Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Semi final v Saints - 11th June 2022 KO 4-30pm

Post by chris111 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:07 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:12 pm Just watching this back.

Anyone else find Dayglo irritating?
He still cannot disguise his hatred of anything to do with Tigers.
There’s plenty of things in life worth getting worked up about. Pundits on rugby commentary teams ain’t one of them for me. To be honest, in many matches I watch on TV it barely registers who is in the commentary team. There’s one or two I take notice of, but if they have someone who seems more interested in banter than insights, I find it easy enough to ignore. Beats allowing the irritation to spoil the enjoyment of the game!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

chris111 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:53 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:12 pm Just watching this back.

Anyone else find Dayglo irritating?
There’s plenty of things in life worth getting worked up about. Pundits on rugby commentary teams ain’t one of them for me. To be honest, in many matches I watch on TV it barely registers who is in the commentary team. There’s one or two I take notice of, but if they have someone who seems more interested in banter than insights, I find it easy enough to ignore. Beats allowing the irritation to spoil the enjoyment of the game!
I get what you're saying but when the TMO is clearly listening the the commentary and is easily swayed, impartiality becomes important.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ads wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:59 pm

I get what you're saying but when the TMO is clearly listening the the commentary and is easily swayed, impartiality becomes important.
I must admit I was surprised when I learnt that TMOs get to listen to the TV commentary. Whilst as experienced professionals I doubt they would be influenced, it would remove the risk if they were watching without commentary.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

chris111 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:30 pm

I must admit I was surprised when I learnt that TMOs get to listen to the TV commentary. Whilst as experienced professionals I doubt they would be influenced, it would remove the risk if they were watching without commentary.
During the review process with the ref, all audio is cut and they make the decision without any outside influence. The opinions of the commentators is not heard.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

But that it means the TMO also gets to hear the commentators drawing attention to those aspects like foul play that are not subject to review by the Referee.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

In cricket, if there is a doubtful decision and the players are considering a review, Sky don't show anything. Then, if the players decide not to review then Sky will review it anyway when it is too late to affect things.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:41 pm

During the review process with the ref, all audio is cut and they make the decision without any outside influence. The opinions of the commentators is not heard.
Thanks for clarifying
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

But up until the review is started the TMO gets the commentary. So, he doesn't necessarily see something but one of the pundits does and says: 'they really need to review that' etc.... :smt002
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:21 am

But up until the review is started the TMO gets the commentary. So, he doesn't necessarily see something but one of the pundits does and says: 'they really need to review that' etc.... :smt002
Yes so they could easily be swayed if the commentary is constantly one sided!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

It does seem to be part of Oz's job to look for things that might have missed by the other commentators and/or the officials. For example he knew which was the best angle to see Skosan's knock on, practically before any replay was shown on TV or to the officials.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:08 am It does seem to be part of Oz's job to look for things that might have missed by the other commentators and/or the officials. For example he knew which was the best angle to see Skosan's knock on, practically before any replay was shown on TV or to the officials.
I think he's pretty tech savvy.
Thing I'm not sure about is the 'poacher turned gamekeeper'?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:08 am It does seem to be part of Oz's job to look for things that might have missed by the other commentators and/or the officials. For example he knew which was the best angle to see Skosan's knock on, practically before any replay was shown on TV or to the officials.
Yes but how often does he say that’s definitely this or that on first viewing then have to correct himself
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Many will have their eyes on the match but from where I am located on matchdays, Austin appears to be looking at the screen in front of him rather than what is going on the pitch. Mullins and co are commentating on what they are seeing directly on the pitch whilst Oz is picking up things from the camera views. Hence, he makes the comment needs to be looked at. I have no issue with this even if it is against our own.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

I always thought he was an exceptional analyst when he was with the BBC doing quick snippets and video analysis. Often drawing attention to things off the ball a phase or two earlier that set things up.

Wasted as a commentator IMO
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiger_in_Birmingham wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:11 am
I always thought he was an exceptional analyst when he was with the BBC doing quick snippets and video analysis. Often drawing attention to things off the ball a phase or two earlier that set things up.

Wasted as a commentator IMO
He isn’t a commentator those are usually either Eykin or Mullins, he is a summariser