Under 23 league

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Under 23 league

Post by Rugbygramps »

Article quoting Mark McCall, but saying The Premierships leading coaches, saying that an under 23 league is required to unlock the bottleneck of young talent, or English rugby risks falling further behind Europe.
On Instagram by Ballcarrier
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Under 23 league

Post by RagingBull »

Would make things easier for clubs than a stupid prem cup.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes ,I like it! With a maximum of 3 over 23 allowed in the matchday 23 to allow back for injuries etc and keep players getting game time
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Could’ve had this season
1. Whitcombe
2. Vanes
3. Hurd
4. Manz
5. Henderson
6. Agbongbon
7. Ilione
8. Jansen
9. Edwards
10. Meredith
11. Browning
12. Lancaster
13. Woodward
14. Cusick
15. Walsh

16. Loanee
17. Rowntree
18. Hoyt
19. Carnduff
20. Owen
21. Law
22. Loose
23. _____
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

And because it’s about getting game time and developing players clubs wouldn’t feel the need to play a Steward or a JVP as they are getting plenty of time on the paddock
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:44 am And because it’s about getting game time and developing players clubs wouldn’t feel the need to play a Steward or a JVP as they are getting plenty of time on the paddock
Exactly, plus is means that players who are called up due to injury are more likely match sharp.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

I like the idea in general. But would it be susceptible to the cancellations we’ve seen in the A League? And the bringing in of loanees like in the Premiership Rugby Cup?

At a time when squads are getting smaller, and if injuries add up, I can see games getting cancelled left right and centre. Which does nothing for the integrity of the competition.

That said, if the goal is to give young players game time, then cancellations shouldn’t matter.
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

No6_Flanker wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:00 pm I like the idea in general. But would it be susceptible to the cancellations we’ve seen in the A League? And the bringing in of loanees like in the Premiership Rugby Cup?

At a time when squads are getting smaller, and if injuries add up, I can see games getting cancelled left right and centre. Which does nothing for the integrity of the competition.

That said, if the goal is to give young players game time, then cancellations shouldn’t matter.
Good points but there will always be issues no matter what is introduced
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:03 am Article quoting Mark McCall, but saying The Premierships leading coaches, saying that an under 23 league is required to unlock the bottleneck of young talent, or English rugby risks falling further behind Europe.
On Instagram by Ballcarrier
The reason the welsh teams left the anglo welsh cup was just this, they asked for it to be a proper under 23 development competition but PRL said no !
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I suppose that if you had a formal Under 23 league then that would be the end of the Premiership Cup as that is where the early round teams are picked from. Sadly I suspect that an under 23 league would have little interest to the TV companies (they don't even show football under first team level) whereas the option to play who you like in a team keeps some TV revenue coming in from the current cup tournament. At the moment I cannot see how to add another set of fixtures or why you woudl ditch a competition with some income for one that would have very little. I actually think that if you formally restricted the Premiership Cup to development players, even if they make up most of the teams in reality, you would lose TV interest, crowd interest and perhaps even the need to play the matches at the main stadium.

When funds are tight in the game, as they are for rugby, everything has to be assessed by cost and revenue just as much as it would need to be judged on the benefit to the players going forward.

I can, for example, see a benefit of each club being invited to bring a second string team, assuming we have one available as well, to be played after a home game when we are already spending on staff, stewards, utilities etc. Not part of a league or anything, just a chance for a run out
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The Premier Cup is what it is, a competition for squad players in the main taking place when England stars are unavailable, it is we the fans who have labled it a development competition. I think an under 23 league a good idea to replace the A League, for me I would include a maximum of four overage players to give injured first teamers game time prior to a return and also for the young players to learn from on the pitch.