Post by poshtiger »

By residence ? Just asking Eddie ?? :smt041 :smt054
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Is Hanro qualified for England

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not yet November this year I think

Edit this he arrived from the Bulls in summer 2019, so assuming it’s still 4 years residential qualification it would be the November 23 tests.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Awesome performance today ..Brilliant player

In no way do I begrudge Jasper as he has be amazing all season and has often missed out on MOM but today Thiught Hanro deserved MOM
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Why would we want skippy to break him, let him have the summer off and go home to his family.Might just be club captain next season.............................................maybe........................................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

The Berg is a monster of a player and would walk into most international teams, SA just have an endless supply of talent at flanker but hopefully he will get the nod one day, he is still young too!!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

No, he played for SA under 20s when they were a capture team so will never be eligible.

He came in summer 2019 so would be 2024 if they wiped the all the U-20 captures (which I think they might have done retrospectively).
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:06 pm No, he played for SA under 20s when they were a capture team so will never be eligible.

He came in summer 2019 so would be 2024 if they wiped the all the U-20 captures (which I think they might have done retrospectively).
Not sure that’s right SK88, surely it’s the same as Dan Kelly playing for Ireland u20s. Also qualification rules have recently changed where with significant gap you can play for more than one nation.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:23 pm
sk 88 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:06 pm No, he played for SA under 20s when they were a capture team so will never be eligible.

Not sure that’s right SK88, surely it’s the same as Dan Kelly playing for Ireland u20s. Also qualification rules have recently changed where with significant gap you can play for more than one nation.
Nope, you nominate who your second choice side is & for many years South Africa nominated their under 20s precisely to "capture" more players. Ireland have never used the U-20s to capture players, they used the Irish Wolfhounds (Ireland A).

Secondly, you can only play for a second nation that you qualify for by birth/heritage. You cannot switch nations on residency. So for instance Freddie Burns could play for Ireland.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Nope, you nominate who your second choice side is & for many years South Africa nominated their under 20s precisely to "capture" more players. Ireland have never used the U-20s to capture players, they used the Irish Wolfhounds (Ireland A).

Secondly, you can only play for a second nation that you qualify for by birth/heritage. You cannot switch nations on residency. So for instance Freddie Burns could play for Ireland.
Yes ,the residency rule was squashed this year. It was going to be amended to 5 years at one stage but then they decided to scrap it altogether
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sk 88 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Thank you for the clarification I wasn’t aware of that. With a name like Liebenberg he may decide to turn out for the Dutch.
poshtiger

Post by poshtiger »

Thanks for clearing this up. More the happy that our next captain plays every week for us. Hopefully has no Celtic cousins :smt042
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I always thought it wrong that countries could nominate their age group sides to tie players.
For me it should be senior only (be that a B side such as the Saxons)

Juniors are just that and for that reason should not be bound by choices they make. Too easy to have your head turned by promises of international rugby only to find you are tied when you become a senior.

If the country doen't have a secont tier senior team then it shouldn't be able to tie in numerous juniors. The west country is an example where children go to school on either side of the border and may well go through junior rugby in either country.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:50 am I always thought it wrong that countries could nominate their age group sides to tie players.
For me it should be senior only (be that a B side such as the Saxons)

Juniors are just that and for that reason should not be bound by choices they make. Too easy to have your head turned by promises of international rugby only to find you are tied when you become a senior.

If the country doen't have a secont tier senior team then it shouldn't be able to tie in numerous juniors. The west country is an example where children go to school on either side of the border and may well go through junior rugby in either country.
That rule changed so age group sides can't now be used (but Hanro played prior to that coming in for SA U20's)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Need Hanro to be free to play as with all our call ups we need him. True class.