LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

a real shame to see Marco leave, but it will free up a lot of cap room to sign a quality replacement, who will be very much needed
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:09 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:45 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:52 pm

Thanks,do you think he should’ve been given a chance when he came back from Oz? A hat trick in SR is no mean feat
Who for?
Potter
Nadolo
Ashton
Saumaki
Porter
Murimurivalu
Wowzers! I was under the impression he was only the 4th to do it for an Ozzie club. Fancy spending all that time researching though just to prove or disprove a point,you're getting very touchy in your old age RB 😂
You literally asked me if Olowofela should’ve been given a chance.

And that’s my reply lol suggest you don’t read everything as being confrontational

I also just listed off the names of our wingers, if he was too get more chances one of those players would have to miss out really.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

Another way of looking at it is two years ago Jordan Olowofela was loosing in a poor Tigers set-up and so were Potter and Porter. They have cracked on at Tigers whilst Jordan has been away. The main problem with Guy is his tackle hight not his shyness to get stuck in. Both also break the line well. Currently if you had to choose between the three would Jordan get any game time? No. In an ideal world is it fair to give him a season back at Tigers to see if he can develop in our environment? Possibly. There will be an age gap on the wingers we have that he fits into. He will have plenty of competition but a great opportunity to learn from those who are here and incoming.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Senior squad web page seems to have been updated. Nadolo and Hegarty both still there which would suggest they are leaving at the start of the southern hemisphere season.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

In two minds whether MVS needs replacing directly. We were without him for most of last season and Reffell played a blinder in the final and is now starting for Wales. Would Illione be adequate backup?

On the flip side, as good as Reffell is, someone like Matera is on a completely different level. MVS was also a massive carrier, whereas Reffell is like Salvi, purely a breakdown and defensive menace. Doesn’t show up much ball in hand.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:12 pm Senior squad web page seems to have been updated. Nadolo and Hegarty both still there which would suggest they are leaving at the start of the southern hemisphere season.
Nemani hinted on one of their recent You Tubes Vids about announcing something soon....

As for Hegarty right player, wrong team maybe...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:15 pm In two minds whether MVS needs replacing directly. We were without him for most of last season and Reffell played a blinder in the final and is now starting for Wales. Would Illione be adequate backup?

On the flip side, as good as Reffell is, someone like Matera is on a completely different level. MVS was also a massive carrier, whereas Reffell is like Salvi, purely a breakdown and defensive menace. Doesn’t show up much ball in hand.
Reffell seems to have developed his ball in hand game but maybe not to MVS or Matera levels.
IMO Ilione could do at least the back up job if not more, he is no younger than when the Curry’s or Reffell started breaking through.
Interesting to see if anymore comes of the Italian u20s flanker rumours, as he is highly rated too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With us deciding to extend Simmons and Browning, IMO there's not going to be any space for Jordan here. Obviously he was signed on a 4 year deal though, but we also need to remember since his cameo down under he's struggled to get gametime in a poor Dragons team. At best next year a Championship team may take him on loan.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:53 pm a real shame to see Marco leave, but it will free up a lot of cap room to sign a quality replacement, who will be very much needed
I hope so as with Genge and him leaving we lack serious ball carriers but I fear he will not be replaced.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sapajo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:38 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:53 pm a real shame to see Marco leave, but it will free up a lot of cap room to sign a quality replacement, who will be very much needed
I hope so as with Genge and him leaving we lack serious ball carriers but I fear he will not be replaced.
But he hasn’t played since Christmas and we won the premiership. Some others are going to have to share the workload to replace Genge who will not be available for getting on for half the season for his new club.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So IF (and it's a big IF, as we know we have academy promotions)

We don't sign anyone... this is what I think we're looking like in terms of depth

Steward Watson Hegarty
Potter Ashton Simmons
Porter Scott Cusick
Kelly Gopperth Cokanasiga
Nadolo Murimurivalu Saumaki
Pollard Burns Walsh
Youngs JVP Wigglesworth
Cronin Whitcombe Leatigaga
Montoya Dolly Clare
Cole Heyes Hurd
Chessum Wells Manz
Henderson Green Snyman
Liebenberg Martin
Reffell Ilione
Wiese Jansen

Cowan-Dickie
(Olowafela)
Richardson
Van Wyk
Browning
Chessum L
Edwards
Hoyt
Smith
Vanes

Looking at that we still have some impressive depth but you would say that incomings would be looked at for the back row, Odiase is probably one there, plus Koroiyadi, Carnduff and Owen likey to get academy promotions, can only see at most one more signing there.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:34 pm So IF (and it's a big IF, as we know we have academy promotions)

We don't sign anyone... this is what I think we're looking like in terms of depth

Steward Watson Hegarty
Potter Ashton Simmons
Porter Scott Cusick
Kelly Gopperth Cokanasiga
Nadolo Murimurivalu Saumaki
Pollard Burns Walsh
Youngs JVP Wigglesworth
Cronin Whitcombe Leatigaga
Montoya Dolly Clare
Cole Heyes Hurd
Chessum Wells Manz
Henderson Green Snyman
Liebenberg Martin
Reffell Ilione
Wiese Jansen

Cowan-Dickie
(Olowafela)
Richardson
Van Wyk
Browning
Chessum L
Edwards
Hoyt
Smith
Vanes

Looking at that we still have some impressive depth but you would say that incomings would be looked at for the back row, Odiase is probably one there, plus Koroiyadi, Carnduff and Owen likey to get academy promotions, can only see at most one more signing there.
I agree, only really an extra 7 I would like in the perfect world but wouldn’t surprise me if we have no other signings.
If Reffell is on international duty/injured we only have Ilione and liebenberg who could move to 7.
Plenty of cover for 6 with wells and chessum also able to cover there and liebenberg/chessum/Martin (I believe has played 8?) can cover 8
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

It seems unlikely that tigers will not replace MVS. They didn’t keep Robinson and we are light in that position. The club should have plenty of cap to play with.

Feel very sad for MVS and I hope he doesn’t have to retire. The number of games he has played at the age of 26 really surprised me. Heyes has played more in the front row and he is 21/22.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:58 pm It seems unlikely that tigers will not replace MVS. They didn’t keep Robinson and we are light in that position. The club should have plenty of cap to play with.

Feel very sad for MVS and I hope he doesn’t have to retire. The number of games he has played at the age of 26 really surprised me. Heyes has played more in the front row and he is 21/22.
I had the feeling from part way through his long lay off that he may not play again.

I'm gutted for him. I do wonder if some of his cap may go to a new contract for Tommy T?
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:58 pm It seems unlikely that tigers will not replace MVS. They didn’t keep Robinson and we are light in that position. The club should have plenty of cap to play with.

Even though the cap is reduced?