Country Road adopted lyrics

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Country Road adopted lyrics

Post by loretta »

CJ wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:05 pm For what it’s worth and at risk of annoying the style police, I think its super to have a song that is associated with us. Something to counter saints go marching in and mighty Quins.
I’d have to say I agree. I don’t actually care what it is, we just need something. We’ve tried sorting it out with half a dozen blokes tapping out stuff on a forum that a precious small percentage of supporters actually read, and no big surprise, it didn’t take. If this gains traction with enough of the fan base to stick, I’m all for it. If that doesn’t float your boat, here’s an idea. Don’t sing!
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

loretta wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:13 pm
CJ wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:05 pm For what it’s worth and at risk of annoying the style police, I think its super to have a song that is associated with us. Something to counter saints go marching in and mighty Quins.
I’d have to say I agree. I don’t actually care what it is, we just need something. We’ve tried sorting it out with half a dozen blokes tapping out stuff on a forum that a precious small percentage of supporters actually read, and no big surprise, it didn’t take. If this gains traction with enough of the fan base to stick, I’m all for it. If that doesn’t float your boat, here’s an idea. Don’t sing!
:smt023
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

loretta wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:13 pm
Hopefully after we win the next three Prems in a row all the fans who are at Twickenham will have picked up the words by then.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

YoWaGoWan wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:55 pm Does anyone have the adopted lyrics to our Leicester TIGERS anthem? loved hearing it on saturday, nearly as much as Freddie :smt005
Almost heaven, Welford Road
Where our Tigers, have played forever
Life’s the best there, one big family
Young and old together, cheering on our team

Welford Road, is my home
Its the place where I belong
Leicester Tigers, you’re the greatest
Take me home, to Welford Road

All the memories, since 1880
All the players, that have come and gone
Premier Cup wins, we have plenty
Europeans, we’ve won two

Welford Road, is my home

We’ll raise our voices, to cheer the lads along
“Come on you Tigers”, chanted 80 minutes long
Home or away, no matter where we have been
We support the greatest, in the red white and green

Welford Road, take me home
Take me home, down to Welford Road
Take me home, down to Welford Road

Apologies to John Denver

Lyrics by Bob Goulder

A few tweaks since my original post
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Burtonbelle

Post by Burtonbelle »

If Freddie can sing it loud and proud in front of Twickers and TV cameras and say ‘Who wouldn't sing to this’, and leave Flats and Ojo laughing, it’s alright by me! I can imagine them singing it on the coach home!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Personally just chanting Tigers, Tigers, has always been more rousing than any song and having been to Quins most seasons they use”Come on you Quins,” far more than the song.
Sorry, it’s just me, but I will always cheer a Tigers, Tigers.
Be interesting to hear what the players think!
Tigers, Tigers.
Lots of us doing that drowns out any song.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

When I used to do my schtik on crowd behaviour, I used to reference Tigers.
"We have chants", I would say, "we have 'Tigers' Tigers' and we have 'Deano, Deano'; we're very creative at Leicester".

It used to raise a smile.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Burtonbelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:49 pm If Freddie can sing it loud and proud in front of Twickers and TV cameras and say ‘Who wouldn't sing to this’, and leave Flats and Ojo laughing, it’s alright by me! I can imagine them singing it on the coach home!
If you listen again you will hear that
he sang precious little and what he did sing was the original Denver lyrics. Indeed listen to Nemani singing on the on pitch post match video doing the rounds on social media and he sang the original lyrics.

Last edited by sapajo on Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:58 pm
Burtonbelle wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:49 pm If Freddie can sing it loud and proud in front of Twickers and TV cameras and say ‘Who wouldn't sing to this’, and leave Flats and Ojo laughing, it’s alright by me! I can imagine them singing it on the coach home!
If you listen again you will hear that
he sang precious little and what he did sing was the original Denver lyrics.

As I said. The lyrics don’t really matter
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
langton85

Post by langton85 »

2022 - on holiday in Spain listening to good old BBC Radio Leicester (God bless the BBC) and after an amazing final (well done Chris Egerton and team) hear the John Denver song on the tannoy and a number of Leicester voices revving it up.

2002 - Heineken Cup Final v Munster in Cardiff. The announcer calls on the Munster fans to sing a song. The Fields of Athenry is belted round the stadium, even by the Leicester fans who knew it. Next, “ We call on the Leicester fans to sing us a song; stony silence and then a half hearted “Clap clap clap clap clap; clap clap clap; Tigers! Total embarrassment.

Surely something is better than nothing. Alternatively could we go down the Ireland RFU route of getting someone like Eurovision winning songwriter, Phil Coulter to write us a special anthem like he wrote “Ireland’s Call” for the national team.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

langton85 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:02 pm 2022 - on holiday in Spain listening to good old BBC Radio Leicester (God bless the BBC) and after an amazing final (well done Chris Egerton and team) hear the John Denver song on the tannoy and a number of Leicester voices revving it up.

2002 - Heineken Cup Final v Munster in Cardiff. The announcer calls on the Munster fans to sing a song. The Fields of Athenry is belted round the stadium, even by the Leicester fans who knew it. Next, “ We call on the Leicester fans to sing us a song; stony silence and then a half hearted “Clap clap clap clap clap; clap clap clap; Tigers! Total embarrassment.

Surely something is better than nothing. Alternatively could we go down the Ireland RFU route of getting someone like Eurovision winning songwriter, Phil Coulter to write us a special anthem like he wrote “Ireland’s Call” for the national team.
I sing along to "Irelands Call" and the French national anthem they both have meaningful rousing lyrics not to mention great tunes.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'll stick to Tigerssssss Tigerssss,the players love that too!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Tunes create an atmosphere and not everyone is going to agree with everything…..Katy Perry, Blackeyed Peas, Neil Diamond, Bon Jovi all have tunes that add to the events atmosphers but not everyone joins in. Your choice but let others have their enjoyment is my view.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

It started in Clermont when their band started up, Pithhead, dont know his real name, took this up adapted it to Leicester Tigers, at the end after we had won, all the Tigers team came over to our corner of the ground and all of them joined in with our singing, they loved our support.
For those who dont want to join in, dont, but for goodness sake please dont keep repeating the fact over and over, those that want the song have heard your views, please relent and join in, its a bit of fun and the players like it. Its not intended to replace our Tigers chant, its just a bit of harmless fun.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

For those who question why we sing it at home , perhaps the words could be changed to "where our home is Welford Road".