Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:28 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:58 pm It seems unlikely that tigers will not replace MVS. They didn’t keep Robinson and we are light in that position. The club should have plenty of cap to play with.

Feel very sad for MVS and I hope he doesn’t have to retire. The number of games he has played at the age of 26 really surprised me. Heyes has played more in the front row and he is 21/22.
Even though the cap is reduced?
You’d think MVS would have been on a decent wedge that was included, that’s now freed up
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:09 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:45 pm

Who for?
Potter
Nadolo
Ashton
Saumaki
Porter
Murimurivalu
Wowzers! I was under the impression he was only the 4th to do it for an Ozzie club. Fancy spending all that time researching though just to prove or disprove a point,you're getting very touchy in your old age RB 😂
You literally asked me if Olowofela should’ve been given a chance.

And that’s my reply lol suggest you don’t read everything as being confrontational

I also just listed off the names of our wingers, if he was too get more chances one of those players would have to miss out really.
Just joshing RB,that just proves how good our wingers are 🤪
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:45 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:52 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:51 pm The fact there has not been a renewal suggests it might have been a 3 year deal I guess
Thanks,do you think he should’ve been given a chance when he came back from Oz? A hat trick in SR is no mean feat
Who for?
Potter
Nadolo
Ashton
Saumaki
Porter
Murimurivalu
Well, if Nadolo is off halfway through the season, or could actually be gone earlier still, although I would have expected him to be announced yesterday if that was the case and with the rumour about Hegerty; I could see Olowofela maybe getting a few caps in the Prem Rugby Cup.

Purely from a picking player by player, I had:

15. Steward, Murimurivalu, Simmons
14. Watson, Ashton, Browning.
11. Potter, Saumaki.

But of course any of our full backs can play on the wing, Watson would do a wonderful job at full back, Porter is also a wing option and Burns can do a job at full back. He will really have to fight to get into the squad, but the fact we've not paid to rip his contract up suggests we reckon he'll be some use if nothing else.

Would I prefer another youngster coming through? Yes. But if there isn't anyone, it's probably cheaper having Olowofela play out his final year than bring someone else in.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

When did Ashton score a hat trick in SR btw? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Taute announced his retirement
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:31 am Taute announced his retirement
All the best to him,shame about his injuries.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

With all the news that has kinda come out i still wonder if Martin is viewed as an out and out back rower with no look at Lock.

So far squad depth wise we have
5 front rows of
1. Cronin, 2. Montoya, 3. Cole
1. Whitcombe, 2. Dolly, 3. Heyes
1. Van Wyk, 2. Clare, 3. Leatigaga
1. Richardson, 2. Cowan-Dickie, 3. Hurd
1. Smith, 2. Vanes, 3. Hoyt
Pretty Happy with that don't really see much need for another prop unless the right one is about

Locks
4. O.Chessum, 5. Wells
4. Henderson, 5. Green
4. Snyman, 5. Manz
4. Carnduff, 5. L.Chessum
Pretty Happy, was worried about top line quality but Chessum and Henderson both have potential imo to match that.

Back Row
6. Liebenberg, 7. Reffell, 8. Wiese
6. Martin, 7. Cracknell, 8. Jansen
6. Ilione, 7. Odiase, 8. Owen
6. J.Manz, 7 _____, 8. Koroiyadi
Hmmmmm gone from pretty confident with the whole Back row to worrying about depth, it's such a brutal position usually never have everyone fit or available now both.

Wiese and Reffell now out for Internationals, Jansen IMO will shine especially with a full preseason he's going to be a tank. But it's just a case of numbers because this season we had Props, Hookers and Wingers playing flank. Murimurivalu maybe move full time into the back row haha

Half Backs
9. Youngs, 10. Pollard
9. JVP, 10. Burns
9. Wigglesworth, 10. Walsh
9. Edwards, 10. Meredith
Perfect IMO Gopperth covers as well but how many teams have 3 Internationally capped 9's and 2 Internationally capped 10's?

