Proposed changes to semi finals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Farmboy

Re: Proposed changes to semi finals

Post by Farmboy »

Ashurstwoodtiger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:08 pm Emailed PRL yesterday regarding having Trophy awarded to Club finishing top of League. Recieved reply today

Hope all is well. Thank you for your email. We do appreciate you dropping us a line with your thoughts.

Gallagher Premiership Rugby is one continuous competition … league phase, semi-finals and a final.

We don’t have play-offs but rather one continuous competition.

I do understand the point you make but there are no plans to change the structure or award different trophies.

That would of course be a decision for our clubs if any change was made.

Kind Regards

Paul

Interesting maybe all Clubs should ask for Trophy for League winners or is it only us fans that feel the need?

Always thought that if somebody more capable than myself could set up crowdfunded, or similar, for supporters to donate to buy a nice piece of Oak inscribed with "Supporters Trophy" or appropriate & league leaders after last day of season. It would be up to the winning club to inscribe their name & pass it on to the next winner.

As no sponsorship no competition for Prem Rugby & would like to think to some clubs it would mean more as from supporters
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

chewbacca wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:07 pm Here's a novel idea. Lets declare the team that finishes top at the end of the season as champions.
How dare you suggest such a sensible idea! Now go and sit in the corner and think about what you’ve done! :smt018 :smt002

This is my thought too.. kind of makes the season more worthwhile in so much as people fight to the end unlike Sarries sticking out a B team and accepting 2nd place. Would at least like some recognition for the team that finishes top at the very least
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Always thought that if somebody more capable than myself could set up crowdfunded, or similar, for supporters to donate to buy a nice piece of Oak inscribed with "Supporters Trophy" or appropriate & league leaders after last day of season. It would be up to the winning club to inscribe their name & pass it on to the next winner.
Tiff’s Trophy?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Am I right in saying that the play offs were originally introduced because it gave those teams that suffered international call ups a chance to catch up, or is that just in my imagination
SuperEagle
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by SuperEagle »

See, I think that new ideas should be explored. Widening the appeal of rugby is a good thing.

A double-header at say St James' Park or Anfield (not London) could be brilliant, but the negatives of this outweigh the benefits. People have listed a few, but the main one for me is that you take away the home semi incentive leading to a lot more dead rubbers in the season

Good to think about new ideas - but this one is a net negative
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Why not go full French and make it a three stage process? 3rd plays 6th for the right to play 2nd, while 4th plays 5th for the right to play 1st. Meaning 1st and. 2nd get a bye week. Have I got that right Robespierre?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:42 pm Am I right in saying that the play offs were originally introduced because it gave those teams that suffered international call ups a chance to catch up, or is that just in my imagination
You’re right
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Terrible idea! 🚮
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Grimlish wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:25 pm Why not go full French and make it a three stage process? 3rd plays 6th for the right to play 2nd, while 4th plays 5th for the right to play 1st. Meaning 1st and. 2nd get a bye week. Have I got that right Robespierre?
Yes, you have!
On Saturday, 4th placed Toulouse are at home to 5th placed La Rochelle, the winner plays 1st placed Castres in the first semi-final, and on Sunday, 3rd placed Bordeaux/Bègles play 6th placed Racing with the winner playing 2nd placed Montpellier in the second semi. The semi-finals are played on a neutral ground, this season they're in Nice.
Semper in excretia
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If all this kicks off then I will become an even more distant Tigers supporter. Thankfully, I have my local club "Shelford Peacocks" to go to. A great family orientated rugby club where I can watch the guys and gals enjoy their rugby, have a cracking pre-game lunch in great company - just as it should be, none of this money grabbin' mularky.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I wouldn't like it but it wouldn't change my feelings on Tigers whatsoever.
The only time I would ever contemplate walking away is if regions were introduced or the game was diluted that much and became another rugby league.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerCam wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:56 am If all this kicks off then I will become an even more distant Tigers supporter. Thankfully, I have my local club "Shelford Peacocks" to go to. A great family orientated rugby club where I can watch the guys and gals enjoy their rugby, have a cracking pre-game lunch in great company - just as it should be, none of this money grabbin' mularky.
It’s great that the Shelford Peacocks of this world still exist, as their demise was a direct result of professionalism as clubs pushed for promotion became more serious and many players stopped going to the bar afterwards
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Dokie wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:59 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:42 pm Am I right in saying that the play offs were originally introduced because it gave those teams that suffered international call ups a chance to catch up, or is that just in my imagination
You’re right
That’s not how I remember it and indeed the team who had suffered the most international call ups (Tigers) voted against the playoffs being used to decide league champions. The playoffs were introduced to raise some money and to stop Tigers from winning it every year.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

if there has to be play offs then the fairest option that I can think of is that the team finishing top automatically qualify for the final then there is a significant benefit to being number one. You can then play off in any way you like for whichever team earns the right to face them in the final.

That said, whilst sportingly more fair, it would lose that club a significant amount of income from not playing a semi final match and I guess at the moment it is get money where you can when you can. I suspect if you asked the club if they wanted a trophy now or the revenue from 1 or 2 more big matches, the revenue would be more important for the future.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

teds wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:32 pm
Dokie wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:59 pm
You’re right
That’s not how I remember it and indeed the team who had suffered the most international call ups (Tigers) voted against the playoffs being used to decide league champions. The playoffs were introduced to raise some money and to stop Tigers from winning it every year.
Not sure that’s right Teds, but fair enough if that’s how you remember