Wiese

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Wiese

Post by Soggypitch »

Just read the news article about Wiese and well deserved is his place in the Boks squad.

But when will he ever get any rest? Three Tests v Wales in July then the small matter of home and away fixtures v Australia, NZ and Argentina in August/September.

When will he return to us and more particularly when will he be available, because surely he must have some downtime!!
Soggypitch
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Wiese

Post by Scott1 »

Soggypitch wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:37 pm Just read the news article about Wiese and well deserved is his place in the Boks squad.

But when will he ever get any rest? Three Tests v Wales in July then the small matter of home and away fixtures v Australia, NZ and Argentina in August/September.

When will he return to us and more particularly when will he be available, because surely he must have some downtime!!
And then there's the AI! I'd say we won't see him for the first couple of months of next season and he will rest between RC and AI
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:52 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:37 pm Just read the news article about Wiese and well deserved is his place in the Boks squad.

And then there's the AI! I'd say we won't see him for the first couple of months of next season and he will rest between RC and AI
Why the signings of Jansen and Cracknell are so key I think. And the full return to fitness of MvS. That’s what makes Hanro so valuable - all round availability for such a quality player!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:55 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Why the signings of Jansen and Cracknell are so key I think. And the full return to fitness of MvS. That’s what makes Hanro so valuable - all round availability for such a quality player!
Yes looking forward to seeing all those 3!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I rate Jasper very highly and don't wish to do him down here but I could see Evan Roos potentially usurping him as Vermuelen's long term heir. Roos looks an incredible talent. Monstrous in contact but pace to burn if he makes a break.

Wiese has been a brilliant signing and has improved markedly in defence here. I think conditioning is a big part of that - another feather in Aled's cap.

At club level that head down, ball in one arm and run into a brick wall 20 times a match has been invaluable for Tigers getting over the gain line. He's exactly what Tigers had been missing for so long in that regard.

At international level his carrying has been nullified a bit by the much stronger fringe defences though. When watching Wiese for the Boks I think his lack of passing game makes him an easier target for stronger defences. If Jasper gets the ball he's probably going to run straight into someone. Strong international defences have just chopped him down though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ABClub wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:10 pm I rate Jasper very highly and don't wish to do him down here but I could see Evan Roos potentially usurping him as Vermuelen's long term heir. Roos looks an incredible talent. Monstrous in contact but pace to burn if he makes a break.

Wiese has been a brilliant signing and has improved markedly in defence here. I think conditioning is a big part of that - another feather in Aled's cap.

At club level that head down, ball in one arm and run into a brick wall 20 times a match has been invaluable for Tigers getting over the gain line. He's exactly what Tigers had been missing for so long in that regard.

At international level his carrying has been nullified a bit by the much stronger fringe defences though. When watching Wiese for the Boks I think his lack of passing game makes him an easier target for stronger defences. If Jasper gets the ball he's probably going to run straight into someone. Strong international defences have just chopped him down though.
Elrigh Louw for me. Been part of one of the worlds best club back rows this season and has took to 8 like a duck to water considering he started out as a lock and played blindside last season
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Elrigh Louw looks pretty handy at the Bulls as well. The Boks aren't short of young 8s emerging as contenders.

Weise has certainly developed considerably since he's been here. He's picking better lines for his carriers and his discipline is vastly improved. I think Borthwick will get more out of him yet.