Centres
12. Kelly, 13. Porter
12. Gopperth, 13. Scott
12. Cokanasiga, 13. Cusick
12. Woodward, 13. Loose
Pretty happy generally, potentially see space for another centre

Back 3
11. Watson, 14. Potter, 15. Steward
11. Nadolo, 14. Ashton, 15. Hegarty
11. Saumaki, 14. Murimurivalu, 15. Simmons
11. Olowofela, 14. Browning

If Nadolo and Hegarty do go we 100% need another back 3 player IMO.

For me the holes
Back row x 2 (One being a front liner)
Centre x 1 (Could see someone older experienced coming in maybe a 13/Wing type player rather than a 12/13 type.
Back 3 x1 Potentially depending on things.

Prop if someone is about.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I was thinking about this yesterday and wondered what other people's thoughts are, if Reffell has signed a new long term contract would people rather the MVS cap space (assuming its fully available) was spent like for like on a 7 (Matera for example) or do we think it would be better to sign a solid backup 7 and use the difference elsewhere in the squad?
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:32 am With all the news that has kinda come out i still wonder if Martin is viewed as an out and out back rower with no look at Lock.

So far squad depth wise we have
5 front rows of
1. Cronin, 2. Montoya, 3. Cole
1. Whitcombe, 2. Dolly, 3. Heyes
1. Van Wyk, 2. Clare, 3. Leatigaga
1. Richardson, 2. Cowan-Dickie, 3. Hurd
1. Smith, 2. Vanes, 3. Hoyt
Pretty Happy with that don't really see much need for another prop unless the right one is about

Locks
4. O.Chessum, 5. Wells
4. Henderson, 5. Green
4. Snyman, 5. Manz
4. Carnduff, 5. L.Chessum
Pretty Happy, was worried about top line quality but Chessum and Henderson both have potential imo to match that.

Back Row
6. Liebenberg, 7. Reffell, 8. Wiese
6. Martin, 7. Cracknell, 8. Jansen
6. Ilione, 7. Odiase, 8. Owen
6. J.Manz, 7 _____, 8. Koroiyadi
Hmmmmm gone from pretty confident with the whole Back row to worrying about depth, it's such a brutal position usually never have everyone fit or available now both.

Wiese and Reffell now out for Internationals, Jansen IMO will shine especially with a full preseason he's going to be a tank. But it's just a case of numbers because this season we had Props, Hookers and Wingers playing flank. Murimurivalu maybe move full time into the back row haha

Half Backs
9. Youngs, 10. Pollard
9. JVP, 10. Burns
9. Wigglesworth, 10. Walsh
9. Edwards, 10. Meredith
Perfect IMO Gopperth covers as well but how many teams have 3 Internationally capped 9's and 2 Internationally capped 10's?

Centres
12. Kelly, 13. Porter
12. Gopperth, 13. Scott
12. Cokanasiga, 13. Cusick
12. Woodward, 13. Loose
Pretty happy generally, potentially see space for another centre

Back 3
11. Watson, 14. Potter, 15. Steward
11. Nadolo, 14. Ashton, 15. Hegarty
11. Saumaki, 14. Murimurivalu, 15. Simmons
11. Olowofela, 14. Browning

If Nadolo and Hegarty do go we 100% need another back 3 player IMO.

For me the holes
Back row x 2 (One being a front liner)
Centre x 1 (Could see someone older experienced coming in maybe a 13/Wing type player rather than a 12/13 type.
Back 3 x1 Potentially depending on things.

Prop if someone is about.
Done a similar exercise to you but looking at Cracknall as a 6/8 (a Liebenberg type cover or option at 7), I think an other pacey/poacher type backrower would be good.

A lot depends though. If Wasps do go bust then their squad could be available, suddenly there are a lot of quality available players presumably at a low initial price as the likes to Jack Willis have to stay in Premiership Rugby.

At centre I'd only be looking if we got a long term injury, without a major injury we've got some natural cover from Murimurivalu & I think Potter might play some at 13 next season. He played a lot at centre for Sydney Uni reportedly, and with Watson joining an already strong wing corps it would be a really useful string to his bow.

