SUMMER RUGBY INTERNATIONALS 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: SUMMER RUGBY INTERNATIONALS 2022

Post by Rugbygramps »

It’s a great question WW. The question is can the players survive the negative publicity in the mean time.
I can’t see it happening but he has got everything in place for next season in terms of training time and player releases.

For me he needs to make a decision on the captaincy Lawes just doesn’t give off the right aura, the decision needs to be made to either go back to Farrell or go new blood with Genge or Itoje.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Before the match I thought this is the tour for Eddie to redeem himself and get England back on track. First 20 minutes we looked good and score line probably doesn’t reflect how the match went. But at the end of the day we managed to not win. Final nail in the coffin?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Well, perhaps it was a case of too many 10s and too many captains to be effective? I was working and only caught some of the game.
I did think some of the bench coming on looked good.
The fact that this comes at the end of a hard and long domestic season, means some folk in that England team probably could do with a bit of a rest TBH.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:27 pm Before the match I thought this is the tour for Eddie to redeem himself and get England back on track. First 20 minutes we looked good and score line probably doesn’t reflect how the match went. But at the end of the day we managed to not win. Final nail in the coffin?
If the series is lost, then the hammer will be hovering over the final nail.
I didn't see the match and hope to catch the highlights somewhere (suggestions?), but from what little I've read, is there a question now about Lawes as captain? If so, step forward Ellis Genge.
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:40 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:27 pm Before the match I thought this is the tour for Eddie to redeem himself and get England back on track. First 20 minutes we looked good and score line probably doesn’t reflect how the match went. But at the end of the day we managed to not win. Final nail in the coffin?
I didn't see the match and hope to catch the highlights somewhere (suggestions?), but from what little I've read, is there a question now about Lawes as captain? If so, step forward Ellis Genge.
YouTube I would suggest for highlights although they won’t give the full picture
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:18 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:09 pm
wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:06 pm

He has made that abundantly clear and has even outright said it, there is no use getting worked up as nothing is going to change till after the world cup.
Yeah,jelly spined RFU have given him the run of the place and are letting him run roughshod. They are an embarrassment too,pigs with their noses in the trough. Free gratis!
What if he wins the world cup?
Then he's a hero of course lol. But we can't go on what ifs can we? You have to go on current form and you have to look at past results,style of play etc and its a fact that hes taking us backwards,badly! He's always had a very short shelf life his whole career,and now he's way past his!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Postiger2 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:20 pm If the RFU aren't going to ditch Eddie, they need to at least be honest about the rest of the coaching staff. The attack has been woeful under Martin Gleeson
Jones turnover of staff is ridiculous though! How can players get settled when new ideas are coming in every 5 minutes?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hopefully 🤞
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:40 pm Well, perhaps it was a case of too many 10s and too many captains to be effective? I was working and only caught some of the game.
I did think some of the bench coming on looked good.
The fact that this comes at the end of a hard and long domestic season, means some folk in that England team probably could do with a bit of a rest TBH.
Super Rugby has not long finished either!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:40 pm
Not a question,just Farrell poking his oar in all the time! There were also 2 occasions where the commentators asked what is Farrell going to do here!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:44 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Yeah,jelly spined RFU have given him the run of the place and are letting him run roughshod. They are an embarrassment too,pigs with their noses in the trough. Free gratis!
Then he's a hero of course lol. But we can't go on what ifs can we? You have to go on current form and you have to look at past results,style of play etc and its a fact that hes taking us backwards,badly! He's always had a very short shelf life his whole career,and now he's way past his!
As I have said he is not going anywhere till after the world cup, I also think that there is a very good chance that England end up winning this series which changes the complexion quite a bit. For me the big tell will be the autumn internationals with NZ and SA coming to Twickenham, I think that will be when we see this England team at full bore in quasi world cup knock out mode.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:04 pm

As I have said he is not going anywhere till after the world cup, I also think that there is a very good chance that England end up winning this series which changes the complexion quite a bit. For me the big tell will be the autumn internationals with NZ and SA coming to Twickenham, I think that will be when we see this England team at full bore in quasi world cup knock out mode.
Should be in full bore now,the Northern and Southern Hemisphere leagues almost finished at the same time,not waiting until the SH players are smashed to bits after their domestic leagues,summer tours and then RC while ours are fresh!
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

Lots of clichés being wheeled out regarding Farrell, Jones, and England.

I thought Stuart showed up well in the carry, as did J Hill who also got a good lineout steal. The Marchant-Steward connection clicked a couple of times in the last few minutes too.

On the flip side, Itoje looked pretty slow. Our ball retention at the ruck and thus our execution was poor. But Farrell kicks his points and we clear out more effectively, and that would have been a different result.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

We were slow to commit to the rucks and in insufficient numbers. No change when it became clear the ref was happy for Australia to come round behind the rucks and stand stopping the support players/scrum half getting directly to the ball. Don’t wave you hands, run into them and force the ref to ping them as offside.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:36 pm
wigworth wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:04 pm

Should be in full bore now,the Northern and Southern Hemisphere leagues almost finished at the same time,not waiting until the SH players are smashed to bits after their domestic leagues,summer tours and then RC while ours are fresh!
Why? There is no great prize for beating Aus now. If you look at the world cup draw England will have 2 extremely hard matches in the semis and final, mostly likely having to play a combo of NZ, SA or France. Like the last world cup where he very specifically targeted the NZ game what I would expect is that in the autumn is to look for odd moments of England exploiting areas where they think these teams are vulnerable, they won't occur all match and will only happen a few times but that will be the real test and then I would expect the same against France in the 6 nations.