LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by baz1664 »

Squad is looking good for next season, I think Cronin could well be a clever bit of business, as for Watson if he is fit we have a world class game winner.

The biggest loss will be Genge due to his character and skills around the park, I do tho see the Berg as a long term captain due to his credentials and leadership skills.

I think the wild card is Pollard, it fit will be gravy if not a lot of cash sat on the sidelines.

Wonder what peoples thoughts are on who will be players of the season next year. For me.

Player of the season - Freddie Steward
Young Player - Dan Kelly
Signing of the season - Anthony Watson
Top try scorer - Montoya
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:44 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:06 pm Burrell? Absolutely not!!!
Agreed Why would we want an ex Saints and now ex Newcastle centre Burrell when we have had unfortunately to loose Moroni. :smt022
Moroni is in a different stratosphere and I'd mark Luther in the overrated bracket.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

bendy wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:45 am Great work as always RB.

Is there merit in giving Bondi a mention in your OP? The bloke seems an all round good egg!
Bondi is great but the biggest contributor must be Gary Sherrard and he wins special mention in Planet Rugby.
-Best Media Team: Leicester Tigers
Quote "Slick, honest and punctual, Gary Sherrard and his team at Tigers continue to set the standard in access, organisation and open engagement. Our only criticism is the cramped nature of the infamous ‘Classroom’ but when you get the player access and open conversations that Tigers offer, it’s a small price to pay for dealing with such a professional organisation. Just always remember, you don’t call Steve Borthwick ‘Borthers’ on Gary’s shift! Honourable mention to Tim Percival and Jack Miller at Northampton Saints.

And Best Golden Oldie ~ Enjoy ~ https://www.planetrugby.com/premiership ... die-prize/ :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Offside wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:18 pm The article is very interesting but from his perspective, and very honest. It does suggest Eddie Jones has very little emotional intelligence for those he does not want to keep. Also I think the statement that club Boards want to make money misses the big problem. They are not making money but trying not to loose as much. Hence the reduced salary cap. Players seem to be expecting to play to a greater age so the slots available per age will reduce. The salary cap stats showed the relative salary by age and the older players who are not good injury risks will find it difficult but in the past may have retired already.
In the DT interview with Burrell today he mentions that "Younger players some only get paid next to nothing".

I wonder how much that is likely to be?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:58 pm I’ll back the decision making up top.

So many people (myself included) have questioned so many things signings, Team selection, etc.

And 8 times out of 10 this new management has got them right.

Ashton signed when no one wanted him one of the worse teams in the league binned him off mid season now he’s a prem winner for us.
Big interview with Burns and Wigglesworth on the Good, the Bad and the rugby podcast. From what was being said Borthwick wanted Burns from the moment he knew he was available, not just as a player but for the positive influence he has in the dressing room. Apparently Wigglesworth was the first to make contact Ashton, who’s one big fault is he speak his mind if he feels there is a problem, hence the number of clubs. Also interesting to hear that Borthwick is very serious in his job but does enjoy having a laugh when hearing about the younger lads failed dates etc.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

baz1664 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:07 pm Squad is looking good for next season, I think Cronin could well be a clever bit of business, as for Watson if he is fit we have a world class game winner.

The biggest loss will be Genge due to his character and skills around the park, I do tho see the Berg as a long term captain due to his credentials and leadership skills.

I think the wild card is Pollard, it fit will be gravy if not a lot of cash sat on the sidelines.

Wonder what peoples thoughts are on who will be players of the season next year. For me.

Player of the season - Freddie Steward
Young Player - Dan Kelly
Signing of the season - Anthony Watson
Top try scorer - Montoya
Agree on whole squad looking good for next season and I hope that Pollard comes in fit and firing!

In terms of my player predictions:

Player of the season: Dan Kelly
Young Player: Sean Jansen/Phil Cokanasiga
Signing of the season: Anthony Watson
Top Try Scorer: Harry Potter
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

+1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

I cant believe we have jettisoned Moroni, BUT.
SB knows better than we do.
As for Burrell, am certain with our fitness coaches and Kevin telling him how to tackle and defend,, he would improve 100% overnight. A big unit.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Wonder with Moroni going….. that the Steff Hughes rumours were true and he’s coming in as some centre depth. He’s been released from Scarlets.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:45 pm Wonder with Moroni going….. that the Steff Hughes rumours were true and he’s coming in as some centre depth. He’s been released from Scarlets.
I'm guessing that SB believes that there is ample cover at centre now, with Gopparth and PC probably taking Morini's cap... I very much doubt that we wil sign a new centre.

The only position I can see more cover is at hooker, due to Dolly's injury, and at a push at prop, but not really. I believe we are well stacked everywhere else.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Has Cronin been announced by the club?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

TigerCam wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:34 pm
+1 :smt023
+2 :smt023
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:06 pm Has Cronin been announced by the club?
Yes, James Cronin was announced at the same time as Gopperth, Watson, Cokanasiga and Cracknell :smt001
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:16 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:06 pm Has Cronin been announced by the club?
Yes, James Cronin was announced at the same time as Gopperth, Watson, Cokanasiga and Cracknell :smt001
Thanks, wasn't sure about him. Must've missed it
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

They are listed in RB's first post, but why are Olowofela and Aspland-Robinson still in the squad? I can't see them being selected, even if available or being much use in training... Did we just give them both silly long contracts?! Are they both still on loan somewhere? I thought Olowofela was loaned out to an Australian team, but just for one year but this is now over? Can anybody enlighten me?