I could see a Hegarty release being entirely dependant upon a guy like Walsh developing or not. If he can jump Hegarty in the pecking order then a move is natural, if he can't then Hegs will have plenty of game time.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wonder if we’ll save the MVS cap in case someone who has been released by another club becomes available on the cheap.
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:08 am

Done a similar exercise to you but looking at Cracknall as a 6/8 (a Liebenberg type cover or option at 7), I think an other pacey/poacher type backrower would be good.

A lot depends though. If Wasps do go bust then their squad could be available, suddenly there are a lot of quality available players presumably at a low initial price as the likes to Jack Willis have to stay in Premiership Rugby.

At centre I'd only be looking if we got a long term injury, without a major injury we've got some natural cover from Murimurivalu & I think Potter might play some at 13 next season. He played a lot at centre for Sydney Uni reportedly, and with Watson joining an already strong wing corps it would be a really useful string to his bow.

I could see a Hegarty release being entirely dependant upon a guy like Walsh developing or not. If he can jump Hegarty in the pecking order then a move is natural, if he can't then Hegs will have plenty of game time.
Yes I view Cracknell in a similar position but was just trying to balance the positions.
Interesting you bring up Jack Willis a certain Mr Wilks was his first agent I believe (Along with the Curry brothers)

I don't know with the backs especially if Nadolo goes as heavily rumoured having Potter and Murimurivalu both trying to cover 13 and wings IMO might leave us open to injuries should Steward and Watson gets called up.

Some interesting players still on the market
Jason Woodward
Melani Nanai
Rob Miller
Ramiro Moyano
Steff Hughes

All confirmed leavers but no announcements on clubs.
Then you have I guess the Super rugby teams players coming on the market as well.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:16 am Wonder if we’ll save the MVS cap in case someone who has been released by another club becomes available on the cheap.
Potentially although if the club is wanting to be competitive they need to budget to use the majority of their cap each season even if it's just to bring in some guys on 1 year deals while we wait for someone.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:25 am
sk 88 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:08 am

Yes I view Cracknell in a similar position but was just trying to balance the positions.
Interesting you bring up Jack Willis a certain Mr Wilks was his first agent I believe (Along with the Curry brothers)

I don't know with the backs especially if Nadolo goes as heavily rumoured having Potter and Murimurivalu both trying to cover 13 and wings IMO might leave us open to injuries should Steward and Watson gets called up.

Some interesting players still on the market
Jason Woodward
Melani Nanai
Rob Miller
Ramiro Moyano
Steff Hughes

All confirmed leavers but no announcements on clubs.
Then you have I guess the Super rugby teams players coming on the market as well.
Just looking on the face of it right now during the autumn internationals we could put out:

Burns
-------Gopperth
-----------------Potter
Ashton------------Murimurivalu
-----------Hegarty

Bench options of Simmons, Cockanasiga, Walsh, Cusick, the other youngsters not yet announced in the development squad + Browning & Olowfela.
That's assuming all of Pollard, Kelly, Porter, Scott, Watson, Nadolo, Saumaki, Steward all get called up or are otherwise unavailable.

I think Woodward is a MUCH better player than Hegarty & if we could get him back to his best he'd open an option of Steward on the wing in the first XV, let alone just cover & depth, so I'd be very much in favour of that. But don't see the point in a signing for signings sake in the position unless/until there is a long term injury or if the injuries starting racking up in that particular position.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

The only thing we don’t know is whether Tigers have known for a while that MVS was retiring and have used his salary to give increases to other players . Once we get a definitive list of new signings/renewals we should have more idea if there is any cap left.
A2O
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

We were linked with Steff Hughes - wouldn’t be surprised if he comes in as we could do with another centre in the squad.

By the sound of things Hegarty is going and Nadolo mid-season. So maybe we could do with one more player in the back three. Like RB said there was plenty of options out there in Woodward, Nanai, Miller, Moyano. Would maybe lean towards a more out and out winger like Nani though.

MVS needs replacing and for whatever reason Robinson wasn’t deemed good enough. Maybe then we want a quality replacement in the Matera mould.