Ellis talks of his pride in the achievements

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Ellis talks of his pride in the achievements

Post by Old Hob »

Ellis gives an interview about his feelings around Tigers' resurgence.

Here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61716605

Earlier, In the Times, Courtney Lawes spoke about how Ellis had softened Eddie Jones' approach, telling him he didn't have to be full bore all the time. According to Lawes, Eddie listened and has taken it on board,

Top marks Ellis; such a pity you feel you have to leave.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
bakerman
Tiger Cub

Re: Ellis talks of his pride in the achievements

Post by bakerman »

Top bloke, will miss him.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I think we will miss his impact and influence very much and think he may regret his decision and maybe be back one day soon …not sure how we replace a player like Gengey or even try to …maybe just adapt the way we play instead ?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think we will adapt fine imo.

The biggest loss is as a ball carrier, considering Van Staden has missed a whole season nearly and he shouldn’t be selected for the boks he could potentially fill that gap.

We have played good rugby without him before I think Saturday will be the first saints game this season with him playing.

Leadership he will be a loss but unlike previous seasons it feels like we have a team of leaders even the younger lads coming through are all vocal leaders from what I have seen.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:24 am I think we will adapt fine imo.

The biggest loss is as a ball carrier, considering Van Staden has missed a whole season nearly and he shouldn’t be selected for the boks he could potentially fill that gap.

We have played good rugby without him before I think Saturday will be the first saints game this season with him playing.

Leadership he will be a loss but unlike previous seasons it feels like we have a team of leaders even the younger lads coming through are all vocal leaders from what I have seen.
Totally agree obviously we will miss him no club wouldn’t, but I think the reason he is leaving, very similar to Ford, will have meant that certainly off the field the leadership succession will be in place and the youngsters will have been encouraged to have their voice. On the field the emergence of Whitcombe and the excellent signing of Cronin will very much lessen the impact.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Big loss ,arguably Europe’s best LH certainly in the top 2. Proved during the 6N that he ticks every box,fantastic around the field v Wales then dominant in the tight v Ireland. But Whitcombe could be very good and Cronin is a superb LH too. Good luck Ellis!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

One thing is certain he will always have a warm welcome back at MWWR.
He is up there with the great loose heads of the last 25 years Wiggy and Ayerza
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:16 am One thing is certain he will always have a warm welcome back at MWWR.
Nowhere near them two players, both for the club or at test level! :smt002

Agree with RB, will miss his ball carrying and possibly leadership. But every player has their strengths and weaknesses. With Cronin whilst we miss out on the carrying is probably the better defensive player. So what we loose in one area we gain in another.

Montoya, Chessum, Lieb, MVS and Wiese are all still big carriers in the starting pack.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:24 am
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:16 am One thing is certain he will always have a warm welcome back at MWWR.

Agree with RB, will miss his ball carrying and possibly leadership. But every player has their strengths and weaknesses. With Cronin whilst we miss out on the carrying is probably the better defensive player. So what we loose in one area we gain in another.

Montoya, Chessum, Lieb, MVS and Wiese are all still big carriers in the starting pack.
Ayerza was arguably the best LH ever to play the game (no bias 😉)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:24 am

Agree to disagree certainly not a Ayerza level, I would put him on a par with Wiggy, but that’s my opinion.
I suppose my point is that we are known for the quality of our tightheads but we’ve had some pretty tidy loose heads too
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would go
1. Ayerza
2. Rowntree

3. Genge

Genge could’ve been above them all, but let’s be real the Ayerza and Rowntree will go down as club legends. Genge is only just hitting his prime which makes it all the more tougher.

But if England players are missing half the season next year then maybe not the worse thing club wise.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:38 am I would go
1. Ayerza
2. Rowntree

3. Genge

Genge could’ve been above them all, but let’s be real the Ayerza and Rowntree will go down as club legends. Genge is only just hitting his prime which makes it all the more tougher.

But if England players are missing half the season next year then maybe not the worse thing club wise.
100% agree.

Ayerza played almost 250 games for Tigers, was regarded by everyone as the best loosehead at the time and capped 66 times in what was a renowned Puma scrum.

Romwtree almost 400 games for Tigers. Starting loosehead in both our Heineken Cup wins. Went on 1997 and 2005 Lions tours. Over 50 Eng caps.

If Genge stayed then maybe in 5 years he might have been in the same bracket.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I was going more on their performance levels, but have to agree in terms of longevity in a tigers shirt and if Ellis had stayed.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:15 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:38 am I would go
1. Ayerza
2. Rowntree

3. Genge

100% agree.

Ayerza played almost 250 games for Tigers, was regarded by everyone as the best loosehead at the time and capped 66 times in what was a renowned Puma scrum.

Romwtree almost 400 games for Tigers. Starting loosehead in both our Heineken Cup wins. Went on 1997 and 2005 Lions tours. Over 50 Eng caps.

If Genge stayed then maybe in 5 years he might have been in the same bracket.
What is interesting with Ayerza is that the Argentinian team rated Roncero as the better scrummager, so it wasn’t uncommon to see Ayerza on the bench.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Even performance I would have Rowntree and Ayerza comfortably ahead currently.