LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly different shaped Whitcombe next season, Hayes is noticeably a different "outline" to previous seasons.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:12 pm There's a nice range of ages on the loosehead: Whitcombe turns 22 next season, Leatigaga turns 28, Cronin turns 32.
I think the hope is that the default selection can be Whitcombe, but at the same time manage his game time sensibly.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:36 pm I wouldn't be surprised to see a slightly different shaped Whitcombe next season, Hayes is noticeably a different "outline" to previous seasons.
Realistically Heyes got a bit too big at one point I think. He's spoken himself about being well over 20 stone and "barely able to move". He's come down closer to 19 stone now I believe but looks a much better player for it. I can see Heyes usurping Stuart over the summer. I don't think Stuart is the dire player some make out either!

Whitcombe to me looks to be naturally heading to a pretty ideal build for a prop. If he looks a bit leaner next season that wouldn't be a surprise at all though as most players seem have headed that way with Walters involved.

Jansen is a player I could see coming back from full preseason looking like he's got a new body though.

I'd be really interested in what Walters is doing a bit differently to many in rugby S&C given his impact with the Boks and Tigers. For a long time I've felt rugby has had an obsession with high intensity interval style training to the neglect of 'steady state' training to build a cardio base that you see in sports such as rowing that requires a lot of boring low intensity training but has huge benefits in the long run.

Maybe the sort of thing that will come out when someone such as Kolisi releases a biography.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rowing uses both aerobic and anaerobic training such as fartlek training. As do most sports unless they are specificly low intensity sports. The only one that doesn't really is bodybuilding, during the cutting stage it is exactly lots of long,boring low intensity training.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

On the subject of props, the one area where we possibly lack strength (or experience) in depth might be tighthead.

If Heyes is going to be away during international periods, then we’re one injury to Cole away from starting games with less than ideal options at #3.

I know Leatigaga can ‘cover’ TH, but I wouldn’t want him doing 80 minutes there. Can Hurd make the step up to being a Premiership-level prop - not just filling the shirt but besting his opposite number?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 pm On the subject of props, the one area where we possibly lack strength (or experience) in depth might be tighthead.

If Heyes is going to be away during international periods, then we’re one injury to Cole away from starting games with less than ideal options at #3.

I know Leatigaga can ‘cover’ TH, but I wouldn’t want him doing 80 minutes there. Can Hurd make the step up to being a Premiership-level prop - not just filling the shirt but besting his opposite number?
Good points,I'm not sold on Ladygaga at TH at all but what I've seen of Hurd he looks good and I think this will be his Whitcombe season. Wheres Richardson at present? Can he be recalled due to injuries?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:35 pm On the subject of props, the one area where we possibly lack strength (or experience) in depth might be tighthead.

Hurd's looked pretty solid at set piece when he's played. Don't think that's a particular concern unless he's up against a top level operator like Genge or Marler. I think it's his ability round the park he'll need to up. Cole and Heyes are not the norm in terms of work rate for a tighthead prop, their contributions are off the charts. Leatigaga is obviously an absolute unit as well.

Hurd is a year younger than Heyes so still time for him to come through and develop into a Prem level prop. Given the squad cuts I'd have thought he's good value for money at third/fourth choice.

I think we've managed to keep a good selection of props and at a good age range as well.

LH - Cronin (32), Whitcombe (21), can Wyk (30)
TH - Cole (35), Heyes (23), Hurd (22)
Both - Leatigaga (28), Richardson (26)
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:50 pm

Good points,I'm not sold on Ladygaga at TH at all but what I've seen of Hurd he looks good and I think this will be his Whitcombe season. Wheres Richardson at present? Can he be recalled due to injuries?
Richardson spent most of the year at Cov, during the post season cup he played for Nottingham, so think his loan agreements have ended now.

I suspect he'll probably go to Nottingham this year, if he goes out. Our props who went to Cov (Richardson and Hurd) often only got bench games due to them training with us a lot of the time not with Cov, whereas Nottingham actually train with us so not an issue, I just think last year Nottingham had enough depth at prop they didn't really have an opening for loanees, further into our partnership with Nottingham, we're probably looking at loans planning with them a bit more im depth so they may be able to have these guys should we want.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:58 pm
LH - Cronin (32), Whitcombe (21), can Wyk (30)
TH - Cole (35), Heyes (23), Hurd (22)
Both - Leatigaga (28), Richardson (26)
Yeah, think we're just waiting on leavers list

Wouldn't be overly surprised to see one or more out of Van Wyk, Hurd or Leatigaga leaving us and a prop replacing them. I know latest rumours are that Leatigaga is staying, after that I think it more likely that Van Wyk is going than Hurd, but wouldn't be surprised either way.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Crumbiestalker wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:13 pm Good evening, a newbie to the forum here…l am so looking forward to seeing the team in September.. A full pre season and the young guys benefiting from Jimmy Goperth’s extra input to further develop their game. How will we structure our playing style with Pollard at 10 - or will he get more chances at 12 with Freddie Burns at 10? I get the impression that he Freddie had a monkey on his back, now lifted with that unforgettable drop goal and he will play with a confidence of a player who doesn’t have to prove anything.
I hope that we continue to build Fortress Welford Road , that the team won’t allow anything else than victories at home.
We did incredibly well with the amount of away victories we had last year. We were never going to win every game…but just hold on.Our attitude should be that we can remain unbeaten all season. I know that the team say that they want to win every game, well let’s do it. Set our bar so high that we won’t fail.
Now we are just waiting for a Mr Genge replacement and l do hope that we get the leavers list soon!
Sorry about rambling on, but the potential of this team and what they could achieve is frightening-roll on September.
Welcome to the forum. There are exciting times ahead that’s for sure! Lots to look forward to
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Is it just me or folk less nervous about next season? It's strange because the expectation levels could be higher and theres a target on our backs but I feel that winning the title and staying top all season has took the pressure off us,well me certainly.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:46 pm Is it just me or folk less nervous about next season? It's strange because the expectation levels could be higher and theres a target on our backs but I feel that winning the title and staying top all season has took the pressure off us,well me certainly.
Yeah, I do think it's lifted the pressure, we are not just a fallen giant, we're the champions.
Borthwick and the players have proven their potential so that pressure has lifted. However most people seeing the likes of Ford, Genge and Moroni leaving will be thinking we'll be a few positions lower next year.
Nobody rates us like the Tigers team of the turn of the millennium where back to back titles would be expected. Next season is a free hit so long as we still make the playoffs.

Obviously our start to the season was huge for us so maybe if we have a bad start we may feel pressure, but right now we have a youthful squad full of proven winners which is a great platform IMO, we're not a team who "could" do big things, we've shown we can, and that lifts pressure and allows players to do their bit.

No longer will people wonder if Sinfield can do it in Union, nobody questions if Tom Harrison is experienced enough to coach our 1st team scrum etc etc
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:16 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:46 pm Is it just me or folk less nervous about next season? It's strange because the expectation levels could be higher and theres a target on our backs but I feel that winning the title and staying top all season has took the pressure off us,well me certainly.
Yeah, I do think it's lifted the pressure, we are not just a fallen giant, we're the champions.
Borthwick and the players have proven their potential so that pressure has lifted. However most people seeing the likes of Ford, Genge and Moroni leaving will be thinking we'll be a few positions lower next year.
Nobody rates us like the Tigers team of the turn of the millennium where back to back titles would be expected. Next season is a free hit so long as we still make the playoffs.

Obviously our start to the season was huge for us so maybe if we have a bad start we may feel pressure, but right now we have a youthful squad full of proven winners which is a great platform IMO, we're not a team who "could" do big things, we've shown we can, and that lifts pressure and allows players to do their bit.

No longer will people wonder if Sinfield can do it in Union, nobody questions if Tom Harrison is experienced enough to coach our 1st team scrum etc etc
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... wo-7262093

Just seen this article, we're 3rd favourites behind Sarries and Chiefs for next season, just ahead of Quins and Sale...
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:58 pm
Cole and Heyes are not the norm in terms of work rate for a tighthead prop, their contributions are off the charts.

Hurd is a year younger than Heyes so still time for him to come through and develop into a Prem level prop.
I must admit I haven’t noticed Heyes’ contributions in the loose. But they must be half-decent given that he’s gone to Australia (and Collier hasn’t).

I also didn’t realise that Hurd is younger than Heyes. That certainly changes my expectations of him.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:32 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:16 pm

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... wo-7262093

Just seen this article, we're 3rd favourites behind Sarries and Chiefs for next season, just ahead of Quins and Sale...
Unless Chiefs have picked up some half backs I’m unaware of they will struggle for top 6 again next season imo