LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2022/23 - Prisoner of Oadby Pre-Season

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:57 am Hegarty confirmed off to Force just a matter of when.
https://archive.ph/60NGM

"It is hoped he will be in Perth by November but he could arrive earlier if he secures a release from Leicester who will make a decision when their international players return for pre-season."
Not surprised. Probably isn't too happy being 3rd/4th choice, just got engaged etc.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Bring in Nanai to replace Hegarty and Nadolo :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally would be alright with a early release if we could get Woodward or Rob Miller signed up and pass the fitness tests.
Granted wage reflective on their injury reputations.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

A shame that Marcus Watson has signed with Treviso. He'd have fitted into that hole well as a solid but not too expensive player covering the back three.

I'd be happy with Woodward or Miller though.

A couple of other thoughts on unattached fullback options:

Mike Brown still hasn't got a new club? He was mixed to poor in a weak Falcons side but would offer someone more similar to Steward tactically if we could get the most out of him. It would be a very moneyball style move in keeping with some of our recent recruitment.

I've always been a fan of Ahsee Tuala as well. He's struggled with injury similar to Woodward but same as there if it was a contract that took that injury record into account he might be worth a punt as squad cover?
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Woodward or Miller would be handy pick-ups as cover/Hegarty replacement. Prem quality, and wouldn't command a high wage i'd have thought.

I'm interested to see who we go for to replace MVS. With Reffell looking a fixture at International level and with uncertainty about if he stays in 12 months' time, we could do with someone who is of a very high standard i think to ensure we can have two top 7's. By my reckoning we have 7 back-rows (including Illione), i think we need 8 in total given they are positions that pick up injuries fairly easily. It's a shame we didn't keep Agbonbon as i thought he'd settled in nicely and shown lots of potential. Not to be sadly.

After that, it's only really hooker that needs sorting IMO. I'm assuming we will look to keep TCD for another year, he seemed to slot in for us and would be a handy signing for us. As it goes, it is likely that Clare will start the season as first choice, which i'm very comfortable with. I think he is severely underrated and i'm looking forward to seeing how he goes.

On Pre-season, we come back on the 18th July - which meets the 4 week break the players are entitled to. Last year we got roughly 10 weeks of pre-season, this year we have two less at 8 weeks, due to us making the Prem final, so we will need to work fast and well in that time so we're not short. I have every confidence that we will get through some good work, like we did last year - a key reason why we did so well tbh, a proper pre-season. England boys will be back middle of August, so they will only get 3-4 weeks of pre-season before the season starts, so interesting to see how we adapt.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am Woodward or Miller would be handy pick-ups as cover/Hegarty replacement. Prem quality, and wouldn't command a high wage i'd have thought.

I'm interested to see who we go for to replace MVS. With Reffell looking a fixture at International level and with uncertainty about if he stays in 12 months' time, we could do with someone who is of a very high standard i think to ensure we can have two top 7's. By my reckoning we have 7 back-rows (including Illione), i think we need 8 in total given they are positions that pick up injuries fairly easily. It's a shame we didn't keep Agbonbon as i thought he'd settled in nicely and shown lots of potential. Not to be sadly.

After that, it's only really hooker that needs sorting IMO. I'm assuming we will look to keep TCD for another year, he seemed to slot in for us and would be a handy signing for us. As it goes, it is likely that Clare will start the season as first choice, which i'm very comfortable with. I think he is severely underrated and i'm looking forward to seeing how he goes.

On Pre-season, we come back on the 18th July - which meets the 4 week break the players are entitled to. Last year we got roughly 10 weeks of pre-season, this year we have two less at 8 weeks, due to us making the Prem final, so we will need to work fast and well in that time so we're not short. I have every confidence that we will get through some good work, like we did last year - a key reason why we did so well tbh, a proper pre-season. England boys will be back middle of August, so they will only get 3-4 weeks of pre-season before the season starts, so interesting to see how we adapt.
I thought that the England players had to have a longer break when they return from Australia - 8-10 weeks?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:00 am A shame that Marcus Watson has signed with Treviso. He'd have fitted into that hole well as a solid but not too expensive player covering the back three.

I'd be happy with Woodward or Miller though.

A couple of other thoughts on unattached fullback options:

Mike Brown still hasn't got a new club? He was mixed to poor in a weak Falcons side but would offer someone more similar to Steward tactically if we could get the most out of him. It would be a very moneyball style move in keeping with some of our recent recruitment.

