Tigers in U20 England team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers in U20 England team

Post by markharbtiger »

In a game of lots of cards and an England win, nice try by Jed Walsh who took on scrum-half duties in part of the second half as well as fly-half. He also plays full-back (though not today) so looks like a very handy back.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Like the look of Walsh already. Might get a proper look at him in the next game, with Fin Smith going off injured.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Odd game with more than a sprinkling of cards (four yellow and one red). England were error strewn against a French team that swung wildly between sensational and awful.

Our boys looked good. Ilione was standard Ilione, Walsh had a good spell off the bench looking lively though he does seem to have a tendency to get himself isolated. Chessum had a very good game, put himself about and took a lot of lineouts. The Richards/Chessum lock combination looks a good one for England.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 pm Odd game with more than a sprinkling of cards (four yellow and one red). England were error strewn against a French team that swung wildly between sensational and awful.

Our boys looked good. Ilione was standard Ilione, Walsh had a good spell off the bench looking lively though he does seem to have a tendency to get himself isolated. Chessum had a very good game, put himself about and took a lot of lineouts. The Richards/Chessum lock combination looks a good one for England.
Yes I wasn’t convinced about the penalty try and associated yellow, not sure what else the England player could have done. Ilione was I thought quiet for him subbed after 55 mins i think down to the heat 30 degrees plus in Verona, same with Finn Smith who looked exhausted and dehydrated. Agree about Walsh took his try well and had to move into 9 for 10 minutes due to one of the cards and maybe tried to do too much.
First time I’ve seen Chessum jnr in the flesh. Looks like he’s filling out and is an excellent line out operator. Gave away a stupid penalty baiting the Italian hooker after a not straight throw, which won’t have pleased the management.
Looking forward to see him develop and Chessum x 2 in the 2nd row in a couple of years
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Could they not think of an alternate name for this comp? There are 8 team competing in it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:33 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:12 pm Odd game with more than a sprinkling of cards (four yellow and one red). England were error strewn against a French team that swung wildly between sensational and awful.

Yes I wasn’t convinced about the penalty try and associated yellow, not sure what else the England player could have done. Ilione was I thought quiet for him subbed after 55 mins i think down to the heat 30 degrees plus in Verona, same with Finn Smith who looked exhausted and dehydrated. Agree about Walsh took his try well and had to move into 9 for 10 minutes due to one of the cards and maybe tried to do too much.
First time I’ve seen Chessum jnr in the flesh. Looks like he’s filling out and is an excellent line out operator. Gave away a stupid penalty baiting the Italian hooker after a not straight throw, which won’t have pleased the management.
Looking forward to see him develop and Chessum x 2 in the 2nd row in a couple of years
I've seen Lewis Chessum play a good half dozen times now and he is fiesty, his brother doesn't mind if the opposition want a bit of shoving Ollie will happily give it back. Lewis though seems to enjoy that niggly part of the game a lot more. In the right circumstances it can be effective he just needs to make sure he applies the niggle out of earshot and possibly eyeline of the ref.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Scotland U20's just lost their 13th consecutive match losing 55-17 to Georgia.

That is a hammering that may take some recovery from.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ilione has been the shining star of this England team IMO
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm

I've seen Lewis Chessum play a good half dozen times now and he is fiesty, his brother doesn't mind if the opposition want a bit of shoving Ollie will happily give it back. Lewis though seems to enjoy that niggly part of the game a lot more. In the right circumstances it can be effective he just needs to make sure he applies the niggle out of earshot and possibly eyeline of the ref.
Agree, and I've seen him both at Notts and for England U20s and where there's a bit of pushing and shoving, he's right in the thick of it ! He has no qualms to get stuck into anyone, regardless of age/height/position !
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:10 am
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 pm

Agree, and I've seen him both at Notts and for England U20s and where there's a bit of pushing and shoving, he's right in the thick of it ! He has no qualms to get stuck into anyone, regardless of age/height/position !
Give his natural size if he were intimidated by the opposition I'd be disappointed. Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but I do like to see a big lock throw his size around and make sure the opposition know he's there. If they can also keep the ref offside and not concede penalties whilst they do it then they really are a rare breed that should be utilised.

Chessum Jnr looks to be improving, hopefully he follows his brother's example. He could be a very handy set piece lock going forward, particularly as someone his size could quite easily be close to 20 stone when naturally filled out.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

It’s easy in this day and age for these big boys to throw their weight about in tbe hand bags push ing and shoving …makes them look good .. back in the day some gnarled old prop would have just belted them and they would have gone down like a sack of spuds and that would put a stop to that!
Apparently that’s not allowed any more!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

mightymouse wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 am It’s easy in this day and age for these big boys to throw their weight about in tbe hand bags push ing and shoving …makes them look good .. back in the day some gnarled old prop would have just belted them and they would have gone down like a sack of spuds and that would put a stop to that!
It wasn’t so much throwing his weight around rather unnecessary verbals but he’ll learn
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:18 am
mightymouse wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:11 am It’s easy in this day and age for these big boys to throw their weight about in tbe hand bags push ing and shoving …makes them look good .. back in the day some gnarled old prop would have just belted them and they would have gone down like a sack of spuds and that would put a stop to that!
It wasn’t so much throwing his weight around rather unnecessary verbals but he’ll learn
Aye because there was never any verbals back in the day. That Austin Healey was quiet as a mouse...

The pushing and shoving has replaced the well placed cheap shot because of the TMO. You can't go and drop someone like a sack of spuds but you can under their skin and put them off their game. Plenty of the best locks in the world do it, not just locks plenty of the best forwards in the world do it. Ellis Genge being a case in point.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:22 pm
Aye because there was never any verbals back in the day. That Austin Healey was quiet as a mouse...

The pushing and shoving has replaced the well placed cheap shot because of the TMO. You can't go and drop someone like a sack of spuds but you can under their skin and put them off their game. Plenty of the best locks in the world do it, not just locks plenty of the best forwards in the world do it. Ellis Genge being a case in point.
I don’t even think any of players mentioned would be stupid enough to go up to the opposition hooker and congratulate him on his not straight throw right in front of the ref, when refs are cracking down. Could have mentioned it to him at the next scrum
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:30 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:22 pm

I don’t even think any of players mentioned would be stupid enough to go up to the opposition hooker and congratulate him on his not straight throw right in front of the ref, when refs are cracking down. Could have mentioned it to him at the next scrum
Yes, like most of the dark arts it's always best to do it out of the view or hearing of the officials.