Premiership Final v Saracens - 18th June 2022 KO 15:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Premiership Final v Saracens - 18th June 2022 KO 15:00

Post by CJ »

Simply wonderful day. Just got home and with glass of wine in hand am going to watch it all again.
That drop goal was superb. Hats off to Freddie (and yes, thank goodness it wasn’t Flood). We love you, Freddie!

Lovely to see Tom and Ben and their children posing for photos down at the corner of the West and South stands - got a good view as I was near there.

We won 22 of the 26 Premiership matches we played. We finished top. We scored two tries to their zero. Nuff sed.

Still on a high and will be for days. Weeks even, months even.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I made probably one of the worst decisions in my life when I dithered as to whether to go or not and came down on not going, Broken down car weighed heavily on my mind.

Wow what a fantastic result, every player played out of their skins, like I said previously, SB selected a team that could defend all over the pitch, the way they covered for each other was brilliant.

My wife and I were both cut up when Tom came on the pitch at the end, what that bloke has been through, terrible.

2nd worse decision was made today by Farrell, we were down to 14 men, about 4 minutes remaining instead of going for the corner he chose to level up the scores. If they had gone for the corner, with a man advantage, they would surely have created an overlap and scored, running down the clock.
As it was he hurried the kick at goal, levelled the scores and this took the immediate pressure off us, giving us the advantage of kicking off downfield and gaining us territory. We didnt need to defend with 1 man short, we attacked, hoped for a penalty and sure enough we gained space for Freddie to score that incredible drop goal.
Oh how I love it when Sarries lose, Farrell, Itoje etc and have mediocre games.
Brilliant Tigers, :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 (I even watched on TV with 2 Saints supporters who were very supportive of us, yes 1 is my daughter so ....... :smt005 )
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’m home and for the second week running now drinking champagne( which I don’t really like!).
Pleased for the whole club but especially Freddie.
Quins fans all around me were cheering for us, so thanks.
Farrel too, take a bow! Great interview when he must have been gutted.
Fantastic too to see Tom Youngs smiling.
Thanks Tigers. Outstanding effort.
Red White and Green

Post by Red White and Green »

Up the Tigers 🏆 🐯 ❤️ 🤍 💚 great game and a fantastic team performance.
Unlucky Salarycens.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

at work tonight really looking forward to the Rugby Paper arriving at the depot, may have to find a copy of Monday's mercury when I go in Monday night
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Watching Farrell today thinking he is a wannabe Beauden Barrett with his comedy offloads, England need to let Smith have the fly half mantle and bomb this idiot back to the super league :smt023
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

baz1664 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:31 pm Watching Farrell today thinking he is a wannabe Beauden Barrett with his comedy offloads, England need to let Smith have the fly half mantle and bomb this idiot back to the super league :smt023
Farrell is such a dominating character that is he's not playing 10 you have to leave him out of the side as otherwise you just end up with Ford or Smith as an undersized 12
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Back home now in Oxfordshire, no voice. Wondering if we'd blown it then, minutes later, Freddie slotting that divine dropped goal. In tears, even more when Tom came on. What a game, what a team: from where we were to where we are now: the most successful rugby club. Go, summer: I want to be back in the Crumbie!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

PW73 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:17 pm Don't think I have ever contributed on here before despite my first match at Welford Road being 1970 Baabaas game (!) and was a member (Crumbie terrace) for 28 years (until Covid struck!!) but thanks for all the wonderful comments on here keeping me up to date, especially all the games not on BT Sport. Some great comments on the wonderful victory today. New dawn for Tigers - roll on next season - back to the Crumbie for me!!
Excellent! Welcome back.
I had my first visit for 2 1/2 years for the semi-final (afraid of covid). It is a joyful place again, as it was in our old glory days, so it is in our new.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Best day of my rugby life. Incredible atmosphere. As dramatic as it gets. I didn't think the Hipkiss moment could be topped but Freddie might've just done it.

I could not believe how many Tigers fan were there compared to Sarries. It was almost embarrassing! Felt like a home game!

And to the folk who started the Country Road anthem... take a bow. Singing that at the end was magical!
bendy

Post by bendy »

Just home. I'm not afraid to say I cried at full time - the emotion of the drop goal, everything the team have gone through and the Youngs family issues all hit me at once.

What. A. Game. Where are the London press now? What happened to their darlings?

I'm so proud of our lads. One to twenty three.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Just finished watching.. What a game, cracking match and there is no better way to wipe the smirks off Earl and Farrell's faces than with a winning drop goal in the 80th minute! Lovely stuff..

Not going to comment on the yellow cards, thought Barnes had a decent game although Sarries did seem to get away with a lot of slowing the ball down but hey ho.. overall can't complain.

Was sad to lose Ford but Freddie has just had such a good season and what a way to seal the win.. beautiful!

Wigglesworth silenced his critics today, top class performance and set us up nicely for that win.

How about that turnover by Reffell.. you know the one I mean.. just insane! And that 50/22! Magic!

50 minutes gone and Sarries hadn't got into our 22 ball in hand and we out scored them 2 tried to 0.. yep, I'll take that! Maul and scrum defnitely second best but defence wins matches as they say and ours certainly had a huge impact again today.. Sir Kev :smt038

Another good outing for Porter at 12 I thought.

Steward just world class again today.

Don't think Heyes and Leatigaga added much when they came on but to be fair our scrum was on the back foot most of the match.

Sarries can be happy with that.. I mean, not many teams that come up from the Championship would expect to be in a Premiership final in their first season in the top flight! :smt002

Well done lads, great game, record breaking season and Tigers are back! Fortress WR :smt027 top of the table every round, a great run in Europe and the PRC and now Premiership Champions :smt038 :smt038
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

What a fabulous day. Amongst the standouts for me were RWW, who was masterful in his control (perhaps his finest performance for Tigers?) and Ollie Chessum (to be honest I thought before the game that 2nd row would be the biggest mismatch (in Sarries favour), and I got that completely wrong.

Would also note Owen Farrell’s gracious comments at the end - and the similarly magnanimous responses of the Sarries fans around us. We ended up in a block that was around 80% Saracens and they were great company from beginning to end. I know that for some they’ll always be ‘the evil empire’ - but for me it’s maybe time to move on from that and just appreciate a find rugby team!
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

I have never seen Twickenham so dominated by one team's fans and It was the best experience I've had there by a distance. It seemed like 3/4 of us were Tigers supporters and it was amazing to be part of an incredible energy which seemed to have taken over the stadium. You could see just how many we were for the post-match celebrations, which went on for ever. We went from delirium when Freddie nailed the drop goal to tears all round from the final whistle to the presentation. A match that was right up there in the pantheon of the great Tigers wins.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

chris111 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:07 pm Would also note Owen Farrell’s gracious comments at the end - and the similarly magnanimous responses of the Sarries fans around us. We ended up in a block that was around 80% Saracens and they were great company from beginning to end. I know that for some they’ll always be ‘the evil empire’ - but for me it’s maybe time to move on from that and just appreciate a find rugby team!
Wasn't just Farrell, McCall and George and I'm sure many others so all credit to them. I dislike Sarries more than just about any other side but I have no doubt about what a top class outfit they are. Well drilled and exceptional at what they do.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!