I've always been a fan of Ahsee Tuala as well. He's struggled with injury similar to Woodward but same as there if it was a contract that took that injury record into account he might be worth a punt as squad cover?
I still think the rest of this month, and even August, could be really interesting as the unattached players see what they might be able to get if they stay in the game.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am I'm interested to see who we go for to replace MVS. With Reffell looking a fixture at International level and with uncertainty about if he stays in 12 months' time, we could do with someone who is of a very high standard i think to ensure we can have two top 7's. By my reckoning we have 7 back-rows (including Illione), i think we need 8 in total given they are positions that pick up injuries fairly easily. It's a shame we didn't keep Agbonbon as i thought he'd settled in nicely and shown lots of potential. Not to be sadly.
So back row I think we have ready for the prem...

Wiese
Reffell
Liebenberg
Martin
Cracknell
Jansen
Illione

Chessum & Wells are both able to cover back row (interesting both of their squad pages say lock/back row)

Plus Prem Cup ready wise (likely getting Senior Academy slots)
Koroiyadi
Carnduff
Owen

Definitely agree, one more would be nice

Also interesting to note, Martin is still listed as Lock/Back Row (so maybe they still see him playing there)

Other one is Cokanasiga is listed as Centre/Outside Back, so there's thoughts that he can play wing too...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:58 am
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:53 am Woodward or Miller would be handy pick-ups as cover/Hegarty replacement. Prem quality, and wouldn't command a high wage i'd have thought.

I thought that the England players had to have a longer break when they return from Australia - 8-10 weeks?
I'm using last year as the precedent on this one. I'm fairly sure Ellis Genge only turned up last year in the middle of August, 4 weeks after being in the England squad in the summer Internationals. I have always thought it was 10 weeks for the lions tour only, given the heavy schedule out there. Happy to be proven wrong on this mind!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:02 pm
Chessum & Wells are both able to cover back row (interesting both of their squad pages say lock/back row)
To be fair they've both played fairly regularly in both second and back row. Obviously Wells has played more in total, but over the past 3 seasons they've both started a dozen or so games at either 6 or 8. Chessum, unsurprisingly, has worn the 20 shirt far more often though compared to Wells, who has tended to be in 19 on the bench (although obviously that's far harder to analyse!).

Martin's only start at lock was his debut! He's worn the 19 shirt twice (once last season - and he came on for Liebenburg in the back row!), but other than that' he's played exclusively at 6, 8 or in the 20 shirt. :smt001
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Our reported interest in Tom Curry worries me, given his injury/concussion record as reported in the press.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:16 pm
To be fair they've both played fairly regularly in both second and back row. Obviously Wells has played more in total, but over the past 3 seasons they've both started a dozen or so games at either 6 or 8. Chessum, unsurprisingly, has worn the 20 shirt far more often though compared to Wells, who has tended to be in 19 on the bench (although obviously that's far harder to analyse!).

Martin's only start at lock was his debut! He's worn the 19 shirt twice (once last season - and he came on for Liebenburg in the back row!), but other than that' he's played exclusively at 6, 8 or in the 20 shirt. :smt001
When Martin played the 19 shirt (if my memory serves) I think that was the game Liebenberg injured his shoulder scoring a try, it was Van Staden's first start for us I think, with Reffell in 20. Think we put Martin on when Liebenburg was injured as Reffell was still wanted to be kept for Van Staden/Wiese cover too.

Obviously that led in to a period of a shortage in the back row so it may be he would have been tried at lock sooner otherwise.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:37 pm Our reported interest in Tom Curry worries me, given his injury/concussion record as reported in the press.
Beginning to sound quite similar to MVS. Frankly the state of several players (Tomas Francis included - that looked really worrying) is concerning.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:38 pm

When Martin played the 19 shirt (if my memory serves) I think that was the game Liebenberg injured his shoulder scoring a try, it was Van Staden's first start for us I think, with Reffell in 20. Think we put Martin on when Liebenburg was injured as Reffell was still wanted to be kept for Van Staden/Wiese cover too.

Obviously that led in to a period of a shortage in the back row so it may be he would have been tried at lock sooner otherwise.
Indeed.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

He played 6 Vs Bath on his debut. Came off the bench wearing 19 to replace Wells in the row Vs LI on his next appearance but that was a short term thing as he got injured soon after and missed a few weeks.

Don't think he's played lock for the first team since. Like Liebenburg he could do a job there but is better suited to the backrow.