Premiership Final v Saracens - 18th June 2022 KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Final v Saracens - 18th June 2022 KO 15:00

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Squidge rugby, finally after copyright issues has got his analysis of the final uploaded...

Well worth a watch

https://youtu.be/q69qrdoVd0U
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Enjoyed Squidges breakdown! Was interesting how Borths tactically outthought McCall ,and then when McCall countered that Borths had an answer too. Great stuff!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:27 pm Squidge rugby, finally after copyright issues has got his analysis of the final uploaded...

Well worth a watch

top class analysis and fun too! really interesting comments about us picking out Billy V in back field as he can't/wouldn't kick so would only run so despite him gaining metres over the game (much to the TV comms team delight) they were to our advantage as we kept them pinned back. Also clocking how we kept Itoje out of the game particularly at the end - if true amazing how the players could keep such clarity of purpose going right the the final whistle. Really wish the BT commentary could pick out these kind of tactical details in the game rather than focussing on the few people who they desperately want to have an impact regardless of whether they do. Rugby is so much more about team tactics than individual sparks of brilliance
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:08 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:27 pm Squidge rugby, finally after copyright issues has got his analysis of the final uploaded...

Well worth a watch

top class analysis and fun too! really interesting comments about us picking out Billy V in back field as he can't/wouldn't kick so would only run so despite him gaining metres over the game (much to the TV comms team delight) they were to our advantage as we kept them pinned back. Also clocking how we kept Itoje out of the game particularly at the end - if true amazing how the players could keep such clarity of purpose going right the the final whistle. Really wish the BT commentary could pick out these kind of tactical details in the game rather than focussing on the few people who they desperately want to have an impact regardless of whether they do. Rugby is so much more about team tactics than individual sparks of brilliance
The Squidge Rugby Podcast is great but he does watch the game several times and gets to slow mo sections and rewind several times etc. BT don't get that luxury when they are doing it live.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Well worth a watch

Healey is about the only one BT have who can pick out the little snippets and they seem to keep him under the table!
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Well worth a watch

Brilliant analysis. Makes you even prouder of the whole set up and togetherness. Make a plan, stick to it. Had another little moment at the end for Freddie again, too. COYT x
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:21 pm

Well worth a watch

The Squidge Rugby Podcast is great but he does watch the game several times and gets to slow mo sections and rewind several times etc. BT don't get that luxury when they are doing it live.
Fair point but I would counter that they have commentators like Austin who can see what's going on in real time but hardly use him on tactical points - he seems to only be there to do the TMO's job! perhaps if they had more recent pro players on the comms team and used more graphics like they do in football they could improve presentation on this side of the game. I do realise its not for everyone but i am far more interested in tactics than I am a close up of the likes of Earl gurning and Smith brushing his hair!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerXV wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:53 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:21 pm

Fair point but I would counter that they have commentators like Austin who can see what's going on in real time but hardly use him on tactical points - he seems to only be there to do the TMO's job! perhaps if they had more recent pro players on the comms team and used more graphics like they do in football they could improve presentation on this side of the game. I do realise its not for everyone but i am far more interested in tactics than I am a close up of the likes of Earl gurning and Smith brushing his hair!
For me, I'm only interested in the tactical side of things pre game,HT and FT. I could tear the hair I havnt got out the amount of times they do look at things again and they miss live play!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Found the Squidge rugby analysis fascinating, especially after all the criticism of us kicking ball away (my blind spot too, alas).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I agree they should not miss live play, but I do like Austin’s tactical comments when he does make them, and he makes better ones than others.
I looked at the BT Sport tries of the season programme last night and the editing made much of the running lines and evasion/making space impossible to appreciate which individuals were seen in closeup running with a ball. Totally lost the art of rugby in the attempt to build cults of personality!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Offside wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:51 pm I agree they should not miss live play, but I do like Austin’s tactical comments when he does make them, and he makes better ones than others.
I looked at the BT Sport tries of the season programme last night and the editing made much of the running lines and evasion/making space impossible to appreciate which individuals were seen in closeup running with a ball. Totally lost the art of rugby in the attempt to build cults of personality!
I agree that live play shouldn't suffer, but there's a whole new generation of analysts out there (like squidge) that take tactics and data and can articulate it really well.

There definitely should be a a place for it, whether at halftime or fulltime.

I remember when Simon Hughes brought data and analysis to cricket, was initially just the odd cut to him in a truck, now it's seamlessly integrated into each segment reviewing play.

The new generation of fans live in a data driven world, rugby needs to embrace this, not just rely on Healey picking things up. The sooner one of the major networks gives the likes of Squidge or his colleagues (and just glimpse at social media there are a lot of them) a shot on a major broadcaster the better.

Can't just rely on Healey for doing it all...
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:01 pm
Offside wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:51 pm I agree they should not miss live play, but I do like Austin’s tactical comments when he does make them, and he makes better ones than others.
I agree that live play shouldn't suffer, but there's a whole new generation of analysts out there (like squidge) that take tactics and data and can articulate it really well.

I remember when Simon Hughes brought data and analysis to cricket, was initially just the odd cut to him in a truck, now it's seamlessly integrated into each segment reviewing play.

The new generation of fans live in a data driven world, rugby needs to embrace this, not just rely on Healey picking things up. The sooner one of the major networks gives the likes of Squidge or his colleagues (and just glimpse at social media there are a lot of them) a shot on a major broadcaster the better.

totally agree! given that the ball is in play for a only a fraction of the game time it shouldn't be difficult to drop analysis in without missing any of the 'in play' time. Pre/half time and end of game chat should certainly be able to cover tactics in just as much detail as tries which in many cases are just as much to do with breaking down defensive tactics as to player skill (or just poor tackling)
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:01 pm

I'm surprised BT or BBC (6N) haven't snapped up Squidge for an in-depth midweek highlights package. Have your standard highlights out on the Monday and then Wednesday/Thursday have the analyst hour or whatever where he goes through and does his thing. Could even use him as a preview analyst with things to look out for, for the coming weekends action. Let him put that on his channel as well as on BT to drum up interest in the games.

There's a lot that could be done with the different style of sport consumption he (and others) are offering.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

https://twitter.com/TightFive_Rugby/sta ... fHoxA&s=19

As the year draws to the close, no matter what we have this moment, this win!
RAFPBATIGER

Post by RAFPBATIGER »

Thank you so very much for that. Top start to the New Year. Have a great one folks. 🇮🇹🐯🏉