling of astute signings coming in, bringing a wealth of experience with them. There was a day when I would have asked the coaches some awkward questions about having players considered to be past their use by date, but boy has this past season proved me so wrong, that blend of yoof and experience, it really did work and looks set to continue in the coming season.
Far too early to make any predictions, we still await confirmation as to who is still with us next season, but all our home games won was a huge lift for the squad and the fans, if that can continue, anything else would be a bonus. Welford Road rocking to Smoke on the water and the fans singing "take me home" in front of a winning side, purrrrrrfect.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: 2022/23 wish list

Post by ay2oh »

Yes it’s difficult to assess whether our squad will be stronger or not next season. We will undoubtedly miss Genge, Ford and Moroni but Cronin., Pollard and Watson are good players. Also the youngsters will have a year more experience and growth and the leadership of Gopperth will be helpful.
Personally I would be happy with top four and winning all of our home games.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I’m not totally au fait with all clubs squads for next season, but from what I’ve seen we are just about the only club who’s squad will at the very least not be any weaker next season. Not only because we have made some classy signings, but also the extra seasons experience that last seasons crop of excellent youngsters will have.
For the first time in a really long while I’m really looking forward to the start of the season

I think Freddie mentioned that they are back for pre season around July 8th
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Win the home games, develop a better/easier on the eye attacking game, more trust in the younger players & better communication from the club.

This upcoming season will for me show more about our coaching team than last.

Consistency & better base line of officiating & a transparent & even disciplinary process.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Our squad should be stronger next season with the younger players getting more playing experience, my worry is that a lot of our squad will be out of contract at the end of next season and if we carry on our form and finish in the top four, will these players and agents be looking for contract extensions along with salary increases.
With the decreased salary cap will we be able to keep a lot of our rising stars and stay within the cap, I hope we are not tempted to behave like we did by manipulating the cap in previous seasons.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I guess we could add to the wish a list of who we might think will be club captain? I think Hanro is the sort of guy I would go for.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

When renegotiating contracts that finish at the end of next season we could offer a small increase in the first year with a larger rise the following two years when the cap goes back up.
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:08 pm When renegotiating contracts that finish at the end of next season we could offer a small increase in the first year with a larger rise the following two years when the cap goes back up.
I believe that the value of contracts is effectively flat lined and an average taken for the purposes of the salary cap. Otherwise you'd arrange for your top three players to sign three year deals with one year in the three being worth most of the contract and then rotate them in the marquee spot etc.

What we might see are short term deals with renewals then taking place ahead of the cap increase. Rumours that Watson has signed a one year deal suggest that's probably the situation he's in.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:03 pm I guess we could add to the wish a list of who we might think will be club captain? I think Hanro is the sort of guy I would go for.
Don’t really see any alternative to Hanro especially as he was official vc last season. That being said who would have picked Genge as captain
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Pretty sure you cannot rotate existing players in and out of the marquee slot, only new players from outside the league can be a big tent signing.
Sure the players are aware there is a large pool of unemployed players just now and that things may well improve in the near future, I think the days of mercenaries demanding unsustainable salaries are now behind us.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:20 pm I’m not totally au fait with all clubs squads for next season, but from what I’ve seen we are just about the only club who’s squad will at the very least not be any weaker next season. Not only because we have made some classy signings, but also the extra seasons experience that last seasons crop of excellent youngsters will have.
For the first time in a really long while I’m really looking forward to the start of the season

I think Freddie mentioned that they are back for pre season around July 8th
I think the fact we went through the pain immediately, lost 5 players doing it, during the standoff. So we negotiated all senior players 25% down then. That meant our salary balance was better going into the actual reduction. Think it was us and Sale as the primary ones who did it then.

I actually think next year may be the tricky one the likes of JVP, Martin & Steward are all due for renewals, plus possibly Henderson and Chessum. That's a lot of talent who may well be deserving of pay rises, so hopefully we can juggle that going forwards.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

To get a full season out of MVS!.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Some of the new additions will be good to see, but for me it’ll the evolution through maturity of the current squad, both individually and also as a team that I’m looking forward to most.
Can Whitcombe kick on and cement his part in the matchday squad, he’s already showing to be a very capable scrummager, and will only improve. Can Heyes oust Cole from the starting lineup, he was absolutely immense when Cole was injured. With some added bulk can Chessum and the returning Henderson step up as genuine starters bringing real size and athleticism to the second row. Can Jansen and Illone step up to be natural seamless replacements for Wiese, MVS and Reffell during international periods. Can JVP step up and place more pressure on Youngs with his urgency around the breakdown. With the additional experience under their belt, can the likes of Kelly, Porter, Potter & Steward combine to provide us with a bit more dynamic attack. I feel we have been very functional, but still at times lack absolute ruthless cutting edge. I get that, we are still on a path, and building the belief in our execution has to come first before we can rally cut loose.
I think all of the above is generally feasible.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think we did a lot of winning ugly, those tight games that got away from us the season before, I would hope for more of the "evolution" of the squad and less of the "revolution" that failed badly by trying to buy a team. We have some exciting mature players and almost as many exciting younger players and in key positions too, some may fall by the wayside and some will no doubt grow into top players, not a position we have been in for a while, the future is looking quite exciting.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

“…quite exciting”
now that’s an understatement !! 🤣