Premiership Final v Saracens - 18th June 2022 KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PIEANDAPINT
Tiger Cub

Re: Premiership Final v Saracens - 18th June 2022 KO 15:00

Post by PIEANDAPINT »

What a fantastic result! Quite rightly the focus has been on the coaching expertise, defensive skills, fitness and player/ game management. For me of equal if not greater importance has been the change in attitude - mental toughness, self belief and sheer determination. When Farrell made it 12-12 and we were down to 14 men there would not have been many Tigers fans who were optimistic about the final outcome. The way the boys regrouped and took it back to Sarries for the final couple of minutes or so was brilliant and well worth watching again and again.SB and co have reinstalled and built onthe character and spirit of the Tigers of old! Real respect, admiration and thanks!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Three key moments in the game for me.

Yes we managed to score two tries when Sarries had a man in the bin, but everyone said that the tackle was a straight red all day long. Barnes bottled that call and could’ve made a huge difference.

We’d already missed 5 points and then in the second half to go to the corner was a massive call. To then come away with nothing I had a bad feeling.

Lastly, Sarries scrum with us down to 14 men. Shocked they didn’t back themselves to go for the try. At that point I thought it was all over. For us to then go on for the drop goal was pure magic and couldn’t have haven’t to a better bloke than Burns.

Right result in the end though. We were the best team all season. Also felt we were the better team on the day for 70 minutes or so.

Everyone had great games. But thought Chessum was immense in the pack. Coming of age performance that and could see him now being integral in the England set up for the WC.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:27 am Three key moments in the game for me.

Yes we managed to score two tries when Sarries had a man in the bin, but everyone said that the tackle was a straight red all day long. Barnes bottled that call and could’ve made a huge difference.

We’d already missed 5 points and then in the second half to go to the corner was a massive call. To then come away with nothing I had a bad feeling.

Lastly, Sarries scrum with us down to 14 men. Shocked they didn’t back themselves to go for the try. At that point I thought it was all over. For us to then go on for the drop goal was pure magic and couldn’t have haven’t to a better bloke than Burns.

Right result in the end though. We were the best team all season. Also felt we were the better team on the day for 70 minutes or so.

Everyone had great games. But thought Chessum was immense in the pack. Coming of age performance that and could see him now being integral in the England set up for the WC.
The fitness of the Tigers also gave us the edge, at 60 minutes most players on the pitch were blowing, for tigers to control the ball up the pitch and not get isolated or turned over was top notch. The coolness of Burns to execute the kick again was fantastic.

A deserved win against a Sarries team full of internationals in the mould of Leinster. A day to remember for the players, staff and fans!!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Aled W and Kevin S are rightly lauded for their respective roles: both the fitness and defence of our players was immense. It's teamwork innit?!
Without disrespecting any of those previously in such roles, the change in fortunes of the club seems to be in no small measure down to the coaching team. We've always had talented players, but my suspicion was we simply weren't getting 100% out of them. This has changed, and I think that many quality players at all stages of their careers will be attracted to Leicester Tigers because of that.
Here's looking forward to what I hope will be a successful next couple of years.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Well done to all concerned - they got just about everything right. Credit to Burns for keeping cool and slotting the DG but also as an ex-SH in my later years, I feel great credit to Ben for the setup. He bought Freddie an extra split second by the slightest dummy pass from the ruck. That made the defence check and step back and in that instant, he fired the pass to Burns and stopped the defence from getting to him. Brilliant piece of play.
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I said for a long time that I was sure a ref decision was going to decide the game and I’m so glad Barnes none red didn’t,but it could’ve! Still in dreamland
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

Burns live on Instagram off his head lol and saying he's going to be on the 10:58 train from harborough into Leicester with the trophy!!!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:01 pm

Not going to comment on the yellow cards, thought Barnes had a decent game although Sarries did seem to get away with a lot of slowing the ball down but hey ho.. overall can't complain.
I will - one was a straight red under current laws. - no arm tackle, with force, straight to the head with no mitigation.

The other yellow was someone standing in the defensive line not actually making a tackle. Vunipola tackled by one of our players and fell onto our player who was stationary. That's an accidental, unavoidable collision. Not a true tackle that needed to be controlled in terms of safe impact.

The first was the ref bottling it. The second was a mistake with none of the other officials prepared to put the alternative pespective.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

This was a game Sarries definitely could have won and will feel was snatched away from them. The expressions on their faces at the end were of utter shock, before the tears cut in. Farrell as a professional came out and faced the cameras. Who’d be a captain?

Watching it live it went past so quickly. Like others I will definitely need a rewatch to get a better feel for how good we were, but it did seem our second row must have confounded those who thought Isiekwe and Itoje would dominate. Here’s hoping we keep Moroni, who had another outstanding game yesterday.

Sarries did well to cling on for so long, but I think when they were trying to up the pace in the last quarter half their team was out in its feet - credit to Walters- and I am pretty confident if it had gone to extra time we would still have won.

Really can’t pick a man of the match, but probably would have gone for Burns for his semi and final performances in two different positions. But the entire Tiger’s squad deserved this, and it was great to see them all out on the pitch, including the Youngs family.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 am I said for a long time that I was sure a ref decision was going to decide the game and I’m so glad Barnes none red didn’t,but it could’ve! Still in dreamland
Yeah there defiantly seemed to be something up yesterday with all the finals having incidents that would have probably have been red cards earlier in the season, and the games ended up being better for it not being a undue influence on the game.

If Davies would have been red carded there would have always been an excuse for Sarries losing, fortunately there are no if and or buts.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerReggie wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:31 am Burns live on Instagram off his head lol and saying he's going to be on the 10:58 train from harborough into Leicester with the trophy!!!
Freddie loves instagram
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:37 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:21 am I said for a long time that I was sure a ref decision was going to decide the game and I’m so glad Barnes none red didn’t,but it could’ve! Still in dreamland
Yeah there defiantly seemed to be something up yesterday with all the finals having incidents that would have probably have been red cards earlier in the season, and the games ended up being better for it not being a undue influence on the game.

If Davies would have been red carded there would have always been an excuse for Sarries losing, fortunately there are no if and or buts.
Barnes even had the nerve to say Scotts was the same as the first one! 🤦
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

For me Barnes bottled it for the 2nd week running when it comes to red carding any Saracens player. The fact that it would have decided the game does not change the letter of the law which he failed to adhere to.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:40 am

For me Barnes bottled it for the 2nd week running when it comes to red carding any Saracens player. The fact that it would have decided the game does not change the letter of the law which he failed to adhere to.
Yes ,the idea that giving a red would spoil the final is ridiculous! If it’s red it’s red!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Best atmosphere at a final I have ever been to it was just like Welford Rd but even louder the support was incredible and dwarfed the Saracens support. Some game and an epic season finale. For me the victory omen was set when our coach pulled into the car park a very scantily clad young lady waving a Saracens Flag decided to direct frankly highly inappropriate obscene gestures and hurl some ripe abusive language at us. Trust she enjoyed her day, ours was unforgettable for all the right reasons. Loved this season the most enjoyable and incredible I have ever witnessed.