Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:52 am Don't get me wrong, I think Ford is a class act, but to me, one of the biggest revelations this season has been Freddie Burns. Years ago, he was much more inconsistent than he is today: at times playing like the best 10 in the world, but at times not playing like that. I am thinking about certain England games particularly.
I wasn't initially convinced he was such an asset to the team as he has proved to be. I think coming on for Kelly yesterday was partly a reflection of his stature as an experienced, consistent operator. I don't know what his contract status is with Tigers, but I'd very much like to see him stay on next year.
Agreed Mark, he has been class and hopefully Gopperth will bring something similar to our backs division next season. Shrewd business on both counts.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I saw Ashton in an orange bib helping with the warm up. Didn't look injured to me. I would have him and leave Nadolo out of the 23.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I also thought some of the dodgy kicking was due to the wind. The linesman's flag was stiff one minute and limp the next (no jokes, please)
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:33 am I also thought some of the dodgy kicking was due to the wind. The linesman's flag was stiff one minute and limp the next (no jokes, please)
Healey made the point on commentary that the wind does swirl at MWWR
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

nicmattyg wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:35 pm
TigerReggie wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:33 pm Our lineout and attack been getting worse as season goes on. Kelly wasn't ready obviously. Porter lucky. Not convinced we'll survive being down to 14.
Agreed, we’ll see how much dog and fight we’ve got in us in this next 15/20 mins. Ford looked very poor, I’d consider taking him off and try burns at 10
Wow. I’m glad that never happened.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:43 am
Old Hob wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:33 am I also thought some of the dodgy kicking was due to the wind. The linesman's flag was stiff one minute and limp the next (no jokes, please)
Healey made the point on commentary that the wind does swirl at MWWR
The wind was quite strong in Saints favour in the first half and also the sun shining directly in the eyes of Steward. Second half remained the same for Tigers to use the conditions.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 am I saw Ashton in an orange bib helping with the warm up. Didn't look injured to me. I would have him and leave Nadolo out of the 23.
:smt023 good to hear he's not injured but I'd 100% have Nadolo in the squad for the final.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Our attack relies on big carries breaking the gain line and without Nadolo we don’t look as threatening ball in hand as options are limited outside the forwards.

As we know we don’t have masses of creativity and X factor backs to worry Sarries too much - admittedly the same could be said of their attack and our defence so it’ll be interesting to see what SB goes with.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:00 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:30 am
Nadolo wasn't moving freely in the warm up, not sure he was 100%. As the game went on I was more and more confident we'd get the win and Borthwick may well have been the same. Saints looked tired and the players we had on were doing the job.

Ashton wasn't in the warm up, we had quite a few there making up the numbers like Matt Scott but didn't spot Ashton. Didn't spot Whitcombe either but Richardson, Vanes and Chessum Jnr were all taking part.

I think we got through that game without really having to engage top gear. There are some concerns, mainly around the lineout because we won't be able to give away ball like that to Sarries. Maul defence was exceptional though.
Thanks Sam - that's helpful. Re fitness: I really do think Aled W needs to take a great deal of credit for our team NOT looking tired and lasting a full 80 mins...
Aled has been a great bit of recruitment. It's been a feature of our side that we can score points late in games and turn results around.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:14 am
Old Hob wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:21 am I saw Ashton in an orange bib helping with the warm up. Didn't look injured to me. I would have him and leave Nadolo out of the 23.
:smt023 good to hear he's not injured but I'd 100% have Nadolo in the squad for the final.
I don't agree with this, when he came on yesterday he looked over wight, he could hardly walk and put on a scrum cap, I don't think he is fit, where as Porter and Potter on the wings are quick, chase very well and get across and cover tackle so well, see Porters tackle yesterday. I think it will be Ashton and Potter, with Porter in the centre.
Yes Nadolo has 1 big attribute which we all love but he fails in so many others that I don't see how we can include him in a final.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

He went hard onto the end to be fair.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Nadolo has to be involved somewhere for me,our attack isn’t good enough to worry a defence like Sarries so we are gonna need some X factor. Even him running decoy lines fixes defences and you can have Ashton hitting the line later then. Although Scott runs some cracking lines too. We’ve been beating teams with a superior pack and fitness ,that won’t be enough v Sarries I’m afraid
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:20 am Having read some of the critical posts about the Tigers ( and Saints) during the game I’d like some of those posters to get down to the game to understand what happens!
1) This derby,(along with Gloucester v Bath and Munster v Leinster) is as good, if not better than any international in the Northern Hemisphere.
2) The atmosphere at the ground yesterday was sensation with proper fans from both sides giving their all just like their teams.
3) the fact it was Saints V Tigers brings different pressures and for a Tigers there was the added pressure piled on by everyone saying we’d win!
4) Many Saints fans, though gutted to have left, magnanimously said, “Obviously we are gutted to have lost but that was a proper derby full of passion, thunderous collisions and niggles like no other matches in the league.
5) After the week Tigers had had with the sad news about the wonderful Tiff, there was added pressure to “ win for Tom, her and Maisie. Maisie was probably our most enthusiastic fan yesterday, madly waving her flag and cheering the team on.
6) Kelly’s injury after only a few minutes caused a reshuffle and Burns again proved what a classy player he is with his creativity and incredible passion.
7) From sitting behind the posts, Saints scrum was hardly ever straight but fair play as the ref ( as is usual with him) let it go trying to get a flowing game.
Tigers know they haven’t played well in the last 3 weeks but have won.

Finally then, Sarries, yes, we will have to play better but now the pressure is off as to get to a final is beyond anyone’s dreams after the last few seasons. Although the last few games of last season hinted of a good campaign this season!
Now Tigers its time to peak. Hopefully, apart from Kelly, everyone will be fit.
A good week of training, no commenting to the press about what we will do then go out and give it one last shot.
And for me Ashton has to play. We need his running lines and speed.

We’ve won the most important final this season v Saints so we are Champions for now.
:smt023 :smt038
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:49 am
LE18 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:36 pm I agree with you very strongly, my reading of this thread, and most others is becoming very strained by the constant dialogue of criticism of refs decisions, comments every time we make the slightest of errors, are driven by negativity and very rarely any praise!
Not significantly disagreeing with you, but if you want to see criticism of refs decisions, try looking at Saints message board for yesterday's game!
Personally, I see nothing wrong with active discussion on both play and refs decisions as long as we are measured, not personally abusive and abide by the rules of the forum. We're all extremely passionate about our team, and a variety of comment is expected. I don't feel there is quite so much of a lean towards the negatives as you do, but sometimes people focus on the negatives out of frustration. We all want the team to do well, and we all applaud their success, which this year has been (frankly) well beyond what any of us might have predicted.
I am reminded of a player interview early in the season (I forget the details) where a comment was made that under SB the players know what they're supposed to be doing. Maybe this is a classic example of 'keep it simple' but, to his significant credit in my eyes, SB seems to have captured the essence of successful coaching and leadership.
I agree everyone is entitled to watch the games and comment. I don't want to continually be reading criticisms of refs, over and over and over again. It just seems to me that there is an element who watch every game and their main aim is to criticise the ref and it appears to me to score "points" whilst never having done the job.
Any way looking forward to next weeks match and living in hope of reading a balanced thread.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If a ref makes the wrong decision then he will be called out,if he makes the right one he will be praised. Posters on here even called out the harsh decisions against Saints so it is balanced.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer