Moroni
Socino
Van Staden
Taute

Law
Rowntree

Robinson
Agbongbon
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:01 pm You got to wonder if Murphys lot gave Olowfela a very long contract

Sam Aspland-Robinson
George Ford
Ellis Genge
Matías Moroni
Juan Pablo Socino
Marco van Staden
Jaco Taute
Olly Robinson
Agbongbon
Jonny Law
Jack Rowntree
Amazed not to see Olowafela, but there we go...

Also interesting to see Tom Cowan-Dickie not listed so think that confirms him as staying on past his short term contract
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

no real surprises in the leavers - great to see less churn than we have seen over recent seasons too
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerXV wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:06 pm no real surprises in the leavers - great to see less churn than we have seen over recent seasons too
Slight surprise on Rowntree as I believed he was highly regarded and MvS (sadly) - I don't think he will go near a rugby field again, unfortunately. The rest of the leavers aren't shocks and were pretty heavily speculated during the season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So what 9 senior leavers about 5 incoming.

Potential that Hegarty and Nadolo might be off mid season.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:09 pm
TigerXV wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:06 pm no real surprises in the leavers - great to see less churn than we have seen over recent seasons too
Slight surprise on Rowntree as I believed he was highly regarded and MvS (sadly) - I don't think he will go near a rugby field again, unfortunately. The rest of the leavers aren't shocks and were pretty heavily speculated during the season.
With Rowntree, Smith and Hoyt on there I always thought a chance one may go, thought he may have had ome more year though
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:04 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:01 pm You got to wonder if Murphys lot gave Olowfela a very long contract

Sam Aspland-Robinson
George Ford
Ellis Genge
Matías Moroni
Juan Pablo Socino
Marco van Staden
Jaco Taute
Olly Robinson
Agbongbon
Jonny Law
Jack Rowntree
Amazed not to see Olowafela, but there we go...

Also interesting to see Tom Cowan-Dickie not listed so think that confirms him as staying on past his short term contract
Given Dolly's injury and Montoya's international commitments makes sense to keep him on. He'll be inexpensive, knows the systems and presumably wouldn't have been kept on this long if Borthwick didn't think he was a useful squad man.

Agbongbon is one I thought we'd hold onto for at least one more season, looked to have something about him.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Barring the already known players, Van Staden is the standout name, albeit not an absolute shock given the rumours during his concussion related absence. You’d assume we’ll be back in the market for an openside, given Reffell’s ascent into the Wales side will probably see him missing during international windows now, and obviously places a big mark over his future with us.
Robinson perhaps not done enough to get a deal backfilling MVS, or perhaps already got something lined up.
Best of luck to all those leaving us, largely we are in a better place than when they joined.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Didn’t rolling maul podcast say Moroni and MVS would be staying? :smt005

Imagine we’ll hear further announcements over the summer about Hegarty and Nadolo. Olowofela to probably go back out on loan. Also expect some more incoming players.

Rumours about the Italian U20 flanker, Steff Hughes still and possibly another flanker to replace MVS.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

So backrow currently that we know about
Back row specalists:
Wiese
Liebenberg
Reffell
Martin
Cracknell
Jansen
Ilione

Regularly covered there
Chessum
Wells

Occasionally covers there
Henderson
Murimurivalu
Dolly
Whitcombe

I do think that leaves room for one more in an abrasive position.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:27 pm Didn’t rolling maul podcast say Moroni and MVS would be staying? :smt005

Imagine we’ll hear further announcements over the summer about Hegarty and Nadolo. Olowofela to probably go back out on loan. Also expect some more incoming players.

Rumours about the Italian U20 flanker, Steff Hughes still and possibly another flanker to replace MVS.
Rolling Maul said they thought Moroni was staying the MVS news was just that he was passing the return to play tests

Doubt Nadolo and Hegarty will be announced over the summer. More likely Autumn announcements for them to go for the start of the year down there in November?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I think this year, above all others, there is going to be a massive benefit in doing late business for signings. There are going to be all levels of players without a club who will be looking for contracts and so there is the chance to do some very decent business. That is, of course, dependent on whether the leavers announced today were already included in our cap spending that has been announced or if any, I am thinking mainly in relation to MVS, are more recent revelations that leave a bit available to spend.

I would suspect that, if not already spent, MVS leaving would provide a fairly significant amount.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Wonder if we could get Hanro’s brother out of retirement as a short term replacement.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Gutted about MVS! Hope he’s ok
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:30 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:27 pm Didn’t rolling maul podcast say Moroni and MVS would be staying? :smt005

Rolling Maul said they thought Moroni was staying the MVS news was just that he was passing the return to play tests

Doubt Nadolo and Hegarty will be announced over the summer. More likely Autumn announcements for them to go for the start of the year down there in November?
Thank you Steve - that was what we said on both players. Not sure what having a crack on a fans podcast gets people, but hey ho.

On MVS - worth remembering that it was only a few weeks ago, many on here had reported speaking to him personally and being told he would be here next season. We advised that he was passing the return to play procedures like Steve said.

Moroni is an interesting one. Watson's interview with The Telegraph is very interesting as he was told i December by Bath he would not get a new contract, and only got a new club by end of April (us). It's at that point the rumours of Moroni staying went cold - makes me think that maybe we had a choice between the two players and went for Watson over Moroni.