Massive thank you’s to leaving players

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Massive thank you’s to leaving players

Post by ay2oh »

On his current trajectory he will be world class in 2 years.
A2O
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:49 pm On his current trajectory he will be world class in 2 years.
Definitely, I seriously have to scratch my head when thinking of what NH international FB I'd swap him for today!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Interesting question on NH fullbacks.

Liam Williams and Hogg at their best I'd narrowly take over current Freddie. Sanjay on top form is as good in the air but offers more in attack in my opinion. Probably a more consistent kicking game than Freddie currently as well. Hogg at his best isn't as good defensively but his attacking play is exceptional and his kicking on top form can be brilliant too. We haven't seen that top form from either this season though. Personally I think neither have looked fully fit at times.

I think Steward could surpass their respective best in time though. His huge boot means he should develop a kicking game that's a genuine tactical weapon like Hogg. He is already improving a lot as a carrier when running lines off 9 and 10, especially in the opposition half as his size makes him hard to stop close to the line.

We also saw against Ireland just what a weapon Steward chasing high balls could be if used frequently with an accurate kicking game. Steward chasing to challenge in the air with the likes of Curry, Lawes, Itoje and Underhill on his shoulder to make a hit if the opposition win that aerial battle is a brutal combination if England kick accurately.

Being very harsh, when defending as a last defender on the wing close to his try line (a role fullbacks often perform that close to the line) he can sometimes be hesitant and caught a bit flat footed. In some situations you simply need to commit to the rush looking to take man and ball, or use the touchline as your last defender and force the winger to step inside to the cover defender. On occasions I notice Freddie hang back doing neither and get flat footed. It's a small criticism and one that can easily be solved with experience. He obviously isn't lacking physicality in the tackle itself.

Given the combination of where Steward already is (England's best fullback) and where he could get to (potential to be one of the best fullbacks in rugby) I wouldn't trade him for any 15.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

About as far removed from a full back as possible but the 2 things that have occurred to me is firstly the improvement in his attacking game as shown by his break past Daley in the final and the timing of the pass to Ashton. This wasn’t a one off and he has the ability to know when to time the pass off both hands.
Secondly the size of him. I noticed in some of the England snaps how he blends in with Chessum and a few others, and he hasn’t stopped developing yet. I’m sure with Aleds assistance he will develop in the right way and not loose any pace.

Slightly off topic but a back line built around JVP, Kelly, Porter, Potter and Steward will do very well over the next few years.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Sanjay? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:09 amSanjay? 🤔
Liam Williams
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:16 am
Liam Williams
Never heard it before,what does it mean?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:51 pm
Liam Williams
Had to google it...it is his nickname

https://www.rugbyworld.com/players/liam ... now-125411
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:31 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:51 pm

Liam Williams
Had to google it...it is his nickname

https://www.rugbyworld.com/players/liam ... now-125411
Had no idea what it meant, but had seen it many times on Twitter as it's his Twitter handle
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I’ve always struggled with the term world class. To me, any player that has more than a hand full of international caps, certainly for a tier 1 team, is world class. How can they be anything but?

I think many people that say “world class” really mean amongst the best in the world in their position, which is somewhat different in my mind
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What matters is how good you are now.
Freddie S is among the best in the world now. What he did yesterday or Liam Williams (or others) did yesterday is irrelevant.
You get better by getting better not staying the same for longer.

Moroni is a high class operator, no doubt but world class? Possibly, but in a salary capped league it’s harder to justify big bucks for someone playing in the centres. Again it’s hard to judge someone playing in a mid level international team. Likewise it’s hard to judge how good England players are because they are part of a dysfunctional and underperforming team. A bit like Tigers pre Borthwick.